Can you identify this old ukulele?

5yruker

Reaction score
This was my grandmother's uke. I think it spent 30-40 years in the attic of her old farmhouse in central Maine. No label. Koa, slightly arched back. Plays nice!
old uke 1.jpg

No clue, but my two cents is just to keep it. Looks cool. Besides, it belonged to grandma.

Thanks! I have sent a few additional pictures to the website.

It appears to be a close match to the Supertone, under "Ukuleles by Other Makers". In particular, the headstock, fretboard extension, and bridge/saddle shape are the same. A listing by reverb.com for a sold Supertone described it as circa 1920, likely made in Chicago. The one on reverb also had the same inlay on the fretboard. I'd love to stumble across one of these in someone's attic. Amazingly good shape for an attic find.
Mike

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I just snagged an identical Supertone, and am waiting to receive it later this week. While most Supertones were made of mahogany, their ads in the Sears Roebuck catalog stated that they did offer a Koa model. Does anyone know how to tell the mahogany and the Koa apart when we're talking about such aged instruments? To me, it looks like Koa because of the color and grain, but I'm not an expert, and would love to have a more knowledgeable opinion.Antique 6.jpg

Top Bottom