Kanilea ukuleles

Nickie

Reaction score
Wow!
I just read that Kanilea Ukuleles Company is planting a new koa tree for every ukulele they've ever sold!
Is that cool, or what?

Hawaii Music Supply recently made a podcast on YouTube with Joe, Kristen and Kamimana Souza of Kanilea. They talk about their efforts with the planting during the podcast.
https://youtu.be/cAksTxXb8PU

Kanile'a's grand "Reforest Hawaii" project is presented really well in the podcast mentioned by keenonuke. Potted plants that one is able to put on their own porch/garden is all well & good but... The project is about restoration of the unique native ecosystem as a whole, in a part of the Big Island, for multiple species, including animals mentioned in the podcast, via koa (& Iliahi Tree) plantings, for future generations. Much of the native environment has been lost due to clear-cutting, ranching, logging, development etc.

"You do not own the tree, you are sponsoring the tree. It will never be cut live or harvested. If your tree dies, another one will be planted in its’ place."

Many acacia trees grow like weeds outside of their native environment... you can get seeds and young koa trees in Florida... get your own koa tree, and if it is like many acacias it will be a nice shade tree within 5 years.... Or you can set up a larger pot on a balcony and grow one.
It is not likely to produce useful wood in your lifetime, it at all, but it will get big enough to sit under...

Buying a ukulele from them (or via dealers & then emailing Kanilea/ReforestHawaii the purchase receipt/serial #) is one way to support this project. And there are a number of additional ways to support it... see https://reforesthawaii.org/shop/ .
One in particular that I like is buying the CD made in support of this project, as well as buying downloadable tracks from from it.

https://www.kanileaukulele.com/product-category/music-accessories/

BackCover-1200x1200.jpg

Ola-Ka-Aina-Music-CD-1.jpg

From the project website:

"“Ola ka ʻĀina, ola ke Kānaka.”
When the Land lives, the People live.

Our Mission is to plant endemic Hawaiian plants and trees that will live out their lives in a native Hawaiian forest.

Our Goal is to encourage others to help revive, replenish, restore, reconnect, and reaffirm people with the native Hawaiian forests by reforesting with endemic Hawaiian plants and trees. We offer individuals and groups the opportunity to sponsor endemic plants and trees that will never be cut or harvested.

Each plant and tree will receive GPS coordinates that will allow the sponsor to locate their tree on Hawai'i Island.

Where: The trees are planted in a well-managed, fenced area on the island of Hawai'i in Kealakeua. Each species will live out its life in a protected native Hawaiian forest.

How: Reforest Hawai`i establishes self-sustaining, multi-species forests to absorb greenhouse gases from the atmosphere and restore natural ecosystems. We put back the mix of native species that would have been present in the local area prior to land clearing. By doing so, our forests also provide a sanctuary for native wildlife who can safely return to their natural habitat.

WHY DOES HAWAI`I NEED OUR HELP?
The Hawaiian Islands have lost about 90% of their endemic rain forests over the past 100 years. The Koa tree is a nitrogen rich species that provides nutrients for all other endemic under-story plants in the rain forest. The Koa is a keystone species that provides food and habitat for Hawai`i’s native insect and plant species. Endemic trees of Hawaii protect the watershed of the ecosystem and combat erosion of the forest floor.
"

Just reminding people about this worthwhile program.

And putting this out for everyone to see:
reforest hawaii.jpg

Remember the trees
Remember our friends
Remember our planet

Just "purchased" my tree :) .... K-2 Super Concert. Sweet sounding gem.

Just "purchased" my tree :) .... K-2 Super Concert. Sweet sounding gem.

Play the heck out of it. :music::nana::music: Few ukes sound better than a mellowed out, played-in Kanile’a Super Concert.

Top Bottom