Workin' hard today for a new uke.

mikelz777

Reaction score
In order to justify getting a new uke that I don't need I've resolved not to spend any money unless it's money I've already spent. In other words, I'm trying to sell a bunch of my stuff in order to raise the funds.

I had the day off today and I ended up spending almost the entire day creating listings on Ebay. It took me from 8:30 this morning until about 4:30 this afternoon (with about an hour for lunch) to create 16 listings. It's a lot of work taking pictures, looking for faults, writing up descriptions and researching items so they can be priced competitively! It's a pretty big pain so I hope it will turn out to be worth it.

Last edited:
I’ll bite... So what are you listening for sale? Maybe some of the members here on the forum can help you out.
Good luck with the sales!
Cheers!

It's kind of niche-y stuff that's going to appeal to a fairly narrow market. I'm selling a bunch of jazz CD box sets and some old-school type comic book collections in trade paper backs and hardcover. I had good luck selling the same kind of stuff to finance past ukes so I'm hopeful.

What new uke are you hoping to purchase?
Hope it all works out for you.

What new uke are you hoping to purchase?
Hope it all works out for you.

I'm looking at a Bonanza Homestead uke. It would be in a tone wood I don't have yet, it's a thinline which I don't have yet and I really like the look and the unique design/construction. I also like that they have a satin type finish. The ukes are made in Minnesota and I'm from/living in MN so I like the idea of that connection as well.

I think the goal is doable. I'm already part way there so $100 to $150 should get me the uke, a hard case and a humidifier.

Its an interesting experience to share.

Do you think it is easier accumulating the stuff and having a sort of on-line garage sale, or just working through the house selling it over a longer period of time?

I've kind of done it both ways. It's nice to sell stuff over a longer period of time and just let the balance of my PayPal account build up for some kind of future unknown-as-of-now purpose. It's a lot less stressful and it's fun to think of what you might want to do with the money. I've purchased 2-3 ukes just because I happened to have a large balance in my PayPal account at the time with no solid plans to buy anything else. Then there's the focused approach where you have a specific thing you want to buy so you start looking around the house to see what you might be able to sell that might make that dream happen. This approach is more stressful and sometimes takes a lot of patience because things won't sell as fast as you'd like them to. I've changed my mind about buying some things during the wait so maybe that's a good thing sometimes.

I went through a long phase of buying up mostly jazz CDs which lasted several years. Lately I've been looking at a good sized box of CD box sets gathering dust and I thought to myself that I easily had several hundred dollars worth of CDs in there. A lot of the sets were out of print. My emotional attachment is no longer there so I knew I could let a lot of them go. I went through a similar but less expansive phase of buying a lot of pre-code era comics and some of the horror/mystery/sci-fi type comic compilations of the kind of stuff I read as a kid. I still like it but now feel I only want to keep a small fraction of what I bought. Fortunately there are a lot of the collector type who look for that kind of stuff. Every now and then I'll think of this stuff and then I get the urge to start listing a bunch of stuff to sell. It's a lot of work so I don't really want to do it on a continual basis so I do it in waves every now and then.

Last edited:
There's a NUD just around the corner! :D

Yes, it looks like it's going to happen! Depending on what sold, I would have needed as many 6 things selling or as few as 2. Fortunately, one of my most expensive items sold.

I'm looking at a Bonanza Homestead uke. It would be in a tone wood I don't have yet, it's a thinline which I don't have yet and I really like the look and the unique design/construction. I also like that they have a satin type finish. The ukes are made in Minnesota and I'm from/living in MN so I like the idea of that connection as well.

I think the goal is doable. I'm already part way there so $100 to $150 should get me the uke, a hard case and a humidifier.

Nice! I remember Baz reviewing an Oreo and the style really left an impression on me. Even though soprano is my prefered size, I've always liked thin body concerts. Hmm, what can I sell ... :rolleyes:

Good idea. I'm wanting one of those too. Maybe I'll let go of se Moped parts or country music CDs. Also have some albums I can let go.

Nice! I remember Baz reviewing an Oreo and the style really left an impression on me. Even though soprano is my prefered size, I've always liked thin body concerts. Hmm, what can I sell ... :rolleyes:

This is part of what I was talking about when I said I really liked the unique design/construction. This is a video of an Oreo body half being machined. It's oddly mesmerizing. If I were around this machine I probably wouldn't get anything else done, I'd want to watch it all day. :D

Good idea. I'm wanting one of those too. Maybe I'll let go of se Moped parts or country music CDs. Also have some albums I can let go.

It's nice when you have something that has gone out of print that people still want. I once bought a 4-CD set of the scores used in The Twilight Zone for around $25.00. I listened to it once and it wasn't really my thing. It then went out of print and I eventually sold it to someone for $110.00!

In order to justify getting a new uke that I don't need I've resolved not to spend any money unless it's money I've already spent. In other words, I'm trying to sell a bunch of my stuff in order to raise the funds.

I had the day off today and I ended up spending almost the entire day creating listings on Ebay. It took me from 8:30 this morning until about 4:30 this afternoon (with about an hour for lunch) to create 16 listings. It's a lot of work taking pictures, looking for faults, writing up descriptions and researching items so they can be priced competitively! It's a pretty big pain so I hope it will turn out to be worth it.

Good luck! Selling eBay take s a lot of preparation, but it can be fun to watch the items progress. When I have an item on eBay, I box it, measure it, and weight it. If someone wants the shipping cost, it's easy enough to look it up online. I send everything Priority Mail.

This is part of what I was talking about when I said I really liked the unique design/construction. This is a video of an Oreo body half being machined. It's oddly mesmerizing. If I were around this machine I probably wouldn't get anything else done, I'd want to watch it all day. :D

That's amazing.

I think this Homestead uke was meant to be. Today is my birthday and I made two Ebay sales today which gives me enough money to pay for the uke, shipping and taxes! That's my rationalization and I'm sticking with it! :cool:

Happy Birthday! Can't imagine a better birthday present than a ukulele. :)
Jan

Happy Birthday! Those Bonanzas seem like really cool ukes and I'd be tempted to buy one if I was in the market right now. If I lived in MN, I'd feel it was my civic duty to buy one! :p

Time is running out on the introductory pricing for the Homestead! The introductory price ends on Dec. 1st. I'm not sure if that means at 12:00 AM tonight or 12:00 AM on the 1st. In either case, time is short! I nearly faltered but I pulled the trigger on mine today!

Last edited:
Time is running out on the introductory pricing for the Homestead! The introductory price ends on Dec. 1st. I'm not sure if that means at 12:00 AM tonight or 12:00 AM on the 1st. In either case, time is short! I nearly faltered but I pulled the trigger on mine today!
Thanks Mike.
Monday morning the price goes up.

Congrats! Giving up throwing my name in the lottery for a cocobolo uke I really wanted. Of course my computer and a few other things died all at once. Better now than after I spent the money on the uke. Oh well. Next time.

Top Bottom