Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NUD: Pineapple Sunday six string

Default I love strumming it!

I stopped by KoAloha when we were in Honolulu last month and brought by my 6 string pineapple for a “check up”. They asked if I minded if they restrung it - of course not. They did change out my high G for a low g. From string #1 down it’s
    High A, low a, E, low c, high C, low G. It sounds fantastic. I use mine as a strummer’s uke. Spoke with Pop’s and took a tour. They’re always doing something new there. They have this wall where you just keep taking down ukes and playing....

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
    I stopped by KoAloha when we were in Honolulu last month and brought by my 6 string pineapple for a “check up”. They asked if I minded if they restrung it - of course not. They did change out my high G for a low g. From string #1 down it’s
    High A, low a, E, low c, high C, low G. It sounds fantastic. I use mine as a strummer’s uke. Spoke with Pop’s and took a tour. They’re always doing something new there. They have this wall where you just keep taking down ukes and playing....
    Congrats to you both! I think I first saw one of these when maybe (Aaron?) of H.M.S./ukulelesite got one and posted it on here. If I could have any PS that would be the one! I dunno about the Low G though... re-entrant sound is what initially hooked me and was used for almost a century on the original smaller bodied ukes. I’m not doubting the crew over at KoAloha - it all “sounds good” with their builds especially if you are plugging in forget it. But for acoustic only I just can’t deny the late great Dirk from Southcoast Ukes research and rediscovery of David Kawika Herd’s research on body size vs sound being at or below resonance with certain tunings. In standard linear tuning a Low G is best left for full size tenor bodies to be at resonance, better yet tenor body baritone scale for best stringing options. Keep plinkin’
    Last edited by King David; 01-20-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Great story Ben. What a thrill to meet both Fred Sr. at Kamaka and then Pops Okami at Ko'Aloha! Just fantastic. To top it off with your find of a 6-string Pineapple Sunday at HMS made by Pops is truly an additional unforgettable memory for your honeymoon. I hope your husband found something equally thrilling for him.

Congratulations on your marriage as well. May you have a lifetime of joy together.
    Thank you so much!
    -Ben

KoAloha Pineapple Sunday 6 String
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor
    1928 Harmony Johnny Marvin
    Ohana TK-39
    c. 1970's Hikare Baritone
    Gretsch G9100
    Outdoor Ukulele Soprano #43

Videos

Thread Information