Strings for 23" scale baritone

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been using T-I CF 35, 30 and Savarez G and B unwound for my 23" scale"contra" baritone tuned D,G,B,E for a couple of years.

It's always sounded pretty good but today I played my 19" scale Griffin baritone with same string combo and thought is sounded clearer with more resonance.The body of the contra is the size of a tenor guitar. I'm wondering if the strings on the 23"contra are so taut they're losing resonance.

I'm thinking perhaps I might try using the D string for a D etc. rather than how they are now. Wondering if that may make them too loose as the standard classical guitar is 25.4" scale.

I phoned Andrew at HMS and he said Joel has been experimenting with different strings for 23" scale. Will have Joel call me.

In the meantime, Any recommendations for wound 3&4 unwound 1&2 for 23" scale?

Patrick, as you know I have a LfdM baritone which has a 22-1/4” so close enough. I have done a lot of string experimenting on this and my Pepe Romero baritone guilele, 20” scale tuned E-E. A very different instrument but relates to what you have found, going too large diameter makes it sound dull.

Back to the 23” baritone, your string set measures .035”, .030”, .0331”. .0272”. Because you use the G and B
Savarez (assuming fluorocarbon) strings for the B and E position they are larger in diameter. Usual B and E are .027” and .024”. I run those smaller diameters on all my baritones, from 19” to +22” . It gives a livelier, more resonant sound.

You could also try classical wounds from D’Addario in .034” & .029” or .033” & .028”, on D and G positions. Going thick diameter strings on a short scale 23” , compared to a classical guitar 25.5” seems logical for tension but like you I have found it sometimes kills the tone.

Maybe guys with the Pono baritone nui will chime in, it’s pretty similar in size to your custom.

Thanks Dave, great suggestions. I changed out the D(CF35) string with a CF30 and didn't notice that much difference in tone.Big difference in tension though. It is the 1&2 that are dull. So rather than using the unwound G&B, use the B&E strings. I have both Savarez and Hannabach (gold) trebles I can use. May have a set of D'Addarios that may have those diameters too. I'll post what Joel from HMS suggests after I hear from him.

Mine is actually 22.88" but 23 is close enough. I sure like these big bodied baris.. Also having another custom guitar being made by George Thomas. This time a 00 size. Nothing compares to the 126 yr. old Bay State so far.

Thanks Bill, will do. I think the CF 35 and 30 work ok and checking the diameters of the trebles, I'm going to try using a B on the B and E on the E. Spoke with Joel at HMS, he's experimenting with strings for 23" scale and planning on doing more with wound 3&4 early next year.

I tuned them down a step Bill and noticed a difference so changed over.Put on the Hannabach Goldins 1&2 B for B and E for E. Seems to resonate better and more tension than I thought. The Hannas. are carbon med hard.

I forget which is more guitar like; nylon or fluros? What trebles have you got on Dave?

I tuned them down a step Bill and noticed a difference so changed over.Put on the Hannabach Goldins 1&2 B for B and E for E. Seems to resonate better and more tension than I thought. The Hannas. are carbon med hard.

I forget which is more guitar like; nylon or fluros? What trebles have you got on Dave?

I find floro give a brighter, lively sound with more sustain. But many people prefer nylon on a classical guitar. I have tried both and my personal preference has been fluorocarbon

I'll weigh in with a dissenting opinion for the sake of variety here! One of my bug bears about baritone strings is the tension imbalance so many sets have - reasonable tension on the wound strings, too light on the trebles due to effectively using the ADBE strings from a guitar set. The feel is all wrong for me and the lighter tension in the trebles robs some of the power from the sound for my style of playing.

I either use ADGB from a classical guitar set or, like Dave, throw some fluoros in there as I prefer the feel and sound. Fluoros are usually higher tension than nylon so you can use a lighter gauge too. On my Pono big baritone I currently have:

D: silverwound classical guitar A string (0.036)
G: silverwound classical guitar D string (0.030)
B: Living Water baritone uke B string
E: Living Water baritone uke E string

The classical guitar strings are Rotosound but that is purely because that's the brand my local guitar shop sells single strings for. I've used the TI strings a lot but it's worth remembering that they have a mellow / muted tone anyway. I'm enjoying the zip and zing the silverwound strings provide at the moment.

