NUD: Pineapple Sunday six string

bynapkinart

Reaction score
Well here is a NUD thread I never expected to get to post, but I never imagined I'd get to tell this kind of story. I'm not religious at all but I've always kept an eye on how the universe tends to come together like clockwork in certain ways, and its experiences like these that allow me to feel truly grateful for this little instrument we all adore.

A few weeks ago my partner and I got married, and we celebrated our honeymoon with two weeks on Oahu, staying in a little AirBnB in the middle of Waikiki off Kuhio and soaking in the beach every morning and all the different foods for most of the rest of each day. The whole trip I knew I had clearance to buy one ukulele, and I knew it would be Hawaiian, and I had a vague idea that it would be fun if that one ukulele happened to be an old Kamaka pineapple, but I wasn't going to rule anything out besides another tenor -- I've got that size figured out.

One morning we decided it would be the factory tour day and headed down to the manufacturer of my tenor and the oldest builder on the island: Kamaka. I was thrilled that the tour was started by 95-year-old Fred Sr, and it was great to meet the current generation and see the facility operating in full swing. There are a few threads which detail the tour, and if you're on the island and haven't gone I'd highly recommend, however I'm doing it no justice at all because of how the rest of the day went.

After Kamaka, we had to run a couple of errands at the big mall in Honolulu, Ala Moana, and it happens that KoAloha's factory is right down the road so we decided to go there at our own pace whenever we wrapped up our errands. As it happened, by the time we ended our errands and walked into the factory, we just happened to be 20 minutes into the start of their tour, which on that day happened to be given by Pops Okami himself. (Cue look of shock on this white boy's face, as a pleasant but clueless group of cruise ship tourists look on). I nudge my partner and try to surreptitiously convey the importance of this energetic little guy in front of us ("Babe, that's Pops!") before he shakes our hands and introduces himself and I geek out for half a second about, specifically, the Pineapple Sunday. He is kind of taken aback and tells us to come find him after the tour wraps up, which we do (the KoAloha tour is ALSO very cool, and worthy of its own thread, and TOTALLY worth going to on the same day as another factory because they're all so different).

What ensued was, no joke, two hours of my husband and I hanging out with Pops, hearing the story of the first Pineapple Sunday, getting to play his personal prototype AND his personal pyrography Pineapple Sunday that he calls his Stradivarius, and some of the prototypes for his upcoming masterpiece designs, custom builds...and as we talk I'm coming to the understanding that this guy puts his whole being into everything that he designs and builds. He wants to create a pineapple ukulele, but it can't just be a "pineapple-inspired" ukulele, it has to make you automatically think "that's a pineapple!". He wants a body style to stand out, notices people have loved his headstock design, so why don't we make a uke out of that? Celebrating the 50's? Clearly, make a uke out of a Jukebox. He is a mad scientist, and an innovator, and a tinkerer, a great singer, and has a really great ear, and it's wild to see all of those qualities come together in a person that is as humble and vulnerable as Pops is willing to be.

After I came away from that conversation I was left with two feelings: that I wanted to buy an instrument build by Pops' hands and mind; and that I am grateful that these two builders, Kamaka and KoAloha, both exist and carry their spirits forward in their unique ways.

Obviously, the man made a few offers that I found it incredibly difficult to weigh, but a few days later we ended up heading up to the north shore to spend half the day in Haleiwa, which means a stop by Hawaii Music Supply AKA The Ukulele Site. After a few minutes of aimlessly browsing, my eyes caught a Pineapple Sunday hanging there....but was it a six string? Huh, I've never heard of a six string Pineapple Sunday before....wonder what it sounds like?

It took one strum and everything felt so right: the octave C and A strings give it a really full and rich blooming tone and the koa keeps it nice and warm. The balance and feel of the instrument just clicked perfectly, and I walked out of HMS that day with my personal holy grail of a ukulele. I play songs like "Air" by Taimane and the octave strings lend themselves to chiming, ringing overtones, and can transition to things like "Landslide" where the soft discordance between the octaves give it that amazing 12-string sound. I spent the rest of the honeymoon strumming this on the lanai every sunrise and sunset, getting to know the little nuances in the wood and getting used to the feel of the extra tone, and after having spent a couple of weeks with it now I can say it's every bit as addictive as I was hoping it would be. It's different enough from my tenor that I frequently switch between both between songs on the couch, and it's so fun to have such a different type of tone available.

Most of all though, I've enjoyed the faces of friends I've played for so far. First the wry smiles at the outrageousness of the looks of the thing, then the open astonishment at the sound of it paired with the looks. I'm going to attempt to record some sound samples soon, but for now the pictures will have to do!

