NUD: Risa Solid Stick soprano

BigJackBrass

Charlatan, Humbug & Imitation Humorist
UU VIP
Reaction score
Say hello to my new little friend.

IMG_20191114_215016.jpg

I was going to knock together a "silent" practice uke, but decided instead to get a Risa so I could experiment with amplified sounds and distortion as well, something I've never tried. A quick test using iPad software instead of an amp worked well, so now I just have some reading to do so I know how the programs work.

Terrific little uke, very comfortable to hold and play (which surprised me), although rather annoyingly the G string snapped the first time I tried to tune it, which I've never experienced on my other instruments.

Nice!
I have played on a couple of those. The latest model after they started putting the planetary geared tuning machines they use now is much better with the tuning than t he early models from many years ago...still a little tricky though. I think it's because the strings have to travel over those extra parts.
Very well made, fun ukes though. I liked that I could change EQ to get any number of sounds too. I never used mine with effects, but I see how that could be a lot of fun too.

Nice!
… a little tricky though. I think it's because the strings have to travel over those extra parts.

After the string snapped I was VERY wary when tuning. Not sure I trust it entirely, since I wasn't being fast or careless when tuning it the first time. You are right, I think, about the extra parts being an issue: graphite guitar lubricant seems to be a recommended remedy.

I have a concert & a tenor scale, great little instruments, if a little expensive. :)

Breaking strings happens because of the angle at which they go to the tuners, some people have eased off/chamfered the edges where it goes around the roller/bar, I tune mine up very carefully.

Great ukes for silent practice, travelling, & experimenting. :music:

Congratulations. I picked up the tenor version a couple of weeks ago to become my new traveller and I was very impressed with the workmanship. I’m planning on switching mine to low g but just haven’t worked up the courage or had the time as of yet. Happy playing!

Just for the record, I don't recall ever breaking a string on any of them. I had the soprano, concert, and tenor versions at one time or another. For me, it was just a tuning thing but it was workable. I noticed it just took a little longer for the string to get into its new pitch after turning the peg..so going slow while tuning is definitely a good idea.

Top Bottom