As a side note, when I got this uke it had the Worth Brown baritone set on. How anyone plays that set on a 20" scale is beyond me as the D and G felt like slack rubber bands at 23" and could not drive the top of the Pono at all - the extra volume I got out of getting strings at decent tension on there was frankly incredible.

Very interesting, Pirate Jim. When you put on the two classical guitar strings for the two bass strings, did you widen the nut slots, or do they fit okay as is?

Baritone D and G strings are just repackaged classical guitar A and D strings - most often of gauges 0.035 and 0.030. So no modification needed!

Thanks Jim. Afrer Dave's thread, I changed the trebles to a B(27) and E(24) Hannabach Golds I had on hand. THe 35 and 30 I kept the same. Resonance was much better. Will try your combo next.

I've been using T-I CF 35, 30 and Savarez G and B unwound for my 23" scale"contra" baritone tuned D,G,B,E for a couple of years.

It's always sounded pretty good but today I played my 19" scale Griffin baritone with same string combo and thought is sounded clearer with more resonance.The body of the contra is the size of a tenor guitar. I'm wondering if the strings on the 23"contra are so taut they're losing resonance.

I'm thinking perhaps I might try using the D string for a D etc. rather than how they are now. Wondering if that may make them too loose as the standard classical guitar is 25.4" scale.

I phoned Andrew at HMS and he said Joel has been experimenting with different strings for 23" scale. Will have Joel call me.

In the meantime, Any recommendations for wound 3&4 unwound 1&2 for 23" scale?

Have you tried D'addario's String Tension Pro tool?

http://stringtensionpro.com/

Ken Middleton, being a generally nice guy, sells me baritone sets that are two Bs and two Es for this. Have fun playing around, glad you're getting success with it!

Thanks Jim, they seem to be working so far. Better resonance and still higher tension. Yep, always something to fine tune. Found the perfect capo (Showcase), kind of picks (Charmed Life) and strings for the contra baritone.

Doc, the Pro Tool will be an asset for sure. Thanks.

Thanks Jim, they seem to be working so far. Better resonance and still higher tension. Yep, always something to fine tune. Found the perfect capo (Showcase), kind of picks (Charmed Life) and strings for the contra baritone.

Doc, the Pro Tool will be an asset for sure. Thanks.

LOL! Holy guacamole! THIRTY-FIVE BUCKS FOR A PICK!
https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/online-store
That's nearly as much as I paid for my old Giannini with a case!

Here's Bill's info Jim. https://www.billstokesshowcase.com/Capos.html. Each one is custom made for the customer. I have one for the uke and another for my guitars with radiused curve for the fretboard. They are compact to the point I can hardly tell it's on. If you call Bill be prepared for a long conversation. The guy is really interesting. Also sells custom picks (they're okay) and German nickel silver thumb picks. May even have a Black Friday sale going on.

The Charmed life picks are pricey Old and slow but I find they are very fast with no drag what so ever. They are custom made, so anything custom made is going to be pricey. I'm still not done looking at less expensive picks but so far haven't found one to match these. Thing about a 35 dollar pick is I know where it's at all the time. If not in my hand it's in my wallet. I also buff the tip with leather and rouge once in a while to make it even faster.

Like a uke; you can spend 100 buck up to 15 grand for a uke.

I have a Giannini too, those and Favillas are probably the best bang for the buck out there.

Last edited:
Here's Bill's info Jim. https://www.billstokesshowcase.com/Capos.html. Each one is custom made for the customer. I have one for the uke and another for my guitars with radiused curve for the fretboard. They are compact to the point I can hardly tell it's on. If you call Bill be prepared for a long conversation. The guy is really interesting. Also sells custom picks (they're okay) and German nickel silver thumb picks. May even have a Black Friday sale going on.

The Charmed life picks are pricey Old and slow but I find they are very fast with no drag what so ever. They are custom made, so anything custom made is going to be pricey. I'm still not done looking at less expensive picks but so far haven't found one to match these. Thing about a 35 dollar pick is I know where it's at all the time. If not in my hand it's in my wallet. I also buff the tip with leather and rouge once in a while to make it even faster.

Like a uke; you can spend 100 buck up to 15 grand for a uke.

I have a Giannini too, those and Favillas are probably the best bang for the buck out there.

I can certainly understand wanting the best pick. Just a bit of sticker shock. I had no idea. Like paying seventy-five bucks for a hamburger or something. But I might try one some day.

Top Bottom