String gauges for Aquila?

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I can’t find any info. In particular I d like to know High g Reds, vrs Sugar vr Super Nylgut. I like Reds a lot especially with new formula. I’m looking for bright. I’ve read that Sugar do that. I can’t find super Nylgut in local stores or on SBM. I tried Lava which are supposed to be the same as super Nylgut with different colouring. I didn’t mind Laval but thought the tension was too high. Is there a place to find gauge info on Aquila. I have checked their site in Italy but can’t find.

Also curious on comments on above strings

Kanile’a exclusively ship with Super Nylgut there must be something to that. I’ve read they are optimized for SN?

All comments welcome. We all know strings is a personal thing
Thanks

Ah, the classic struggle of finding gauge or tension info on Aquila strings. It's actually mind-blowing that they refuse to list them on their website. You basically have to scour several different sites that sell these strings and pray to the ukulele gods that they give the gauges or tension in the description. One of the better sites for this, I've found, is JustStrings.com. For example: https://www.juststrings.com/aqu-83u.html

When it comes to the Sugar or Super Nylgut strings, I've failed to find any info on them regarding gauges. As you mentioned, the Lava strings should be identical to the Super Nylguts, but who knows for sure. Also, I don't think the tension on the Lavas (or Super Nylguts, or regular Nylguts for that matter) is particularly high. I personally feel that they are more stiff than other strings - especially closer to the nut - because they are a bit thicker compared to, e.g., fluorocarbons which I use a lot, but then again I might be wrong as they don't disclose the actual tension anywhere. In any case, the Reds do seem to be thinner compared to the Lavas, so they're probably thinner than the Super Nylguts as well.

Speaking of Super Nylguts, since you asked, I've found them to be the best "regular" type of Aquila string they have to offer, but to me they don't sound particularly bright, especially if you're going for the type of brightness the Sugar strings supposedly offer. I haven't tried the Sugars myself but I've heard that they sound more like fluorocarbon compared to the more typical Aquila Nylgut string. Same thing with the Reds supposedly, but I haven't been able to try those either since they are very prone to snapping so be aware of that. If you're indeed looking for more brightness I'd forget the Super Nylguts and go with the Sugars and/or Reds if you're set on getting Aquilas specifically. Otherwise I'd recommend trying some fluorocarbons as well. Martins, Living Waters and Worths have all been excellent for me. But as you said, strings are a very personal thing so my advice is to try as many different kinds as possible.

Thanks for reply. I’m a card carrying flurocarbon guy. I do like Reds which are thinner, better sounding than New Nylgut! I keep going back to Aquila because of the new string. And to support Mimmo at Aquila who keep trying and inventing new materials and strings. I will give Sugar a try. I don’t like new Nylgut so suspect you are correct on Super Nylgut. I tried several sets of carbon black and wanted to like the, but they just kept snapping and breaking in my hard case. I took all precautions. Way worse than initial offering of Reds,

I’m glad they got Red new formula and they are good.

So, I will try your link for gauges. Buy some Sugars on spec when I get some Reds. See also my thread on new DR Moonbeam fluro string. I will order some of those out.

I’ve tried a lot of strings and always come back to flurocarbon. Only well known brand I have tried yet is Living Water.. String by Mail doesn’t have them,

Thanks for comments

If you liked Aquila's Carbon Blacks then you might also like the relatively new Martin Premium Polygut strings which seem to be very similar. They're a nice balance between nylguts and fluorocarbons in my opinion. Haven't snapped for me yet, and they seem quite nice on my Martin S1. The only downside is the horrible feel of them when new but they get better over time.

Top Bottom