Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car uke: Outdoor, Enya, or (shudder) Waterman?

Default Car uke: Outdoor, Enya, or (shudder) Waterman?

Greetings,

Seeking as close to a quality all-weather uke as you can find for a reasonable price. (Sorry, Blackbird.)

It must be soprano or concert scale. I can’t play tenor (or Klos would be an option.)

I’ve played the Waterman soprano and hated it. The action, intonation, sound. The concert scale may be better. I guess I could try to track one down at a big box store.

I’ve also played an Outdoor v 2.0. But not the carbon. It was fine, but didn’t grab me, although I do like the looks. I could live with it, I suppose. I was hoping for something really fun, like my Flea.

I’ve read favorable reviews of the Enya Nova. But I guess I’d have to borrow one to test it. Plus, I guess I need to be prepared for the paint to chip off or give way if we have extreme temps.

So, help!

For those who’ve experienced these options, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I have an outdoor carbon tenor. I have owned a concert waterman. I gave away the waterman and it was a good ukulele but yes, the intonation is bad. I’ve never played a soprano outdoor ukulele. For travel I absolutely love my Flight TUS35. Maybe check those out. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Greetings,

Seeking as close to a quality all-weather uke as you can find for a reasonable price. (Sorry, Blackbird.)

It must be soprano or concert scale. I can’t play tenor (or Klos would be an option.)

I’ve played the Waterman soprano and hated it. The action, intonation, sound. The concert scale may be better. I guess I could try to track one down at a big box store.

I’ve also played an Outdoor v 2.0. But not the carbon. It was fine, but didn’t grab me, although I do like the looks. I could live with it, I suppose. I was hoping for something really fun, like my Flea.

I’ve read favorable reviews of the Enya Nova. But I guess I’d have to borrow one to test it. Plus, I guess I need to be prepared for the paint to chip off or give way if we have extreme temps.

So, help!

For those who’ve experienced these options, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!
    Are you sure you can't use the Flea? I have read some posts where people leave them in cars.Blackbirds can't be left in the car as the neck can warp, so those wouldn't have met your needs if they were cheaper.

I know that I am in the minority here, but I see absolutely no sense in an outdoor/car uke. To me, the uke you take with you to the car is the car uke. It is also the driveway uke when you're on the driveway and the house uke when you enter the house. With that being said, my recommendation for your car uke would be a nice mahogany Martin concert. It would sound so good and think of the acoustics in your enclosed vehicle.

I would also consider adding the Flight travel uke into that list. They are good players and quite durable

The Waterman concert is better than the soprano, though still not great. But if you go with a Waterman, your best bet is to try it out beforehand. I've played one with intonation issues and another without intonation issues but with fret buzz. I think if you can find one that doesn't have any issues, it's a good choice for a durable ukulele.

That said, I've resorted to keeping a cheap wood laminate in my car, which doesn't usually get parked in extreme temperatures during the day or night.

Thanks for the advice so far.

My idea is to leave it in the car all the time. Otherwise I'd pick up another Flea (not one with the Koa top and wooden fretboard) or a Flight Travel. Or use my Famous. Wood, even laminate, can't handle the temp and humidity fluctuations here. But I do like something I can play while at work, or if I'm stuck waiting during errands, etc.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

When you say you've tried a laminate, Rick, was it living in a gig bag, or just lying around the car, I ask because a gig bag can insulate the uke from the temperatures, most of the time.

Having said that, if it were me, I'd likely use my Kala KA-SLNG long neck soprano.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
    Thanks! It does.

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Thread Information