NUD: Sparrow Steel-String Tenor Ukulele

good_uke_boy

Reaction score
Saw this UU thread the other day:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?141695-Sparrow-Ukuleles-from-Virginia

and this thread reminded me about these instruments, which I got to see and hear in person this summer at the HopNUke Festival.

Of course, one thing led to another, and I've been having fun with a new steel-string Sparrow ukulele. The transition from nylon/fluoro ukuleles to this steel string has been remarkably easy. Fit, finish, and playability all are excellent. And I like the sound. Trying to learn how to control and make use of the sustain. Here's a quick sound sample.

Good U, Those steel strings have such a beautiful, bell tone. You must have a magnetic pick-up. Looks like a 4 pole humbucker. Please, provide details. Thanks in advance.

Good U, Those steel strings have such a beautiful, bell tone. You must have a magnetic pick-up. Looks like a 4 pole humbucker. Please, provide details. Thanks in advance.

Below is the description of this instrument that was on Sparrow's web site. Thanks!

This Walnut/Cherry tenor is a great option for anyone in search of great distorted rock tones, or warm jazzy/bluesy clean sounds. The humbucking pickup is very versatile and can handle all the effects and distortion you can throw at it, but cleans up nicely as well. It has a thick and beefy tone, but can be split to a single coil by pulling out on the tone knob accessing glassy, bell-like moods. It is a very easy to play instrument and set up for a great feel!

This Sparrow Tenor model sports a Walnut top and a Cherry body. The neck is maple with a Patagonia Rosewood fingerboard and black acrylic inlays. The fingerboard side dots are white PVC. The nut is bone and the pickup bobbins are Patagonia Rosewood.

The tone is rich and warm with a nice bright snap, thanks to the custom wound Alnico V pickup magnets. The humbucking pickup configuration ensures quiet operation even when dialing in a distorted tone.

The feel is light and easy, and the action is set up to be low and comfortable. This model has a custom gauged set of flatwound strings on it that add to the smooth feel and rich, warm tone.

The knobs are standard volume and tone, but the tone pot has a push-pull feature that allows the player to split the pickup into a single coil opening the door to a wide variety of tones.

The tuning gears have a 21:1 ratio, which makes it very easy to dial in and provides bullet-proof tuning stability.

Wow your uke looks and sounds great. Happy strumming. I went to their website. Wow. I have to tell myself, "No, no. I have electric ukes. But not steel stringed." :)

Saw this UU thread the other day:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?141695-Sparrow-Ukuleles-from-Virginia

and this thread reminded me about these instruments, which I got to see and hear in person this summer at the HopNUke Festival.

Of course, one thing led to another, and I've been having fun with a new steel-string Sparrow ukulele. The transition from nylon/fluoro ukuleles to this steel string has been remarkably easy. Fit, finish, and playability all are excellent. And I like the sound. Trying to learn how to control and make use of the sustain. Here's a quick sound sample.

Beautiful sound and very nice playing.

Thanks, Good U. I had been debating putting a piezo in my 5 string steel string tenor acoustic (added low D) which is the easy route. After listening to your axe, a double rail humbucker in the same model uke is my new course of action. Yes, more cost and effort. But, that tone and sustain... Sooo, sweeet.

That looks and sounds really nice. It sounds like an electric guitar really....but that's not surprising. I hope you continue to enjoy it. :)

You gotta be happy with that! Now I want one. Sounds wonderful.

Top Bottom