Thread: NUD: Risa Solid Stick soprano

Default NUD: Risa Solid Stick soprano

Say hello to my new little friend.

IMG_20191114_215016.jpg

I was going to knock together a "silent" practice uke, but decided instead to get a Risa so I could experiment with amplified sounds and distortion as well, something I've never tried. A quick test using iPad software instead of an amp worked well, so now I just have some reading to do so I know how the programs work.

Terrific little uke, very comfortable to hold and play (which surprised me), although rather annoyingly the G string snapped the first time I tried to tune it, which I've never experienced on my other instruments.
    ‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’ - Samuel Johnson

Nice!
    I have played on a couple of those. The latest model after they started putting the planetary geared tuning machines they use now is much better with the tuning than t he early models from many years ago...still a little tricky though. I think it's because the strings have to travel over those extra parts.
    Very well made, fun ukes though. I liked that I could change EQ to get any number of sounds too. I never used mine with effects, but I see how that could be a lot of fun too.

Congratulations! Well done
    Grandma Penny

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    Nice!
    … a little tricky though. I think it's because the strings have to travel over those extra parts.
    After the string snapped I was VERY wary when tuning. Not sure I trust it entirely, since I wasn't being fast or careless when tuning it the first time. You are right, I think, about the extra parts being an issue: graphite guitar lubricant seems to be a recommended remedy.
    ‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’ - Samuel Johnson

I have a concert & a tenor scale, great little instruments, if a little expensive.

Breaking strings happens because of the angle at which they go to the tuners, some people have eased off/chamfered the edges where it goes around the roller/bar, I tune mine up very carefully.

Great ukes for silent practice, travelling, & experimenting.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Very nice. I've often been tempted by them.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Congratulations. I picked up the tenor version a couple of weeks ago to become my new traveller and I was very impressed with the workmanship. I’m planning on switching mine to low g but just haven’t worked up the courage or had the time as of yet. Happy playing!
    Mainland Mango concert
    KoAloha Longneck soprano Pineapple
    Outdoor Ukulele (#28) soprano
    Canora (Canadian school system) soprano
    Kala travel soprano
    Wolfelele soprano
    Islander tenor
    Pono MT tenor
    Kala soprano banjo ukulele
    Pono Acacia tenor electric
    Pono Acacia baritone (BN-1)
    Risa tenor stick

Everybody else does B flat. I do B phlat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Very nice. I've often been tempted by them.
    Oh, Jerry, your collection is sadly missing......

(Check out their Uke Ellie too.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Just for the record, I don't recall ever breaking a string on any of them. I had the soprano, concert, and tenor versions at one time or another. For me, it was just a tuning thing but it was workable. I noticed it just took a little longer for the string to get into its new pitch after turning the peg..so going slow while tuning is definitely a good idea.

Thread Information