How to finger chords on a Tiple

Poul Hansen

Reaction score
If I just play my Martin T-15 tiple normally, many of the chords sounds awfully and I found out, it's not because of intonation, which is a common problem with Tiples but the thick(low) strings get very sharp if I press them down to the fingerboard. I can make it sound reasonable only when I finger on the fret.

Are there better strings(I don't know what's on it but have bought La Bella TP-20) or should I file down the frets or?

Does the tiple have steel strings and all your other instruments synthetics? If so it is likely that you lack the calluses required to play it without pain. It takes a few weeks of daily playing to get to that.

I play both nylon and steel.The problem arises when I press to hard, then the lower/thicker of the strings gets too sharp.
I can even make vibrato when pressing down so the low string just hits the fret(it then sounds ok) but if I then press more it gets sharp.

But to press 2 thin and 1 thick string at the same time, I need to press harder or only the thick string touches the fret. I try to set my fingers down just over the fret, but that is difficult to hit precisely.

Top Bottom