"Where's that Uke?"

Jerryc41

Reaction score
If you have identical ukulele case, how do you know what uke is in what case? You can use stickers, or you can do what I do and use labels.

I got two different snap hooks and a bunch or rings. Using name badge inserts, #5390, I printed the name of each uke, laminated the cards, and then found the right size clip for the particular case. Depending on the handle, I will use the large or the small.

I'll post links soon if the site lets me.

Cards -
https://smile.amazon.com/Avery-Badg...ywords=name+tag+inserts&qid=1573730230&sr=8-4

Large (3") snap hooks -
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078V3ZLNZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Small (2.5") snap hooks -
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JC8FHN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Label - Laminated.jpg

Last edited:
All mine are in gig bags, that I write on, with a marker pen what is inside, apart from a couple of odd ones that don't need any form of marking to know what is inside. :)

My cases are all different and shared between multiple ukes, so I can't solve the problem with labels. I have remember what I last used or look in side. Only once have I headed out with an empty case. Good thing I also have a car uke!

I keep my cases labled with my name, and on several (pending getting more made) I put my name and contact info on a pet tag which I can attach to one of the handles or strap rings. I have engraved aluminum tags (like these) on all of my luggage, carry bags, etc. They're small, readable, hardy and decent looking. Depending on the colour they can either blend in or stand out - the one with emergency contact info on my bicycling backpack is garish so it's obvious if needed. Mine are all round, but you can get other shapes. A dog paw to match a Cocobolo side-port, for example

I must be doing something wrong, as I'm actually reducing the number of ukes I own which is making them even easier to identify… ;)

I just use different colored yarn on the handle. Low G is one color, high g is another even though the case looks the same.
But I don't have a large collection, so I don't need a fancier system than that.

Hi tech version: put a Bluetooth tracker (Tile or whatever) on each case: Hey, Siri, find my Cocobolo Tenor! and pick up whichever case rings ;)

Jerry could probably get a volume discount if he wanted to tag all 5390 ukes ;)

Or the dystopic version: Hey HAL, find my ukulele. I want to play Daisy.

I was thinking about getting some of these:

Colorful-Plastic-Key-Fobs-Language-ID-Tags-Labels-Key-Rings-1PC-Exquisite-10-Colors-Hotels-1PCS.jpg

Hi tech version: put a Bluetooth tracker (Tile or whatever) on each case: Hey, Siri, find my Cocobolo Tenor! and pick up whichever case rings ;)

Jerry could probably get a volume discount if he wanted to tag all 5390 ukes ;)

Or the dystopic version: Hey HAL, find my ukulele. I want to play Daisy.

Oh! A 2001 movie reference. Love it.

I use colored luggage tags. Name of the uke visible. My contact information inside. But then, I don't keep all of them in cases. Most are on uke stands in humidified rooms.

My problem was that I had two tweed cases, side by side - one a Moku Soprano (no pickup), one an Ohana Concert( Mi-Si pickup). I had specifically put the Ohana in that position, to grab it for a gig, and grabbed the Moku.

The Concert case has a strap,(pretty obvious, y'know?) and the soprano doesn't. The size is also a dead giveaway. Concert case has a luggage tag. soprano doesn't. Concert is a Uke Crazy case, soprano is not.Different stickers on cases.

I know which case has which uke, for the entire collection - I was running late, trusted my memory, and grabbed and ran. On the bright side, when I gig, I always mic, as well as using the pickups, so I can still get the sound out. My only problem was the Ohana is a Low G, and I use it specifically on two songs. (As it was, we didn't have time to get to those songs anyway, because the group that was on before us ran long.)

I only need to label the ukes for other people...

All of my cases are identical.
I solved that problem.
All my ukes are identical.

Having a senior flashback: "I remember when Dymo Tape was state-of-the-art…"

Though the tape often had the sticking power of a Post-It. After a day of labeling, you'd often find little colored curls forming a Feng Shui haiku on the floor.

Yes, Dymo was good in its day, but now the labelmakers are king of the labels. They really stick.

Love the pet tag idea but for Jerry that would be 71 x 3.49 = 247.79 + possible tax and shipping. but ukes are like beloved pets.

I'd recommend a color code. After all the human eye recognizes more than a million different colors. Plenty of uke right there!

Top Bottom