Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitalele with radiussed fretboard

Default Guitalele with radiussed fretboard

Looking for a baritone style (for space between frets), 50mm nut (same reason), with radiussed fretboard (my tenor pono has this and its great).
    I think I have read every guitalele thread on here and tried to compare details - but yet to find if what I want exists! Islander, Kala, Kanilea, Cordoba, Noah, KoAloha flat. Romero way out of my league
    I have bought a Yamaha GL1 and I find it difficult to play, and not that good a sound. But then it was very cheap and I know its going to cost me a few hundred ££ to get what I want!!
    Trying! (Apparently very trying...)

Pono makes a baritone sized guilele with a radius fingerboard, but the nut width is less than 50mm, I think more like 44mm.

Having made that same search for years, I'd say Romero is closest to what you are looking for (as far as production line instruments go).
    Last edited by Rakelele; 11-13-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Pono makes a baritone sized guilele with a radius fingerboard, but the nut width is less than 50mm, I think more like 44mm.

Having made that same search for years, I'd say Romero is closest to what you are looking for (as far as production line instruments go).
    I haven't looked seriously at the Pono but I'd be surprised if it was that narrow. But FWIW, I had the Córdoba C1M with a 44mm nut and it really wasn't bad.

My Jupiter fits the description and is in roughly the same league price-wise as the Romero DH6 (maybe a little higher now). I agree there's nothing "cheap" with a radius.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

The Pono kiku is too narrow for me—unplayable. The Romero Creations Baritone 6 is 49mm at the nut and has a mild radius. Sounds pretty dad burn decent too.

https://fraryguitar.com/romero_creat...ne6_review.htm

If you like your tenor Pono, then their guilele is likely going to be a pretty good fit. They aren’t always around on https://www.theukulelesite.com/catal...q=Pono+guilele . I had to get mine from Reverb (from someone who said they loved it but neck was too small for them). But they have some in stock right now.
    D9B036C1-199D-43CB-A159-0E8BF0E0560A.jpg
    If they run out by the time you’re ready, you may want to give the, a call. That was the only way I was able to get my Romero TT6

LMK if you want me to compare the necks (depth, shape).

You write "££" so presumably you're in Europe. Rakelele has ordered from HMS to Europe, I think, if you need feedback on that. Also, since Southern Ukulele has a lot of Ponos on their site, I wonder if they could do a special order for you...

Quote Originally Posted by jnorris235 View Post
    Looking for a baritone style (for space between frets), 50mm nut (same reason), with radiussed fretboard (my tenor pono has this and its great).
    I think I have read every guitalele thread on here and tried to compare details - but yet to find if what I want exists! Islander, Kala, Kanilea, Cordoba, Noah, KoAloha flat. Romero way out of my league
    I have bought a Yamaha GL1 and I find it difficult to play, and not that good a sound. But then it was very cheap and I know its going to cost me a few hundred ££ to get what I want!!
    Last edited by Wukulele; 11-13-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

Pono, sadly 45mm! I think the Romero is way put of my price range too. I find switching from a 38mm uke’s 4 strings to a 45mm ukes’s 6 strings too hard for the shapes especially. Fingerpicking would take some getting used to too. Cant find anything over here thats even flat necked to try out. Will email our UK shops which apart from the Uke Room (Matt Stead) are a long way away.
    Last edited by jnorris235; 11-14-2019 at 06:26 AM.
    Trying! (Apparently very trying...)

Yes, according to HMS specs, the Pono guilele is 1.75" or 44.5mm. Kanile'a's Islander GL6 has a 50mm nut albeit no radius. The GL6 has the most comfortable guilele fingerboard I've played.

Default take published specs with a grain of salt

In my year of trying & buying ukes, I've learned to take published specs with a grain of salt. And even when published nut widths are correct, the shape of the neck matters as it also changes the amount of neck that's in one's hand.

Hand measured, caliper flush on all strings though it may not look like it.
    Romero TT6 nut = 50mm
    RomeroTT6Knut.jpg

Pono AB6 nut ≈ 48+mm
    PonoAB6nut.jpg

I think the whom I bought my baritone-length Pono AB6 happily ended up with a Kanile'a GL6 (no radius, as far as I know). Since Kanile'a also makes Islander GL6's, if you can give up the radius, that may be a more economical option.

Keep in mind classical guitar players usually play, especially fingerpick, on instruments with totally flat fretboards. When fingerpicking, having a radius is, IMO for now, arguably, somewhat less important than strumming a chord since there's a bit of time to adjust the left hand in synch w/ what the right fingers are doing.
    When I was looking, I also looked at some parlors/fractional guitars, though budget-wise guitars can be a big step up.

FWIW, I also have another guilele guitarlele kiku that's 42mm at the nut. Definitely too narrow for the vast majority of hands out there.

Am really glad that I am totally done looking for guileles. Good luck w/ your search.

Quote Originally Posted by jnorris235 View Post
    Pono, sadly 45mm! I think the Romero is way put of my price range too. I find switching from a 38mm uke’s 4 strings to a 45mm ukes’s 6 strings too hard for the shapes especially. Fingerpicking would take some getting used to too. Cant find anything over here thats even flat necked to try out. Will email our UK shops which apart from the Uke Room (Matt Stead) are a long way away.
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

Using calipers to measure, the nut on my TT6 is 49.41mm. I'm guessing they all vary a wee bit but wider is always better for me. The Kanile'a GL6 can be ordered with a radius if you do a custom order. I saw one at HMS a few months back.

I own the Pono Guilele. It is 48mm nut, not 45mm as stated on the HMS site. I actually purchased it from HMS and told them about the mistake. I am surprised they have not corrected it yet. 20 in scale, with 16in radius fretboard. Very comfortable to play.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

Joseph

Thread Information