P94IHWX.jpg

tSz0vk3.jpg

SmoBK9j.jpg

Just to add on to the above, I ended up following up with Pops about this one since it is so particular with the six strings, and he was able to share a little bit of information about it. Shortly after launching the model, Paul Okami converted one of the bodies that was bound to be a super-concert into a six string, and Pops loved it. He ended up keeping the prototype built by his son, and built maybe a half dozen other six stringers before focusing on the four string models. So it's both a little fun and a little sad to think about only a few of these ukuleles floating around the world, when it seems like such a natural fit for six strings!

Okay, I’ve got of of those half dozen. Went back and forth using a high G vs low one. I’ve settled with the high G but everything else I have has a low so it sounds super different to me. I had a regular 4 string Pineapple Sunday but sold it and found I missed having it. (Love the look) Saw a used 6 string on Underground and the rest is history. I find it works nicely for strumming.
Enjoy!

Wow congrats.

Wait, we've seen the pictures. Now for the sound :). Please post a video or a sound clip. Please.

Okay, I’ve got of of those half dozen. Went back and forth using a high G vs low one. I’ve settled with the high G but everything else I have has a low so it sounds super different to me. I had a regular 4 string Pineapple Sunday but sold it and found I missed having it. (Love the look) Saw a used 6 string on Underground and the rest is history. I find it works nicely for strumming.
Enjoy!

Thank you! Your posts definitely came up when I was trying to find out any info about the six string version, so that's fun we've got a couple of them accounted for. I was thinking about switching to a low G but since I've got my tenor in a low G right now I feel like I should ride out the low A on the Pineapple. It's definitely a great strummer!

Thank you! Your posts definitely came up when I was trying to find out any info about the six string version, so that's fun we've got a couple of them accounted for. I was thinking about switching to a low G but since I've got my tenor in a low G right now I feel like I should ride out the low A on the Pineapple. It's definitely a great strummer!

Wow what a find, congratulations. And yes, stay away from low G for a 6 string, the low A works much, much better.

Wow what a find, congratulations. And yes, stay away from low G for a 6 string, the low A works much, much better.

Thank you! A couple of months have passed and it's still in the original configuration, and I'm definitely happy with where it is. It's probably my favorite uke to pick off the wall and strum something relaxing with, where I usually pick up my Kamaka for fingerpicking and technical pieces. I just love the sound of it strummed!

Great story Ben. What a thrill to meet both Fred Sr. at Kamaka and then Pops Okami at Ko'Aloha! Just fantastic. To top it off with your find of a 6-string Pineapple Sunday at HMS made by Pops is truly an additional unforgettable memory for your honeymoon. I hope your husband found something equally thrilling for him.

Congratulations on your marriage as well. May you have a lifetime of joy together.

I love strumming it!

I stopped by KoAloha when we were in Honolulu last month and brought by my 6 string pineapple for a “check up”. They asked if I minded if they restrung it - of course not. They did change out my high G for a low g. From string #1 down it’s
High A, low a, E, low c, high C, low G. It sounds fantastic. I use mine as a strummer’s uke. Spoke with Pop’s and took a tour. They’re always doing something new there. They have this wall where you just keep taking down ukes and playing....

I stopped by KoAloha when we were in Honolulu last month and brought by my 6 string pineapple for a “check up”. They asked if I minded if they restrung it - of course not. They did change out my high G for a low g. From string #1 down it’s
High A, low a, E, low c, high C, low G. It sounds fantastic. I use mine as a strummer’s uke. Spoke with Pop’s and took a tour. They’re always doing something new there. They have this wall where you just keep taking down ukes and playing....

Congrats to you both! I think I first saw one of these when maybe (Aaron?) of H.M.S./ukulelesite got one and posted it on here. If I could have any PS that would be the one! I dunno about the Low G though... re-entrant sound is what initially hooked me and was used for almost a century on the original smaller bodied ukes. I’m not doubting the crew over at KoAloha - it all “sounds good” with their builds especially if you are plugging in forget it. But for acoustic only I just can’t deny the late great Dirk from Southcoast Ukes research and rediscovery of David Kawika Herd’s research on body size vs sound being at or below resonance with certain tunings. In standard linear tuning a Low G is best left for full size tenor bodies to be at resonance, better yet tenor body baritone scale for best stringing options. Keep plinkin’

Last edited:
Great story Ben. What a thrill to meet both Fred Sr. at Kamaka and then Pops Okami at Ko'Aloha! Just fantastic. To top it off with your find of a 6-string Pineapple Sunday at HMS made by Pops is truly an additional unforgettable memory for your honeymoon. I hope your husband found something equally thrilling for him.

Congratulations on your marriage as well. May you have a lifetime of joy together.

Thank you so much!

Top Bottom