Season 405 Pennies On The Singing Detective's Collar

One Man And His Uke

Reaction score
For Season 405 please bring me any of the songs featured in Dennis Potter’s TV Series, Pennies From Heaven, The Singing Detective, and Lipstick On Your Collar.

The first of these, starring Bob Hoskyns, as a humble sheet music salesman, who wishes life could be more like the songs he sells, features the dramatic device of the characters lip syncing to recordings of songs from the 1920s and 1930s.The songs also carry and reinforce the narrative of the story. Might sound a bit weird. Why not just have the actors sing the songs? Well, personally I don’t think it would have had the same dramatic impact. If you’ve seen these programmes you’ll know what I mean.When Pennies came out in 1978 I had never seen anything like it before. Potter went on to use the same device in The Singing Detective and Lipstick On Your Collar, with music from the 1940s and 1950s respectively. So, fairly straightforward. I have toyed with the idea of doing this as a Season ever since Rob’s Boardwalk Empire season a while back, because these old songs are just brilliant. Dennis Potter was a big fan of Al Bowlly by the way.

Links to lists of the music featured in each of the series are below. You will find chords, words etc, for a lot of the songs on the Dr Uke site, and of course other resources are available. PM me if you are struggling to find anything, or have your heart set on a particular song but can’t find the music.

Pennies From Heaven: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...N82FYI4VJzOD&usg=AOvVaw2vQdl8fULXI157uNiG4pDe

The Singing Detective: https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-singing-detective-music-from-the-bbc-tv-serial-mw0002002382

Lipstick On Your Collar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_on_Your_Collar_(TV_series)

Both Pennies and Detective were later made into feature films. It’s a long time since I’ve seen the film version of Pennies. It wasn’t as good as the TV original, but it wasn’t bad, and featured Steve Martin, and the wonderful Bernadette Peters in the Cheryl Campbell role. Quite ironic to have a great singer like Peters lip syncing, however, here’s a clip from the film to illustrate how the lip syncing worked.

For those of you who like to throw in one or two originals...well, I struggled with that...but how about this; Dennis Potter, who died from pancreatic cancer in 1994, revealed in a TV interview towards the end of his life, that he called his cancer Rupert....after a well known media mogul. Some of this mogul’s British newspapers were quick to criticise Potter for some of the adult elements in his work, while at the same time happily showing naked breasts and bums every day, and revelling in salacious gossip. So any originals on the theme of hypocrisy or double standards are very welcome.

Right, I think that just about covers it.
No prizes at time of writing, this might change, but assume there are none for the time being.

The usual rules apply of course. Please check out and comment on other people videos, and most of all, have fun playing and singing these amazing old songs. And Don’t forget Ryan’s great Aussie season still has a day to go....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNUmu6DfdZkk9ivbfwI6AoStrvY-Ygsx

Last edited:
Quick Google says this is gonna be a great week!

Just a few days ago a song came into my head by a favourite artist of my Dad’s. I had a go at playing it - really enjoyed it. And blow me down - there it is on one of the Dennis Potter song lists! I feel like I really want to give it the full treatment - uke will be prominent but are you okay with a fair amount of extra additions Your Hostliness? :)

Just a few days ago a song came into my head by a favourite artist of my Dad’s. I had a go at playing it - really enjoyed it. And blow me down - there it is on one of the Dennis Potter song lists! I feel like I really want to give it the full treatment - uke will be prominent but are you okay with a fair amount of extra additions Your Hostliness? :)
Absolutely your DelGriffliness :D.
So long as uke is in there somewhere, it’s all good. Throw everything in, including the kitchen sink if you wish. Keyboards, drum machines, sousaphones, let’s hear them. I live in hope of someone, someday, featuring the Ondes Martenot in one of their contributions

Del are you saying ‘40’s are the new ‘80’s!? :)

Absolutely your DelGriffliness :D.
So long as uke is in there somewhere, it’s all good. Throw everything in, including the kitchen sink if you wish. Keyboards, drum machines, sousaphones, let’s hear them. I live in hope of someone, someday, featuring the Ondes Martenot in one of their contributions
Thanks John - and cheers for hosting mate! :)

Nice one John of the North.Excellent theme.These songs are great on the ukulele. I remember those series too.

such a good idea for the season, I remember all the series well.
From 'Lipstick On Your Collar' I present Sh-Boom … (as I haven't got any backing singers doing any sh-booming perhaps I should have it listed under the other title of Life Could Be A Dream)

One from The Singing Detective, a series I remember well (especially the bits with Joanne Whalley in...):cool:

great thread,always liked this song and remember the play .

A great start lovely Seasonistas. Am at work so I will check out the contributions to date in more depth later tonight :)

Great idea for the week, John! I am a bit late arriving as we have just had a twenty-hour power cut as a result of our first serious snow (snow picture below.) An "incident" caused, no doubt, by a falling tree (we've got a few of them round here!) Anyway, having survived a day which involved mainly knitting in the semi-dark by the fire (it's amazing how little you can do without electricity), a little light ukulele playing - is there any way "Burlington Bertie" would fit into this week's theme? - then cooking dinner virtually in the dark and trying to read by candlelight, I am pleased to report that power was restored about an hour ago. I definitely remember all the Dennis Potter series ... he was a brilliant writer and the TV adaptations of his work were excellent. Off to look up the references you provided ...

IMG_20191117_094744_hdr (1).jpg

I have a little singing gig scheduled for next month with Lucy. We added a song to the set list today!

Top Bottom