Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guitalele with radiussed fretboard

Thanks everyone. Impossible to spend those hundreds of $ without handling one, and here in the UK no stores seem to have guitaleles in stock. Noah is another brand, well reviewed. Pono at 48mm sounds good. Visiting NY for a week soon, will see if there is a good store there to actually play one of the brands recommended here.
    Trying! (Apparently very trying...)

Quote Originally Posted by jnorris235 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Impossible to spend those hundreds of $ without handling one, and here in the UK no stores seem to have guitaleles in stock. Noah is another brand, well reviewed. Pono at 48mm sounds good. Visiting NY for a week soon, will see if there is a good store there to actually play one of the brands recommended here.
    In the UK, Noah is probably the one to get. I asked about it last time I was looking and they would not ship to US.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

Maybe look into a Spanish requinto (tuned A to A) or alto guitar—they're basically just another term for guitalele. I've seen models from Spanish makers such as Almanza, Alhambra and Ramirez, as well as Japanese models from Aria and Asturias. Also, the terz guitar is worth a look (tuned G to G) and is most common in Germany as I recall.

Really and truly.......just get a Cordoba Mini. I know it doesn’t have the *radius* but meets all your other criteria including price. I understand about wanting a radius fretboard, I am a big fan but at your price point it’s not going to happen. I have a Romero baritone 6 string, it’s has a radius but they are over $1000.00. I have played my friends Cordoba Mini with the flat fret board and it sounds and plays extremely close to as good as my Romero.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Really and truly.......just get a Cordoba Mini. I know it doesn’t have the *radius* but meets all your other criteria including price.
    True dat. I have a strong preference for 19" vs 20" scale so I sold my Mini. But it's a great choice.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

Thanks to Wukulele and Lapyang for actually measuring the Pono's nut width and posting a picture of the caliper reading. Finally, the specs posted on HMS website about the nut being 1 3/4" (44.5mm) are proven wrong. When I was getting ready to buy an AB6 or MB6, I asked Corey about the nut width and he just repeated the numbers on their spec sheet, so I abstained from ordering one. I was a bit surprised about his reply, because when I talked to John Kitakis from Pono about making such a model, he mentioned the nut width would be 48mm, which now appears to be the case.

I'm a crossover player, my favorite fretboard is right in the middle of a classical and an acoustic guitar, with a radius fretboard and a nut width of about 48mm. 45mm is too narrow for me to form chord shapes like 002220 comfortably, whereas 50mm or more is too wide and flat, thus hurting the root of my index finger when having to reach onto the fretboard. I know plenty of people are comfortable with those narrow fretboards of accoustic guitars or with the wide and flat fretboard of a classical guitar, so this is all just personal preference, but for me, a guitar of such a short scale length needs a radius and a nut width of 48 mm.

Dave and Jim are probably right: If you can do without the radius fretboard, then the Cordoba Mini (or the Islander GL6 that seems to come from the same Chinese factory) is a fairly safe and inexpensive way to go. For me, however, having a radius fretboard is well worth the upgrade to something like the Pono or Romero Creations (along with the fact that I prefer their design and quality over the Cordoba).

By the way: I'm pretty sure the friendly folks of Southern Ukulele Store would order the Pono AB6 and/or MB6 and let you test drive it at their store in Bournemouth. I'm sure it would be worth a drive down there, and if you won't like it, they'll sell it to somebody else who will.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

Decision made: Await quote from Noah for radiussed version if he will. If not then Bournemouth to check out a Pono. Thanks - glad there are some like minds out there!!
    Trying! (Apparently very trying...)

If you decide on a Pono you can contact HMS and they might be able to get you the Pono.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

There is one PONO SOLID ACACIA GUILELE (AB-6 7994) left as part of their sale announced 9 hours ago. Price dropped from $639USD to $499USD (385.28GBP). The big drop in price might offset shipping/customs. Stunning deal IMO.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...hu-case-2.html
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

Thread Information