Ukulele Picks

I've tried all kinds of picks over the years, and my preferences change every so often. It also depends on the strings and the tension. For a while, I liked the very thin white and light grey Dunlop ones, and lately I enjoy the green Jazz pick from Dunlop (Tortex Jazz, it's probably around 0.80mm). The Jazz picks are smaller, which I found works well for me, for now.

I have also experimented with the Alaska Pics after seeing Aaron Keim use them. In theory these should be perfect, but I bumped into two issues: One, having them under the nail feels uncomfortable to me. Two, they need to be shaped with a clipper and a file, and have the plastic strips in the center cut for some fingers, and I could see myself going through quite a few of them in order to get them right. They are not the cheapest here. There is a similar kind that don't go under the nails, the Fred Kelly Picks Freedom finger picks. I am still undecided on those, but they have potential. They are a little thick, though.

I tried felt, leather, and rubber picks, and didn't like any of them. They sound largely like skin, so it's similar to the sound of playing with the pads of the fingers, which I don't enjoy on a uke (it's also very quiet), but this is all very subjective!

You can buy a thing called a "pick punch" to make your own picks out of various materials.
These are fun but make lousy picks. I haven't found any material that it'll punch that works well. The punche picks are often sharp or ragged and need some filing and shaping before they're usable.

I use mine to recycle old credit cards (the non-ID sections), hotel keys, etc. as a souvenir.

I've tried all kinds of picks over the years, and ... lately I enjoy the green Jazz pick from Dunlop (Tortex Jazz, it's probably around 0.80mm). The Jazz picks are smaller, which I found works well for me, for now...

I have always struggled with picking melody leads and have, for the last few iterations, been just finger strumming chords using modified "banjo roll" type arpeggios with a few added melody-ish transition notes. I keep trying to get comfortable with a pick but never seemed to have control.

My latest revelation was tuning 5ths on a soprano so I could use mandolin chords. That is working out great. But I want more! A pick.

I had been trying Dunlop .46 and liking it. I then tried the .38, erroneously thinking a softer pick would make it easier. It was partly from a fear that I might "damage" the nylon strings, or the instrument. I was completely wrong. The .38 is just plain sloppy.

I finally tried a bag of Dunlop 471P3N Max-Grip Reds (Nylon Jazz III). They are small (another unwarranted fear) and easy to control. I can hit the string I want, and where I want to hit it. I get a crisp, clear tone. I can almost do tremolo, and that is an accomplishment never before possible (for me, anyway) with thinner picks.

The bonus is, that it is actually pretty hard to drop one. Now, I need to learn to control my "soprano-lin's" new voice. It will get loud!

[I measured a Dunlop 471P3N - it is about 1.37mm.]

-Wiggy

Last edited:
I used Alaska picks for several years, as my natural nail is very soft and would wear down to the quick with vigorous strumming. My experience is that they are NOT very secure on the up strum if you do not tuck them under the nail. You don't need a lot of nail, but you do need a bit of white to tuck them under. Anyway, they work pretty well. Probably better than anything else out there.

Since I now play other string instruments, I have grown to like a regular pick and use them on my ukes as well as guitar, tenor guitar and mandolin. So I no longer use alaska picks. As for felt, leather or rubbery picks, I dislike the sound and the don't have the right glide or attack on the strings for strumming or picking. Any of the "plasticky" conventional picks are much better. A nice thin pick is a good choice starting off, while you're working on pick technique, and maybe something with a little grip or perforations to help you hold onto it. I use a thick pick for mandolin but still like a med.thin for guitar.

I also now just have a few acrylic nails done on my thumb, pointer and middle finger. They aren't very long and I keep them just natural finish and they don't stand out too much from my other shorter nails and I really like them for finger picking. My nail guy says he does a lot of guitar player. I go to Wal-mart and he charges $10 and they only need touch up every month or so.

Last edited:
I have plenty of plastic picks, some even came with a baritone case I got for my birthday yesterday. Not sure why they'd sell a uke case with guitar picks but there you go...

So I was looking for a leather pic...

4HHTe1I.jpg

Top Bottom