k brand or custom

I have both; K-Brands and Luthier-Made.

If you like the Koa, more "Hawaiian sound," a K-Brand is a good choice. Though a Ko'olau is probably outside your price range, even used. Most of them have other wood combinations, but those usually go for more as well. Ko'Aloha, Kanile'a & Kamaka all have base-level all-Koa models that are very nice.

If you like Mahogany: LoPrinzi; Kala Elite; Martin; Romero; Mainland all have very good models within you price range.

Luthier-made gets trickier. Mike Pereira makes some small-batch "Cali" instruments that are terrific. Fred Shields & Bonanza will make instruments to your specs in their standard models. Used "custom" or "spec" luthier instruments will mostly be more expensive that $1K but sometimes you can luck out. Have a list of ones you want that you can pounce on if and when they are listed. True customs are made to a customer's specifications. While a "spec" instrument is a speculative instrument the luthier makes for a show model or he makes it to his own specifications to sell where his markets are.

Personally, I went with K-Brand tenors as my next step up from my Ponos.

Good luck. Do your research. Enjoy the quest.

Last edited:
Ordering a new Ko'olau would answer both in that it would be both a "K" brand and a custom. (You might need more than a grand to make it happen though.)

Ordering a new Ko'olau would answer both in that it would be both a "K" brand and a custom. (You might need more than a grand to make it happen though.)

Are we allowed to call a Ko'alau a custom? From my experience with them, you plunk down $4500 and you get to choose which of the pre-determined options you want. I personally wouldn't call that a custom uke. My Kamaka has a spruce sound board and that is definitely not standard, but it isn't a custom uke. With what I am calling a custom uke, you determine all its facets and develop a game plan with the builder. That seems different than clicking on pull down menus.

You can get a new Iriguchi for around the $1,200 mark.

Are we allowed to call a Ko'alau a custom? From my experience with them, you plunk down $4500 and you get to choose which of the pre-determined options you want. I personally wouldn't call that a custom uke. My Kamaka has a spruce sound board and that is definitely not standard, but it isn't a custom uke. With what I am calling a custom uke, you determine all its facets and develop a game plan with the builder. That seems different than clicking on pull down menus.

In this case, it depends on how the OP defines custom.

There's custom and there's custom. Some luthiers let you pick from a particular piece of wood out of an assortment, etc. However, others will allow selection of species of wood but not the individual board.

Just looked at the Ko'olau website and couldn't find any "pull down" lists of standard options to choose from. Yes, each model has choices you can ask for with the number of choices increasing as the models increase in cost. Is that custom? Yes if you consider that very few if any top luthiers will allow a customers total design control to the detriment of the finished product's function. For example I'm pretty sure no one would let me order a soprano scale instrument with a cello size body made of balsa.

Ko'olau does list a number and email address for customers to contact them and talk about what they would like.

There's custom and there's custom. Some luthiers let you pick from a particular piece of wood out of an assortment, etc. However, others will allow selection of species of wood but not the individual board.

Some would define custom as you discussed every single detailed with the luthier to your liking from the beginning till the end, and some would consider a ukulele made by a certain luthier custom.

Most luthiers have their own standard models, and custom from them are tweaking here and there on top of their standard model. Lots of time you can find new uke from Moore Bettah/ Devine/ Petros/ Steve grimes new on HMS or other shops in Honolulu, and I don't know if people would call them custom or not, but they are definitely dream ukes for most people here. So it really depends on how you want to define it. Even if it is a used custom, it does not mean it wouldn't suit you well.

As many said, the custom is not necessarily better than a standard production k brand. The k brand is safer and easier to access than custom, so perhaps you could start by looking for a local store that carries them. At some point throughout your journey you probably still get into the custom world anyway!

Last edited:
Farida makes a range of ukes. 1,000 will put you at or near the top of their line. Elderly Instruments carries them and the store is known for its integrity. They will give you an honest description.

Good luck!

If you are spending around $1,000 you would be well advised to try before you buy. At that level, you are unlikely to find a bad ukulele, but personal preferences become very important. My favourite uke is a KoAloha soprano, but not everybody would share that opinion.

Even buying a bespoke instrument - one that you have commissioned and specced - is a leap of faith. It might not live up to your expectations. I've seen it happen numerous times.

John Colter

If you are spending around $1,000 you would be well advised to try before you buy. At that level, you are unlikely to find a bad ukulele, but personal preferences become very important. My favourite uke is a KoAloha soprano, but not everybody would share that opinion.

Even buying a bespoke instrument - one that you have commissioned and specced - is a leap of faith. It might not live up to your expectations. I've seen it happen numerous times.

John Colter

If trying isn't possible make sure there's a return policy

Interestingly, I bought my Kamaka new, but it had been in the shop for several years. It was made in 2000 and I think I bought it around 2006. The reason it sat in the shop (I think) was an intonation problem, I think I got it cheaper because it had been there so long. So I just arranged for an experienced set-up person to fix the problem, and now I have had it 12 years or more. The cost of the set-up is now lost in history. Some Koa looks so plain when new, but just gets better with age.
Also when you buy a custom uke it is not always just about paying for looks. Often you pay for the extra time to get details that you never see in the finished product. Like taking 30 minutes to remove 3mm of material to get an exact fit. Or making the neck so it is easy to play. Or shaving a brace to get perfect sound. However, you would be lucky to get a new custom uke with this stuff for $1000.
So I stick to my original advice. buy a new Kamaka. If it has an intonation problem take it back to get it fixed or just find an experienced set-up tech and get it fixed. Once it is well set-up it will last a long time. The beauty of a Kamaka over the other names mentioned is that everyone knows what a Kamaka is, it is very easy to rehome.

I agree with going to a Kamaka. I have a Kamaka, Kanilea and a Koaloha Tenor. I really like the Kanilea and the Koaloha. That said, I love the Kamaka. I'll never part with it.
I stop in the Kamaka shop on my yearly visit to Honolulu. Chris Kamaka was in the front when I visited last month and he did a little buffing on the top to bring back some of the shine. He told me that I had been taking great care of it.

I've been really impressed with the new KoAloha Tenors. I'd vote for one of those bad boys.

John Colter

Best advice on the thread.

Only you can decide what sounds best to you.

IMHO, Tone matters most then neck feel.

When I was looking to upgrade from my first uke, a spruce topped Fluke, I looked at the K brands and Martin....wanted either Koa or Mahogany...liked the sound of the various K brands but didn't have the opportunity to try one in person.....so leap of faith I ordered a Koaloha from Mim's....it's a keeper.....I had the chance to handle a Kanilea recently....could have easily have bought that as well...I also recently had in my hand a Kinnard.....WOW!....a long neck soparano......I wish I would have taken a picture of it......way above my league in so many ways....,..but if I could play better I would have bought it.....I might buy a "custom" or high end uke someday but I'm not likely to order....if I find something to my liking, and I've got the money, and it's available I'll hit the buy button......if not....that's ok....I'll play with what I have.....

Top Bottom