Build Thread: Cripple Creek Mandolins Mahogany Teardrop Soprano

CPG

Reaction score
So a little while back I saw this for sale in the Marketplace and sent the maker (David Hanson) an email asking some questions about it. That one has already sold, but David sent me some pictures of the in progress build of what I just learned is kerneltime's adirondack/cedar teardrop.

Long story short, I ended up tossing a few idea's David's way and ordered one.

I asked for mine to be more like the original Favilla teardrop's, but with some styling more like style 2 Martin sop.

Here's what I ultimately asked for:

- Mahogany top/back/sides.
- Small fretboard dots reminiscent of vintage Martins and Favillas. Side dots in all standard locations.
- Ebony nut and saddle
- 15 frets, 1.5" nut, 14" scale (like the one that sold)
- 3 pointed crown style headstock with some type of nice wood overlay.
- Peghead tuners.
- Simple binding and rosette in black, white, or black & white

Finally, in this video discussing an old Favilla teardrop they mention (starting at about 3 minutes) that the originals only had 2 ladder braces, one below and one above the sound hole, with no fan braces and no bridge plate. David, thought his needed some bracing so we landed on "minimal bracing to the extent to which he is comfortable with the structural integrity". Based on our conversations I believe this will end up being a bridge plate and one vertical fan brace (I think he usually uses 3), but again it will depend on what he is ultimately comfortable with and I am happy with whatever he decides.

Anyway, he just finished up kernaltime's and I got my first build pics today.

Here they are: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JpCdKTRqaN7HxzfaA. I love the headstock. Traditional 3-pointed crown but looks to have some extra swoop!

David says he found a nicely matched set for the top, back and sides and that he has an cool idea for the headstock overlay.

Looking forward to the seeing it come together!

Last edited:
Thanks. I think that since it will be based on the Favilla but with more Martin-like styling I will call it "The Mavilla", which I think is a better name than the other option "The Fartin".

Thanks. I think that since it will be based on the Favilla but with more Martin-like styling I will call it "The Mavilla", which I think is a better name than the other option "The Fartin".

Good call. :p :rofl:

Thanks. I'm pretty excited about this now. I must admit I had some moments where I was thinking I shouldn't have ordered this (just because I've bought to many lately) but now I am so glad I did. It's gonna be such a cool uke!

David keeps sending me progress pics. This is fun to see coming together.

Got this yeserday:

"The neck and soundboard are clamped down on a form. This insure perfect alignment. The soundboard is epoxied to the neck, rather than use wood glue. The joint tends to get misaligned with the pressure needed for wood glue. The epoxy bonds by contact, so it doesn't need hard clamping.

The sides drop into the neck slots while the soundboard and neck are still clamped down on the form."

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u8s84j3pzzCGCTZS9

-

Sounds like he knows what he's doing. It will be great to see the finished product. Congrats!

Nice looking build. How deep is the body on this ukulele? Love to her smoke when finished. I much prefer the head stock you choose over the fancy schroll one on web site. I can’t seem to download the sound sample on my iPad so will wait and see if you do a nNUD review with sound sample. Congrats

Nice looking build. How deep is the body on this ukulele? Love to her smoke when finished. I much prefer the head stock you choose over the fancy schroll one on web site. I can’t seem to download the sound sample on my iPad so will wait and see if you do a nNUD review with sound sample. Congrats

Thanks. I'm not sure how deep it's going to end up being. At one point Dave said he might shoot to make it 3" (quite deep for a sop) in an effort increase volume, but we went back and forth about the depth a little bit and, honestly, I don't recall where we landed.

Dave, if you're reading this about where is the depth going to end up?

Wow... The grain in the head-plate is beautiful!! The whole build is coming along very nicely.

By the way...The Favilla you referenced is mine. Mr. Wildwood has worked on 5 ukes (all 1920s thru the 40s) for me so far with another pre 1920 at his shop currently.

Thanks. I'm not sure how deep it's going to end up being. At one point Dave said he might shoot to make it 3" (quite deep for a sop) in an effort increase volume, but we went back and forth about the depth a little bit and, honestly, I don't recall where we landed.

Dave, if you're reading this about where is the depth going to end up?

The depth is 2 3/4".

Wow... The grain in the head-plate is beautiful!! The whole build is coming along very nicely.

By the way...The Favilla you referenced is mine. Mr. Wildwood has worked on 5 ukes (all 1920s thru the 40s) for me so far with another pre 1920 at his shop currently.

Hey that's cool. Would love to hear how your's sounds. Jake setup my Martin 1C for me. He's a great guy and does great work!

More from David:

"Well, the last "construction" step is done with the fret bd glued in place. Note the steel rod that keeps the fretbd level while the glue dries. Tomorrow I'll sand it out and get it stained."

DSCF0413.jpg

Body stained and first couple coats of finish applied. I didn't realize how much curl was in the top. Looks great! I'm so happy with how this is coming out.

DSCF0416.jpg

Top Bottom