Banjouke/banjolele section?

Nickie

Reaction score
Does anyone think there's enough interest in a banjouke section here?
They're getting to be popular, at least 3 local TBUS members now play them.

What would we talk about in the banjo uke forum that has zero relevance to other types of ukuleles? We'd have one thread about where to put the moveable bridge. One more thread about tensioning the head. And then... ?

I guess some people think of banjo ukes as entirely different instruments. I think of them as ukes. IMHO the vast majority of threads on UU are equally interesting no matter what kinds of ukes we're playing. Songs, chords, strings, how to practice, how to gig... it's all part of the same conversation. I wouldn't make separate forums for sopranos, concerts, tenors, baris, resonators, electrics, plastic ukes... nor banjo ukes.

But that's just my opinion, and I admit to having a habitual bias against splitting forums up into ever smaller enclaves. I am interested to read what others say. How many of you play banjo uke and not any other kind of uke? How many of you would prefer to discuss banjo ukes with other banjo uke players and not waste your time scanning posts about ukuleles in general?

What would we talk about in the banjo uke forum that has zero relevance to other types of ukuleles? We'd have one thread about where to put the moveable bridge. One more thread about tensioning the head. And then... ?

I guess some people think of banjo ukes as entirely different instruments. I think of them as ukes. IMHO the vast majority of threads on UU are equally interesting no matter what kinds of ukes we're playing. Songs, chords, strings, how to practice, how to gig... it's all part of the same conversation. I wouldn't make separate forums for sopranos, concerts, tenors, baris, resonators, electrics, plastic ukes... nor banjo ukes.

But that's just my opinion, and I admit to having a habitual bias against splitting forums up into ever smaller enclaves. I am interested to read what others say. How many of you play banjo uke and not any other kind of uke? How many of you would prefer to discuss banjo ukes with other banjo uke players and not waste your time scanning posts about ukuleles in general?

I'm with you on this. Since I play both I read threads on both. I get good info both ways.

Well, since you put it that way.....

The discussion would be almost the same, but louder with the occasional comment, “how do I tone down the noise?”

I'm very much a new comer on UU but this thread caught my eye as I bought Gold Tone Little Gem about 18 months ago for my 75th birthday to go alongside the two soprano ukes I was playing. At first I treated as a different instrument like a small banjo,my middle grandson still thinks that but he is only 6 years old, but having got deeper into the ukulele world it is treat as just another ukulele now. My reasoning for buying a banjo uke was to get a little of the banjo sound I miss from my old band playing back in the day.It does that and more but at the end of the day it is just a beautiful but noisy little ukulele in our house. After all that rambling in the opinion of a newbie there is no need for a separate group for banjoleles or banjo ukes or whatever they are called in your bit of the world. I will now get my flack jacket on to stop any bits of loose ammo flying my way and cutting the strings on my instrument.

Pete,
Hi, and welcome!
I totally get what you mean. I do treat my banjouke as a separate instrument, because I play it in songs that to me, require that sound.
Other songs, never.
I Started it because we do a lot of Irish folk music, especially in March.
I found that it works well on certain other things like, Roseville Fair. But never a Beatles tune, for example.

Pete,
Hi, and welcome!
I totally get what you mean. I do treat my banjouke as a separate instrument, because I play it in songs that to me, require that sound.
Other songs, never.
I Started it because we do a lot of Irish folk music, especially in March.
I found that it works well on certain other things like, Roseville Fair. But never a Beatles tune, for example.

I agree with Nickie. The banjo-uke is to the ukulele as the tenor banjo is to the tenor guitar - alike only in that each has four strings. The sound is radically different despite the same or similar tuning due to fundamental construction differences. It's like comparing a sax to a clarinet. Guitarists see banjos as something quite different from guitars, likewise banjo players towards guitars.

When it comes to seeking banjo-uke related info and such (especially tech related) I find myself going more to banjo forums, especially those with tenor banjo sub-forums. The difference in construction and such compared to guitars and ukuleles finds more expertise in banjo-centric forums.

Yes, we happen to be lucky here at UU to have a couple extremely skilled banjo-uke makers who readily share their knowledge. I don't know if having a separate sub-forum for banjo-ukes would lead to more in-depth discussion about this unique instrument, but what harm could it cause to give it a try.

Steve,
I've been exploring the mini banjo, and I really don't have the jingle to spend on one. What do you know about converting a banjouke to a mini banjo?
Thanks

Steve,
I've been exploring the mini banjo, and I really don't have the jingle to spend on one. What do you know about converting a banjouke to a mini banjo?
Thanks

Would not try to do it. It's the old "steel strings on instrument designed for nylon strings" issue. Unless the instrument has the appropriate (and well braced) tailpiece and proper tuners, the dangers far outweigh the potential gain. I just went through this discussion with a relative who got a classical guitar and was considering steel strings for it.

Oh, no, it would remain a nylon string banjo, it would just have the 5th 'drone' string for my thumb to pick, like Earl Scruggs and other fabulous pickers. It already has a 5 string tailpiece, so why not? I just don't know how to attach a tuner to the neck.

Oh, no, it would remain a nylon string banjo, it would just have the 5th 'drone' string for my thumb to pick, like Earl Scruggs and other fabulous pickers. It already has a 5 string tailpiece, so why not? I just don't know how to attach a tuner to the neck.

That extra tuner would seem to be "major modification." I don't know how to extend the width of the neck to accommodate it.

I have some photos of someone else's work, but they don't show enough detail. The fifth string just hangs outside the fretboard and isn't fretted, because it's picked as a drone.

tuner and pip.jpg

tuner and pip2.jpg

It's great to see what others think of thid and it does open my views up a bit and yes I suppose I keep my banjo uke for certain types of music usually bluegrass / old time mountain (I am ashamed to admit I do find it hard to differentiate ) and also reliving old Irish songsfrom my solo folk club days.I would certainly follow such group closely as I'm quite a novice on the instrument compsred to many on here, by the way Jim the 2 links you highlight do not seem to be available to general members

I just joined both groups, it was easy.

My experience with the various groups within "community" has been disappointing. The banjo-uke (and many other) groups start out for a short time with a few folk joining, making a couple posts and then drifting off. If one checks the group's posting history, many groups die off as fast as they are born. Don't know why, but the phenomenum is widespread.

Has anyone played the Flea Fly banjo uke yet?
I played one that a friend bought.
Wow, it weighs - nothing.
Such tone, and great volume. I got the hots for one, but I need to calm down on buying....jeez.

Top Bottom