Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banjo anyone?

Yankee...
    Thank you. That is just about the sound I am looking for. I think it will sound great with an ukulele and a Ubass.
    Rihanna is a good singer, but that isn't my style of music.
    Larry each to his own. Bluegrass music has been my fave since the early 70s. That kept me from getting into rock n roll, except for the Beatles.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I have a S.S. Stewart tenor banjo that is strung with nylgut strings. It has a very light pot and a simple brass tone ring. I really like the sound. I made a fretless banjo, patterned after the one on the first (only) Frank Proffit LP cover. It is strung with nylon strings. I bought an R.S.Williams 5 string banjo at a yard sale that was in pieces. My friend Teilhard Frost is gonna help me get it in playing condition with nylon strings. Except for banjoleles, my other two banjos have steel strings.

17973-14092026112019.jpg
    Home Made fretless

17973-24092026112019.jpg
    S.S. Stewart tenor

17973-34192026112019.jpg
    R.S. Williams 5 string

17973-126172026112019.jpg
    Sam Allison, me and Teilhard Frost. Teilhard built the gourd banjo I'm holding and has also built one for Rhiannon Giddens.

Here's Rhiannon playing her Frost Fretless Gourd Banjer.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZBBB-iJN4M

Quote Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    Funny, I fancy trying a banjo but I don't like bluegrass

You are definitely not restricted to playing bluegrass on a banjo. Old-time, jazz, folk, pop, Irish trad, pub songs. . .
    Similar to guitar, violin, mandolin, dobro and bass in versatility. None are restricted to bluegrass.

Very cool Jim. Thanks for the pics and the encouragement.
    I am actually not fast enough to do justice to Bluegrass music. But we do a lot of Irish folk, and I love using the banjouke with that, and I imagine the 5 string will be a lot more versatile. Sometimes I catch myself looking for that 5th string, but.....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information