Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Never make due when you can buy something new.

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Wow, I didn't expect for a little slip in word usage to cause so much consternation.
    I don’t think that anything particularly negative has intentionally been directed your way. To my mind folk are just taking an opportunity to talk about language or rather the comprehension and imperfect use of language. I liked the points that Nickie has made above and it set me thinking.

    The English language now has multiple forms as spoken in many countries, it’s a common language but the spelling and/or meaning of its words often varies dependant on place of use (place in this context meaning geographical location). It’s interesting to think, too, that but for the USA effectively adopting ‘English’ as its national language we’d likely all be using German or maybe French here instead.

    Here in the U.K. we had and have various local/regional dialects which can modify the spoken language somewhat, at times the communication process gets tricky but with a little bit of good will all we seem to get by.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 11-24-2019 at 11:58 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    5,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    Here in the U.K. we had and have various local/regional dialects which can modify the spoken language somewhat, at times the communication process gets tricky but with a little bit of good will all we seem to get by.
    That's why I like watching English TV - with closed captions, of course.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Sparta, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    I don’t think that anything particularly negative has intentionally been directed your way. To my mind folk are just taking an opportunity to talk about language or rather the comprehension and imperfect use of language. I liked the points that Nickie has made above and it set me thinking.

    The English language now has multiple forms as spoken in many countries, it’s a common language but the spelling and/or meaning of its words often varies dependant on place of use (place in this context meaning geographical location). It’s interesting to think, too, that but for the USA effectively adopting ‘English’ as its national language we’d likely all be using German or maybe French here instead.

    Here in the U.K. we had and have various local/regional dialects which can modify the spoken language somewhat, at times the communication process gets tricky but with a little bit of good will all we seem to get by.
    English is a Germanic language.

    It is the most widely spoken language in the world. (Not the most people, but spoken in the most countries. Mandarin has the most people.) It's the language of business, computers and aviation.

    Here in the US the dialects between in some of the Southern States can be quite difficult to understand.

    Some of the more remote communities in the Appalachians still have dialects very similar to olde Scots and English. Though few are truly isolated anymore.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 11-26-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

    —Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    5,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Some of the more remote communities in the Appalachians still have dialects very similar to olde Scots and English. Though few are truly isolated anymore.
    The people on Ocracoke Island are losing their "Long John Silver" accent.

    https://ncseagrant.ncsu.edu/currents...r-dingbatters/
    https://www.southernliving.com/news/...island-dialect
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    216

    Default

    I don't make do, I make good as new or better than new.4 martins 7:4:19 .jpg

  6. #36

    Default

    I'm sure glad there are people like you around. Otherwise where would the second hand cars and ukes at 50% off that I buy, come from. I'm not making do I'm just cheap, no make that thrifty.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PetalumaRescuke View Post
    I don't make do, I make good as new or better than new.4 martins 7:4:19 .jpg
    I love seeing yours when they're posted

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtoolie View Post
    I'm sure glad there are people like you around. Otherwise where would the second hand cars and ukes at 50% off that I buy, come from. I'm not making do I'm just cheap, no make that thrifty.
    No, frugal. Me too

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    113

    Default

    I like to buy vintage stuff before it was made in China. That way I know it'll never be worth less than I paid.

    So far, I'm about 50-50.

    My last addition, Palmer LP style, wasn't marked as to country of origin. Guessing Chinese though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by old and slow; 12-04-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

    In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

    Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •