Any (low G) string recommendation for concert uke?

ukutravel

Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried Aquila red series (low G) and NEW NYLGUT (low G) so far.
I didn't like red because of that paper-ish texture.
New Nylgut is okey, but sometimes it buzz when I hold up to 7th fret.
I want more flexible and soft string if possible (less gauge).
Any recommendations?

Have a good day :)

You might like the Living Waters Low G set. All four strings are fluorocarbon, the tension is not too high, and they are quite comfortable under the fingers. Lovely sound too. Available online from Uke Republic, or directly from Ken Middleton in England.

Jan

You might like the Living Waters Low G set. All four strings are fluorocarbon, the tension is not too high, and they are quite comfortable under the fingers. Lovely sound too. Available online from Uke Republic, or directly from Ken Middleton in England.

Jan

I don't have a low G on my concert, but I have D'Addario fluorocarbons on my tenor, and there is an equivalent set for concert scale available. I like them, they stretched quickly and stay in tune well, and weren't particularly expensive (not that any of the string sets I've looked at have been in the grand scheme of things!).

Since you're able to isolate the location of the buzz, perhaps it's a fret buzz?
For wound lowG I am highly biased towards Thomastik (& will likely put Thomastik wound C-strings on all my better ukes).
The only real reasonably sized gauge lower strings are all wound, IME. Most flour/nylon lower strings are too wide & require widening of slot at nut.

Hi,

I have tried Aquila red series (low G) and NEW NYLGUT (low G) so far.
I didn't like red because of that paper-ish texture.
New Nylgut is okey, but sometimes it buzz when I hold up to 7th fret.
I want more flexible and soft string if possible (less gauge).
Any recommendations?

Have a good day :)

Last edited:
I actually like the Aquila reds precisely for that dry, papery tone. The only thing I like about low G tuning is that I can play songs in a country acoustic fingerpicking blues vibe, and that distinctive dry tone lends itself nicely to that.

Last edited:
I actually like the Aquila reds precisely for that dry, papery tone. The only thing I like about low G tuning is that I can play songs in a country acoustic fingerpicking blues vibe, and that distinctive dry tone lends itself nicely to that.

Exactly why I love them. Playing some country tunes just sound off to me in reentrant and I love the rough feel on the strings.
I may try the Living waters just to see since so many people seem to like them.
Good luck Uketravel.

Concert scale ukes require thinner string diameter than tenor and I am not sure if there are any plain low G available. So you may have to get a wound string and deal with issues like short life of this kind of string. D'Addario may have one in a suitable diameter and their tension tool might help. But concert body may be too small to create good sound.

The only low G string I've ever liked is the Fremont Soloist. I use it on my concert-scale ukes.

Likewise! I've tried multiple low-g strings, and I have a Freemont Soloist on a Light Bird Tenor, Moon Bird Concert, and Kala Aratani. I had one on my Koalhoa tenor and then switched it back to High G, and now I am swithing it back to the Soloist. It just seems to do well with almost any tonewood and any other set of strings (to my ear anyway).

Concert scale ukes require thinner string diameter than tenor and I am not sure if there are any plain low G available. So you may have to get a wound string and deal with issues like short life of this kind of string. D'Addario may have one in a suitable diameter and their tension tool might help. But concert body may be too small to create good sound.

I had a fluorocarbon low G on my concert scale soprano. Don't recall the brand, may have been Worth. Didn't care for it, too muddy sounding. Would go for wound if I did it again. Saw an Ohana soprano in a shop with wound low G once and it was so subtle looking, at first I couldn't figure out what was so different about it. At that gauge, the wound string wasn't too noisy. But I've long since decided that if I want linear tuning, I'll play my baritone (although I do have a high D, waiting to try out someday...)

My 2nd fave is the Freemont Soloist.
My fave is the Thomastick, but wow, it's expensive.

Since you're able to isolate the location of the buzz, perhaps it's a fret buzz?
For wound lowG I am highly biased towards Thomastik (& will likely put Thomastik wound C-strings on all my better ukes).
The only real reasonably sized gauge lower strings are all wound, IME. Most flour/nylon lower strings are too wide & require widening of slot at nut.
thomastik are amazing!

Top Bottom