Software useful for learn reading and playing along?

pieri70

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I'm learning Ukulele with a teacher help.
I find some trouble following him and I'm looking for some tool that help my progression in learning this instrument.

I already bought Songbook that is a nice piece of software to write down my lyrics and follow tablatures.

Now I'm studying fingerpicking following The Beatles for fingerstyle Ukulele by Fred Sokolow book.

I have also mp3 for these songs performed by Sokolow.
Is there some software (mac or Android) to slow down an mp3 tempo without loosing pitch too much?

Any other useful software to help me reading and playing songs from a given book?

The above book is not easy to read for a beginner, for me.
It has many parts that jump from a page to another (S-coda-chorus...)
Is there some way to attach pieces in a single sequence?

Sorry for my bad english.
Thanks
Pietro

I’ve been using the Amazing Slow Downer on iOS. It’s also available for Android.

It allows pitch corrected slow-down, looping the section you’re working on, and key changing. There are a slew of similar apps. The killer feature for me is that it’s the only slow-downer I’ve found for iOS that will work with Spotify and not just my mp3 collection.

For mp3s most everything modern probably supports slowing down. I know Audacity does and is open source so it’s free to try and see if it’ll work for you. I assume it’ll pitch correct, but I haven’t used it for that.

I’m not aware of any software that will take sheet music from a book and unroll it, but you can do so manually by copying and pasting the sections to unroll it. If you don’t want to do this with photocopies or scanned images you can reenter the notes in notation software. MuseScore is open source and pretty good.

I use ABC notation to transcribe and re-print sheet music that is inconvenient to play, either because of the way it is laid out or if it is an awkward key. The very act of having to read the original to enable me to type the correct notes into the computer speeded up my reading capability significantly ;)

YMMV - Good luck :music:

I’ve been using the Amazing Slow Downer on iOS. It’s also available for Android.
MuseScore is open source and pretty good.

Thank you Arcy, I'll try Amazing Slow Downer.

I use ABC notation to transcribe and re-print sheet music that is inconvenient to play, either because of the way it is laid out or if it is an awkward key. The very act of having to read the original to enable me to type the correct notes into the computer speeded up my reading capability significantly ;)
YMMV - Good luck :music:

Thans Kypfer
I would like to transpose into digital format music but I'm not skilled enought to read pentagram and classical notes.
I'm trying to read and practice mainly with chord tabs like in this picture (red circle)

I found this online service..
This is mainly for tablature ukulele, I'll try it ASAP
http://www.pluckinukes.com/tabcreator

And this old thread
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?99200-Best-Software-to-make-Ukulele-Tabs

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would like to transpose into digital format music but I'm not skilled enought to read pentagram and classical notes.
Like anything, the best way to learn is to practice. Like Kypfer says, the act of translating this will help you learn to read.

That said, if you're just using the tab and want to enter it digitally most modern engraving software will let you enter tabs or notation exactly as you already have it. MuseScore can set up linked staves so you can enter the tab on a tab stave and it will automatically generate the standard notation. I doubt it's unique in that (although again: it's open source so cheap to try out)

That thread is 5 years old and way out of date for software recommendations. It's missing several more modern options, and I don't think any of the feature or limitations that differentiated the software packages in 2014 are still relevant: most of the features that were pros then are now ubiquitous and most of the limitations that were cons are now fixed.

For simple staves like you have here just about anything modern should work. You shouldn't need any of the more expensive options. Most have at least a trial mode so you can try them out before spending (I trialed Guitar Pro before settling on MuseScore: for my uses Guitar Pro didn't add anything I needed and wasn't any easier to use. YMMV).

Like anything, the best way to learn is to practice. Like Kypfer says, the act of translating this will help you learn to read....
MuseScore can set up linked staves... (although again: it's open source so cheap to try out)

Thanks
yesterday i tryied Guitar Pro 7.5 and in two ours I was able to write down Across the universe by The Beatles for fingerpicking (Sokolow), I understood how to write notes and assign chords.
In the near past i tried also MusicScore but that time i found Music Score to be difficult to understand. I'll give it a second try now that I can write tablatures in Guitar Pro.

In regards to your question about software to slow down a song to help practice, I also use the Amazing Slow Downer on my Mac.

I also know other folks who've tried Anytune (https://anytune.us/) on their iPads, iPhones, or Macs & seem to like it

Have fun!

The more practice you have, the better you will play. But in fact, knowing the theory is also very important, try to find some kind of balance in this.

Interesting old post.

Anyway, for others who may be interested, check out eMedia Ukulele Methods software. It looks to be the perfect match to what the OP is seeking.
I've been using it for the past few months, and I highly recommend it. It let's you vary the tempo of its songs and lessons. I normally slow the tempo down while learning (for example, when learning a new syncopated strum pattern); and once I'm comfortable, I move the tempo back up. It is a good feeling too when I go back to review some old materials and find that I can play at a fast tempo.

Top Bottom