Binding tape tear out

Ukakuka

Reaction score
Is there any fixes for binding tape tear out other than scraping flush?7EFA7939-21E6-46A2-9AF5-7CFE31B2950D.jpg

Thanks for any tips!

As I am sure you have figured out by now, always check the run-out direction and hit the tape with a hot air gun to soften the glue.

If the tearout is too deep to completely sand out, some dust from the same piece of wood (spruce?) sanded with a worn piece of 180 grit paper mixed with some very thinned down lacquer can make an almost invisible filler. The lacquer just acts as a glue for the dust.

Cheers

Sorry to state the obvious, but it's best to try and avoid it by giving the area to be taped a coat or two of shellac prior to binding, and also what Graham says about using hot airgun to warm up the tape whilst removing.
Mike

Have to agree with MikeyB

I’m pretty new to this and quickly picked up adding a coat of shellac to the wood heps toughen the surface - particularly on softer woods..

I also found through trial and error that using low tac tape helps.. you can purchase it from various places for loads of cash but here (In the GB) we have a Poundland chain of stores - three rolls of masking take for 1 GBP - the stuff is rubbish but is strong enough to hold bindings in place long enough for the glue to dry - and the tac is low enough so it doesn’t cause any tear out..

Another problem I came across - being a New builder is getting rid of the shellac after - to create a clean surface for polishing - sanding and scraping the shellac away reduces the thickness of the soundboard - so I always keeps the thickness a smidgen more to allow for any extra sanding down..

Cheers
Mike

Top Bottom