Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Help With "Firming Up" A Screw

Default Seeking Help With "Firming Up" A Screw

I just got a little Kustom PA-50 personal p.a. system. I have previously owned one and liked it so much that I decided to add another, as they can be "daisy-chained" for certain situations. The carrying handle on these little units is much like you'd find on similar pieces of equipment, and consists of a strip of flexible plastic-y material, about six inches in length, held down by a little steel bracket on each end (each bracket being screwed down to the top of the unit with a single "machine" style screw about an inch in length); there's enough "slack" so that you can slip your fingers under the strip to pick the unit up. It weighs about fifteen pounds. Whenever I get an item like this, I like to take my screwdriver and kind of double-check to make sure that all of the screws have been tightened properly at the factory. On this unit, I noticed that one of the "bracket screws" seemed like it didn't give a lot of resistance when I checked it, and when I started to tighten it up, I could tell that I might soon be in danger of "stripping it out". So I carefully removed that screw, with the intention of doing the old "toothpick" method of firming things up in that screw hole. However, when I inserted the toothpick section, it fell all the way into the unit; so it appears that this particular screw hole goes all the way through the top of the unit. Under these circumstances, would my best option be to just get a screw with a slightly larger diameter, or is there another approach that might work better? So far, I have wrapped the existing screw with plumber's tape and re-inserted it, and although it feels fairly tight (maybe a "seven" on a scale of ten) and probably isn't going anywhere, it's bugging me a little that it's not super-tight like the other bracket screw. Any thoughts (including "leave it alone!") would be appreciated as always! Thanks!

Would a wooden match fill the hole so it could be glued in?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    If you can get your fingers inside, I suggest a nut, bolt and washers.
    Unfortunately, Bill, there's no access to the inside, but I do appreciate that suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Would a wooden match fill the hole so it could be glued in?
    Ah, I think I see what you're saying-- get a matchstick (or a couple if necessary) coated with glue so that it'll "suspend" inside the hole securely, and then maybe wait overnight for it to dry, and then try re-installing the screw?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Ah, I think I see what you're saying-- get a matchstick (or a couple if necessary) coated with glue so that it'll "suspend" inside the hole securely, and then maybe wait overnight for it to dry, and then try re-installing the screw?
    If you're not able to get access to the inside then this or something similar might be your only option. Yes, use glue and match(es) to refill the hole, let it dry and drill an appropriate size pilot hole in the same spot and reinstall the screw or do the same thing to firm up that spot and drill the appropriate size pilot hole just to the right or left of the old hole so you're screwing into solid wood rather than a repaired spot.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

I like the plumber's tape idea and leave it alone
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

Hahahahaha! Thanks Jim! And should I then celebrate that decision with a couple of beers??!! Sounds pretty good, actually!
    And seriously, for the relatively little stress I'm going to be putting on it, the option of "leaving well enough alone" may have a good deal of merit.
    The tricky thing here is that the screw hole in question has no discernible bottom, so there's nothing for any "filler" material to push up against.

I’ve had good luck with Gorilla Glue.
    It expands when it get wet.
    Keep Strummin'

Don't use a matchstick ! Drill a bigger hole and glue in a hardwood dowel , then redrill it for the size of the screw.
    You could also drill a new hole next to the stripped one.
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 11-13-2019 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Old Age
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Try moving the hole to the side about 1/4 inch.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert

Thread Information