Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Never make due when you can buy something new.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Ah just tries to do and that's it.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Midlands GB
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    I have a leather jacket that I bought in the 1950s!

    It seems to have shrunk.

    John Colter

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,129

    Default

    I prefer to make do, if I already have it, and like it, or buy used if can find what I want
    John

  4. #14

    Default

    Drives me nuts that you can't repair things the way you could before. Trying fixing the dryer: instead of swapping out the belt, it's all the electrical that needs fixing. Same with cars. Good thing my cars are 35 yo mopeds.
    Most new clothing is just crap. I've found better quality in goodwill, though I figure that will end when people are dumping mostly the crap quality they have now. sigh...
    Oh, I did repair my own umbrella lol.
    2 of 3 of my ukes are used. Heck it's getting played. It's going to get dinged or whatever eventually. Kind of like all of us. Life

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    I was confused about the comment and then wondered whether it was ‘American’ English and whether ‘never make do when you can buy new’ would be the ‘British’ English equivalent. Perhaps I’ve still misunderstood your point, sorry if that’s the case.
    Ref: https://www.grammar.com/make_do_vs._make_due
    Good catch Graham. Sorry that it confused you. It probably should have been do, not due. In my professional life I do have an editor who catches all of those little slip ups, but she refuses to edit my forum posts, oh well. But you got it figured out, and that's what counts.

    I tend to make do with something I already have if I can. My wife and I were talking about it the other day. I was heading out the door for a group strum with my old Makala sticking out of a book bag that my thirty two year old son used in middle school. My wife suggested that I buy a new backpack that doesn't look like something a middle school kid would be sporting. Maybe that isn't a good example. I have a gig bag for it somewhere, it just wasn't as handy as the old book bag. But I think that what got me going on the subject is the car uke. Most of those types of threads my first reaction, when I put myself in that situation, is to think of something I already have that would work and suggest that other people do the same. So I think that I just came to a realization that most people use those situations as a reason to get a new ukulele. I'm not helping, so I need to quit doing that. They don't want to use their old $65 Makala for a car uke, or camping uke, or a beach uke, they want a new uke. I just thought that maybe it worth a comment. Maybe not. Anyway, I like all the responses and I especially like to poem from the Samurai Guitarist.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

    I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Good catch Graham. Sorry that it confused you. It probably should have been do, not due. In my professional life I do have an editor who catches all of those little slip ups, but she refuses to edit my forum posts, oh well. But you got it figured out, and that's what counts.

    I tend to make do with something I already have if I can. My wife and I were talking about it the other day. I was heading out the door for a group strum with my old Makala sticking out of a book bag that my thirty two year old son used in middle school. My wife suggested that I buy a new backpack that doesn't look like something a middle school kid would be sporting. Maybe that isn't a good example. I have a gig bag for it somewhere, it just wasn't as handy as the old book bag. But I think that what got me going on the subject is the car uke. Most of those types of threads my first reaction, when I put myself in that situation, is to think of something I already have that would work and suggest that other people do the same. So I think that I just came to a realization that most people use those situations as a reason to get a new ukulele. I'm not helping, so I need to quit doing that. They don't want to use their old $65 Makala for a car uke, or camping uke, or a beach uke, they want a new uke. I just thought that maybe it worth a comment. Maybe not. Anyway, I like all the responses and I especially like to poem from the Samurai Guitarist.
    In bold above added by Graham.

    I’m really pleased that my response was (mostly) I’m in-line with your original intent and think that our thoughts on the subject seem to overlap well. Repurposing gives good example of ways that show that we don’t need to buy new and can make do. As a young man making a (problem’s) solution from what ever I had was a necessary way of life and I’m pleased to not have to do that anymore. However old habits die hard and hence I too have pressed a Makala Concert into sterling service and carried it around in an old hold-all, neither looked pretty but for me both did the job required.

    “I just came to a realization that most people use those situations as a reason to get a new ukulele”. I’m sure that an awful lot of people use some new purpose or event as reasons, or rather self justification, for buying something that they otherwise would not buy. Christmas will be with us shortly and in many households that involves freshening the home up with those new curtains, decorations and even carpets ready for the visitors to enjoy - “it’s got to be all ready in time for Christmas” is the expensive phrase I’ve sometimes heard. For Weddings and Christenings people seem to buy a new suit or outfit when there’s nothing wrong with the old one, etc. They are buying new when the could - and I suggest that they should - make do.

    ‘Never make do when you can buy something new’ is surely music to the Marketing Man’s ears; but I say ‘Never buy something new when you can make do’, it's better for your pocket, better for the environment and it keeps you thinking flexibly.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 11-20-2019 at 11:10 AM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post

    I’m really pleased that my response was (mostly) I’m in-line with your original intent and think that our thoughts on the subject seem to overlap well. Repurposing gives good example of ways that show that we don’t need to buy new and can make do. As a young man making a (problem’s) solution from what ever I had was a necessary way of life and I’m pleased to not have to do that anymore. However old habits die hard and hence I too have pressed a Makala Concert into sterling service and carried it around in an old hold-all, neither looked pretty but for me both did the job required.


    ‘Never make do when you can buy something new’ is surely music to the Marketing Man’s ears; but I say ‘Never buy something new when you can make do’, it's better for your pocket, better for the environment and it keeps you thinking flexibly.
    I'm not sure that our thinking is in line with each other Graham. I would say that I am less frugal and more scatterbrained than anything else. Actually the point of my thread is that I don't care if people buy new ukuleles and far be it from me to tell them that they should make do with what they have. I don't want anyone to think that I believe otherwise. They want to buy a new ukulele, that is fine with me, go for it, you don't need to justify it. When you get down to it, no one really needs a ukulele in the first place, so owning even just one could be thought as an extravagance if one wanted to spin it that way.

    I’m sure that an awful lot of people use some new purpose or event as reasons, or rather self justification, for buying something that they otherwise would not buy. Christmas will be with us shortly and in many households that involves freshening the home up with those new curtains, decorations and even carpets ready for the visitors to enjoy - “it’s got to be all ready in time for Christmas” is the expensive phrase I’ve sometimes heard. For Weddings and Christenings people seem to buy a new suit or outfit when there’s nothing wrong with the old one, etc. They are buying new when the could - and I suggest that they should - make do.
    Guilty as charged on all counts.
    Last edited by Rllink; 11-21-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

    I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    853

    Default

    In terms of the homonyms of this thread:

    at least in the United states the standard usage is "due" [e.g., making due] when using it as a verb and "do" when it is an adjective [a make do solution].

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    In terms of the homonyms of this thread:

    at least in the United states the standard usage is "due" [e.g., making due] when using it as a verb and "do" when it is an adjective [a make do solution].
    Googling and reinforced in multiple replies: : "Make do is a verb phrase that means to use what’s available in non-ideal circumstances. Make do is the correct spelling. Make due is a historical variant that is no longer accepted."

    Different than "Honey do..." and "Money due..."

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,129

    Default

    My poetry is way worse...

    There once was a man from Perdue
    Had a uke that he hoped to make do
    Though he strummed with his pinkie
    The sound was so stinky
    It brought memories of Pepe Le Pew

    pepe.JPG
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 11-20-2019 at 06:16 PM.
    John

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •