Car uke: Outdoor, Enya, or (shudder) Waterman?

Well, if you want to talk about insulating your uke, why not put a cooler in the trunk, maybe with an ice pack? I"m only half joking here. Also, the trunk probably won't get as hot as the rest of the car since there are no windows to let in the sun.

Someone has to develop a cooler for items we don't want to get too hot or cold while they're in the car - like cameras and ukuleles. Something like the one linked below, but without the extreme cooling.

https://smile.amazon.com/Electric-R...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Makala Dolphin ukes are pretty durable and fun to play. I've heard of folks leaving them in their cars with no problems.

I'll add my two cents. I bought my son an Outdoor soprano and my daughter the Enya Nova. I prefer the sound and playability of the Outdoor uke. It also seems more durable for living in a car. However, the Enya does come in a pretty pink if that's your thing.

Makala Dolphin ukes are pretty durable and fun to play. I've heard of folks leaving them in their cars with no problems.

The two issues with the Makala Dolphin/Shark and Flight TUS 35 (Also the Panda Watercolor) is the wood soundboard and bridge, as well as the plastic itself ABS. They are great ukuleles for beginners and durable--but heat isn't going to be friendly to the ABS, which is very different in how it deals with heat than polycarbonate, and also the issue of a bridge potentially giving way in the heat.

I'll add my two cents. I bought my son an Outdoor soprano and my daughter the Enya Nova. I prefer the sound and playability of the Outdoor uke. It also seems more durable for living in a car. However, the Enya does come in a pretty pink if that's your thing.

I'm with you 50% of the way.

The Outdoor's neck and action are amazing (although I've recently heard about some Outdoor Ukuleles that have had very bad action...but I haven't seen this myself).

As for sound, I'm on the side of the Enya. I have a video coming soon that I still have to edit that demonstrates what I hear. And I'll also say that there was a recent thread on Facebook where a person was demonstrating really bad intonation on brand new Outdoor Ukuleles (soprano) which is crazy to me, as my Outdoor Ukuleles are no better or worse with intonation than any other ukulele I own.

Enya is selling it for $79.99, while Amazon has it priced $10 higher. Now it's down to $88 on Amazon. I see that pickup is "available" for $100, which is considerably more than the uke itself. For $79.99 with the pickup, I'd order one right now.

EDIT: SHIP IN 2 BUSINESS DAYS

Made of carbon fiber composite polycarbonate.
TransAcoustic pickup system available.
30-day return & refund.
One-year US warranty.
Lifetime free ukulele strings.

Last edited:
I don't have a uke that just lives in the car. But I do have my old Makala concert that has gone through some very harsh conditions. I paid $65 for it new. It was my first uke and I still play it, I like the sound of it so well. After a year I upgraded. Over the years since then I have done everything possible with that uke. I goes everywhere. It has survived trips to the beach, my grand daughter filled it with sand, summer afternoons in a hot car, bicycle rides, it even survived two hurricanes. I'm just saying that I don't know of anything more I would expect a ukulele to live through. It is battle worn, but still plays well. Just my thought on the subject. I'm not sure that one needs to pay a lot of money for something supposedly designed to be indestructible. Maybe some day I will find my poor Makala just couldn't take it any longer and it will be laying in the back of my car or the bottom of my canoe in a million pieces. But so far, so good.

I kept our Soprano Martin OX in the car during the summer. It was fine. But it has been less happy with the cold. Although perhaps this was due to the tuners needing tightening. In the meanwhile it goes inside a big bag and in and out of the car. I'll have to contact Martin and find out are the recommended temperature limits etc.

I kept our Soprano Martin OX in the car during the summer. It was fine. But it has been less happy with the cold. Although perhaps this was due to the tuners needing tightening. In the meanwhile it goes inside a big bag and in and out of the car. I'll have to contact Martin and find out are the recommended temperature limits etc.

What is the typical high temp for you in the summer?

The two issues with the Makala Dolphin/Shark and Flight TUS 35 (Also the Panda Watercolor) is the wood soundboard and bridge, as well as the plastic itself ABS. They are great ukuleles for beginners and durable--but heat isn't going to be friendly to the ABS, which is very different in how it deals with heat than polycarbonate, and also the issue of a bridge potentially giving way in the heat.
Flight has recently changed there bridge design so hopefully fixed.

The waterman has a design issue, the top pulls down, moving the saddle closer to the nut. It can be rectified, but hot weather will simply bend it back again. Well done kala for releasing a flawed uke. Also , you will need to lower the bridge, re cut the nut etc, so its hardly worth the effort. I wonder if in the UK they should be taken to court via trading standards for selling something that does not meet the spec?

Flight has recently changed there bridge design so hopefully fixed.

The saddle is replaceable, and there is a second saddle included when they feel the action is too high. But I believe that the bridge is still plastic.

Incidentally, I'm in touch with Flight on a regular basis--very nice people--and I hope to see one of the new long neck TUS 35 models soon.

One piece of advice is to look at how the uke reacts when it gets hot or cold.
Yes an Outdoor uke can cope with being hot and cold. No you can't play it when it is hot, you wont be able to hold it and it wont stay in tune. This is true of most ukes, even wooden ones which survive. So while a uke might be able to get hot and cool down without damage, you wont be able to do much with it when it is hot.

I suggest a Mahalo U30 (not made anymore you have to find a used one) or similar with a good set-up and strings. Hanging by your hat or coat in the hall or entry. When you go out you put on your hat or coat or both and pick up the uke and put it in the car, which wont get hot while you are in it. When you park, make sure the uke is out of direct sun light, maybe wrapped in a layer of insulation like a towel, if you are not taking the uke along. When you get home or to the workplace hang the uke up with your hat and coat. You wont need a case or a bag for this uke.

The OutDoor uke is a great outdoor uke. You are not outdoors sitting in your car. Its great strapped onto a backpack or bicycle rack on an adventure. Its not going to be much use after spending a few hours in a hot car, nor is any uke for that matter.

Bill hit the target again and I would also echo positive stuff about an old Makala Concert (as mentioned by RLink).

I’ve an old U30 which cost me very little. A good set-up and some decent strings gave me a very affordable take anywhere instrument; maybe I’ve been lucky but second hand U30’s are as cheap as chips (manufacture was a bit variable and few understand that you have to set them up and put decent strings on them). Of course we don’t get the same extreme temperatures in the U.K. that are ‘seen’ in the USA but Australia do see high temperatures ... An Enya or OU might be perfection and might even survive for centuries - I’m not sure that that’s environmentally sound - but I’d rather save my pennies and have my old U30.

Last edited:
Ihave a ENYA in each car ALL the time, no worries ,they keep well

My tough beater uke is an Enya too, but it's one of the HPL models. No worries about paint or warping with those.

My Waterman is fine in my office. It plays well to the seventh fret once I changed the strings. The hardest thing is not to give in to the temptation on Zoom calls to click off my camera and microphone and play it while listening to meetings.

What would you think of the Shark as a car uke? I live by the Chesapeake Bay where summer temps are normally high 90s in the shade and the humidity is enough to make you swim through the air. I was thinking of gettin an Outdoor, but I don't really have extra cash at the moment and I already own a Shark. The soprano scale is not really comfortable for me, but I can make do with it. Really my only concern is the neck, and I was wondering if you have an opinion on the Shark as a go anywhere beater?

Thanks

Top Bottom