Strap preference: attach to head stock or base of neck?

Where do you prefer to attach a ukulele strap?

• On the head stock

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • On a button on/near the base of the neck

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My opinion is that the choice is about what you want to do with the uke. If you want to do several things, you have to prioritise which is most important.

1. Don't drill a collectible you need to keep in pristine condition to maintain re-sale. The straps pins should not really affect re-sale, but they can. If there are no pins a buyer has the choice of fitting pins or not. If the uke already has the pins, the buyer has no choice unless he or she wants to remove the pins and try to fix the holes.

I definitely agree with this one. It's not just the price but the rareness of how special it is that would keep me from adding a strap button or two. You can't complain about an instrument that is in the same condition as when it left the factory/workshop.

I definitely agree with this one. It's not just the price but the rareness of how special it is that would keep me from adding a strap button or two. You can't complain about an instrument that is in the same condition as when it left the factory/workshop.

I have heard this about guitars as well. I own a '62 Martin D-21 and a '50 Gibson LG1. Folks told me not to put a button in the heel of either as I would decrease the value. I finally decided that playability is more important to me than resale value. A couple of decades ago, my insurance company requested that I get an official assessment of the value of my guitars. I took them to the Twelfth Fret in Toronto and paid for an assessment. I asked the expert who assessed the value of the guitars if the heel button had any effect on the value of the guitars and he assured me that it had absolutely no effect.
Now I don't know about ukuleles, but I feel that if I'm gonna use it as a player, I should make it as playable as possible. I play standing when I perform and I can't play anything more complicated than first position chords without a strap. Granted, I don't own any vintage instruments, but if I did, they would get at least a strap button in the butt of the uke.
I teach at our local music store and I suggest a strap button on the first day of lessons if the student doesn't have one on their uke.

Jerry says, "You can't complain about an instrument that is in the same condition as when it left the factory/workshop," but I can complain if the instrument is not playable for my purposes and a simple alteration will fix this.

Last edited:
I have heard this about guitars as well. I own a '62 Martin D-21 and a '50 Gibson LG1. Folks told me not to put a button in the heel of either as I would decrease the value. I finally decided that playability is more important to me than resale value. A couple of decades ago, my insurance company requested that I get an official assessment of the value of my guitars. I took them to the Twelfth Fret in Toronto and paid for an assessment. I asked the expert who assessed the value of the guitars if the heel button had any effect on the value of the guitars and he assured me that it had absolutely no effect.
Now I don't know about ukuleles, but I feel that if I'm gonna use it as a player, I should make it as playable as possible. I play standing when I perform and I can't play anything more complicated than first position chords without a strap. Granted, I don't own any vintage instruments, but if I did, they would get at least a strap button in the butt of the uke.
I teach at our local music store and I suggest a strap button on the first day of lessons if the student doesn't have one on their uke.

Jerry says, "You can't complain about an instrument that is in the same condition as when it left the factory/workshop," but I can complain if the instrument is not playable for my purposes and a simple alteration will fix this.

The added button might not affect the "book price," if there is one, but individual buyers have individual preferences. If a button or two is offered by the dealer, I wouldn't feel bad about adding one or two. I find it interesting that some ukes come standard with only one button - on the lower bout.

If an added strap button can affect the desirability/price, then surely, adding a pickup must also.

Except for those who want a pickup. I know some people for whom a pickup is essential. Someone buying a special uke with the intention of keeping it and waiting for the price to rise and then sell it would want to keep it stock. I figure if it's my uke, I'll do what I want with it. As I said above, a very special uke - Scepter, Pineapple Sunday, 100th Anniversary model - would not receive any modifications.

A lot of you have said you prefer that the strap be fastened near the heel rather than round the headstock, but looking at my concert uke I'm thinking, how would I get a strap button on there? Its tiny!

I prefer the heel. But, for the past two years I have been afflicted with left shoulder issues and can't bear the weight of a strap for very long. I have been using a ribbon and playing sitting down unless performing. The ribbon helps manage the head of the uke.

I had a strap button added to the heel of my Donaldson Custom Concert Ukulele. I forgot to ask Bradford to put one on when he built the uke, and just worked around it for a while, until I happened to bump into a very well known luthier who was doing setups and installing strap pins at a ukulele festival, all for whatever someone wanted to drop in a donation box for a kid with some medical issues. Since this was a person who I would trust completely with any of my instruments, I asked him to install the button, and he said "sure", eyeballed the place it needed to go, and with no hesitation proceeded to drill into the neck of my custom-built ukulele, without so much as a pencil mark to guide him.

It was perfect.

But then, that was what I expected from Rick Turner, and that was what I got.

I honestly don't remember which of my ukes have strap buttons and which don't. ( I think everything with a pickup, other than the fluke, has a heel button.) I mostly play seated while gigging now, due to an arthritic back, nut I've also realized I don't need a strap, even when standing up, regardless of whether I play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd position chords, irrespective of the size, or composition, of the uke. I need the strap mostly ***between**** songs.

I'm prefer heal of the neck, and I have no concern what-so-ever adding buttons to my ukes, no matter how expensive they are. I believe they ADD value to the uke because a strap can be used when needed, or not.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I'm prefer heal of the neck, and I have no concern what-so-ever adding buttons to my ukes, no matter how expensive they are. I believe they ADD value to the uke because a strap can be used when needed, or not.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

...proceeded to drill into the neck of my custom-built ukulele, without so much as a pencil mark to guide him.

I always put a piece of painter's tape where I'm going to drill. It doesn't take much for the drill bit to slip a "bit."

To find the center of the lower bout, I use the joint that most ukes have for left and right. For up and down, I cut a piece of paper the width of the bout and then fold it in half. There's no measuring in 32nds or 64ths.

Headstock!! I find the neck doesn't have enough support if I attach to the heel lol. I think if I did more strumming then fingerpicking I would be fine with attaching it to the heel though

Top Bottom