Fluke Project

Jerryc41

Reaction score
This has been smoldering the back of my mind, and I hope to get to it some day. I bought a Fluke that has a pickup in the center of the flat bottom. Unless I drill a hole in the floor, I can't stand it up.

My plan is to remove the pickup body and relocate it so it's on the bottom side of the uke when I'm playing it. Then I would have to plug the hole somehow, while leaving the bottom flat.

The big problem is gaining access to the inside of the uke to hold the pickup while I loosen the outside nut. I can probably leave the adhesive bit under the bridge, but I'll have the same problem of inserting the pickup body into the new hole on the side.

I have a boroscope attachment for my phone, but I'll also need some kind of long tool to grasp the pickup body.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. If I ever get around to this, I'll post pictures.

4.jpg

EDIT: A quick look showed me two ways to install the pickup body - with a dowel and with a pickup cable. Push either one through the hole, plug it into the pickup, and pull it back through the hole. Easy Peasy.

Cable.jpg Dowel.jpg

Last edited:
Just use/plug in a cable through the hole to guide it into its new position, that's what most folk do.

(You don't have to fill the old hole, it doesn't make any difference to the sound if left empty.)

EDIT: I see you got that method sorted, whilst I was writing my post. ;)

Last edited:
Just use/plug in a cable through the hole to guide it into its new position, that's what most folk do.

(You don't have to fill the old hole, it doesn't make any difference to the sound if left empty.)

EDIT: I see you got that method sorted, whilst I was writing my post. ;)

Thanks for that. Maybe just black electrical tape over that hole.

Did you paint that or did it come painted!! I was thinking of painting mine too but I CANNOT work with acrylics so I used my oil paints trying to just do a single layer, and added liquin to make it dry faster (it can take like more than a month to fully dry out a canvas, boo ) but after doing a small part and testing it out the sound was noticeably more muted sounding so I settled for a simple rosette :(

Top Bottom