Season 405 Pennies On The Singing Detective's Collar

Good afternoon fine denizens of Seasonistaville. Playlist is up to date with some of the best tunage anyone would wish to hear. And Lynda, no, there is NO song limit :)

I wanted to write something this week which had the feel of a "Pennies from Heaven" series song. It was my favourite series of the 1970s.
(I would have given up everything for Cheryl Campbell too, back then!)

Anyway, I came up with this chord sequence and melody yesterday - but wasn't inspired to complete it by adding lyrics. Then, early this morning, I got the first couple of lines gifted to me "twixt sleep and awake". It was only when I started to develop it (after a further nap) that I realised it was not a song about some generic hypocritical politician, as I had planned, but rather about the king of them all. And you know who that must be, surely?

Anyway, here is my contribution for this week. Hope you enjoy:

Sigh...Little bitty pretty one. come on along with me... how often will this be a Season match? I adore that song, But yeah, no one would watch it so I will hum it to myself and hope someone else posts it. Along with many others this week. Nicely played.

I’ve tried to work that one up before, as well as today, but I could never do it the least bit of justice. I’d love to hear your take on it.

Once upon a time I could sing this kind of soul music for about 3 hours before losing my voice... now I can hardly do three minutes.... "Try a Little Tenderness" is one of my all time favourites and I hardly do it justice here but three minutes was all I could do before completely losing my voice.

Using my JazzBoxUke tenor plus my Fanner Guitar Works Baritone as well as a guitar for the bass parts.

Hope you like it as much as I liked to record this fab song.

Here’s the one I threatened earlier in the week. Buddy Holly is a favourite of my Dad’s so this is as much for him as it is for the season. I’ve added a fair bit of extra keyboard work and some vocal harmonies for good measure. :)

I picked this one because Roy Rogers sang it, but he used only the chorus lyrics, not the full song. The older version by Al Bowlly uses the full lyrics, which is useful because the stanza is in 4/4 and the chorus is in 3/4.

"Lipstick On Your Collar" (1959) by George Goehring and Edna Lewis. The original song was about a young girl who was going to leave her cheating boyfriend. But the Estonian lyrics by Jaak Veski tell about a wife who has to wash her husband's shirts.

Surely time for yet another Raining in my Heart...

Ahoy
Here is my take on 'Lili Marlene' by Lale Andersen from 'The Singing Detective'
I do speak some German but speaking a language and singing in a language is not the same thing so I apologize to any Germans out there for my pronunciation and enunciation in this rendition of mine.

The playlist is up to date dear friends....and not before time, it’s my turn to join the fray. This is actually a song that didn’t feature in the BBC TV series, but did in the feature film of Pennies From Heaven. Christopher Walken plays the pimp character played so brilliantly by Hywel Bennett in the TV version, and lip syncs this song to Bernadette Peters in a sleazy bar. It’s a Cole Porter song, and just highlights how brilliant these classic songwriters were at coming up with something pretty saucy without being too “in your face”. The lyrics are something else. I don’t think I’ll be able to get anything else in this Season, much as I’d love too, but I managed to squeeze this one take snippet in. So, come on everybody, do as Porter suggests...Let’s Misbehave! :cool:

Ok, this is (almost ;)) certainly my last. Heavily influenced by Steve’s lovely delicate version, here is mine, raised a tone. Season’s apparent theme song ....

The Platters put together a beauty with this one.

I wish I had more time this week to get into some of those lovely songs from the 30s and 40s. At least I got to listen to a few of them. And I can enjoy new versions from y'all---thanks for lovely Season!

Cheers for hosting this one John. A bit of a scrappy, jazzy/swing tinkering on this one as I've had zero time lately...………

Last edited:
Top Bottom