Asked to play in church!

jnicholes

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Something happened I did NOT expect. Here is the rundown:

There was a day that the piano in my church went missing. Not stolen, it was moved to another room. I had my guitar on me that day and was able to be a replacement for the piano. This was MANY months ago.

Ever since then, I brought my soprano ukulele to church in case it happened again, and if it didnt, I would just accompany the piano.

Last Sunday I was asked to help in the Nursery, where all the little kids were. THIS time, they asked me if I could bring my soprano ukulele next week for singing time in the Nursery! I did NOT expect that!

I am so happy that my ukulele playing is making a difference in church!

Here is the song I will be playing:

I will let you all know how it goes on Sunday.

Jared

I play in church during services a fair amount. Due to money issues we have no full time paid musicians on staff. We have a part time choir director and I also sing in the choir. Generally the choir performs once a month.
Several parish members donate their time to fill out the rest of the month. We have a jazz service and I'll sometimes play djembe for that.
Generally I'll play classical pieces but have also played a few Beatles compositions. I'll play during communion, the prelude before services or the postlude after. It's a fun thing to do.
I recently got back from visiting my wife's family in Hawaii and attend church at the parish she grew up in. I played during communion one Sunday as well as joining the hand bell group for a few other services.

The kids will adore you.

I play in the worship band at church every Sunday. It’s a wonderful experience. I’m glad you are getting to use the thing that brings you joy to spread that joy to others. Awesome.

I am and have always been an agnostic, but I understand what feeling of elevation you guys can get from those ceremony moments. They bring sort of peace of mind that we humans need.
It never hurts to pray for example :)

I am and have always been an agnostic, but I understand what feeling of elevation you guys can get from those ceremony moments. They bring sort of peace of mind that we humans need.
It never hurts to pray for example :)

I completely understand. We all have our different beliefs. Nothing wrong with that.

Jared

Next task is fundraising to buy a few ukes for the kids to play.

A group of them playing in your Church at a special occasion late next year and there will not be a dry eye, guaranteed.

Lovely tune Jared. I think you will be a hit. (Have a backup ready for that encore. Maybe something fast and bright to leave 'em wanting more.)

Seriously, that is really cool. Have fun with it.

Lovely tune Jared. I think you will be a hit. (Have a backup ready for that encore. Maybe something fast and bright to leave 'em wanting more.)

Seriously, that is really cool. Have fun with it.

I have two backups ready. It's going to be fun!

Next task is fundraising to buy a few ukes for the kids to play.

A group of them playing in your Church at a special occasion late next year and there will not be a dry eye, guaranteed.

Dont know if I can do that in my church or not, (LDS,) I'll have to ask the bishop.

However, I am planning on getting myself a concert ukulele sometime, so maybe I can lend my soprano to one of the kids.

Jared

Hello Everyone!

Something happened I did NOT expect. Here is the rundown:

There was a day that the piano in my church went missing. Not stolen, it was moved to another room. I had my guitar on me that day and was able to be a replacement for the piano. This was MANY months ago.

Ever since then, I brought my soprano ukulele to church in case it happened again, and if it didnt, I would just accompany the piano.

Last Sunday I was asked to help in the Nursery, where all the little kids were. THIS time, they asked me if I could bring my soprano ukulele next week for singing time in the Nursery! I did NOT expect that!

I am so happy that my ukulele playing is making a difference in church!

Here is the song I will be playing:

I will let you all know how it goes on Sunday.

Jared

Beautiful! Maybe you can eventually get some cheap ukes for the kids to play. "Playin' and Prayin' with Jared." :)

Beautiful! Maybe you can eventually get some cheap ukes for the kids to play. "Playin' and Prayin' with Jared." :)

Playing and praying, I like that! It also fits in with a church scripture! Great idea!

Nice tune, not familiar with it. Sounded a bit like This is my Fathers World. Pastor asked me to play one time, said it would build patience in tribulation among the congregation. (Just Kidding). Actually our church music is led, most times by Tom Lubben (Lubben Brothers). Check them out.

There is always the danger if things and people there get too far carried in religion. While I told of being agnostic mostly, I belong too to the evangelical lutheran church of Finland. Just so you all take care in what ever religion ;)

I’m looking forward to hearing about your experience. I think that playing for and with little children would be enormously rewarding.

We don't play ukulele much in church, but this year we're doing a 30 minute Christmas thing after service, Classical pieces and fun carols too...
I"m also agnostic, but Unity church is fun. I have a few friends there, and some of them have never heard us play.

Playing at church went GREAT today. The kids loved it. Played 3 church songs for kids.

Jared

Top Bottom