they've switched our lines or numbers
i'm trying to get my messages
it's vic here
it's vic here

there's a very lovely lady trying to get through to me
this is urgent, yeah

it's vic here

Thanks again for hosting Berni!

Time hasn't allowed for me to approach options one or two this week, so i've done another song covered by Melanie originally written by the Rolling Stones.

Thought someone would have done this Melanie by now.Must have been the Edwin Hawkins choir scaring people off. I thought about doing 50 overdubs in my best Gospel voice...but time didn't permit.

Mary's Song

I know the video's out of sync with the audio. I don't know why, other than I have a crap computer, and it's too late in the Season to try to fix it now.

berni did a great song about sleeplessness for season 394, here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rImYGLGIQYI

here's a song from the opposite perspective, of someone who doesn't seem to have any trouble drifting away

"drift away"

sometimes you just gotta let it go-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh

i see myself floating high, like a cloud in the sky
i see myself floating high, like a cloud in the sky

now i'm flying free, i see all the beauty of nature below me
now i'm flying free, i see all the beauty of nature below me, below me

i'm so high above, i can only see the love
i'm so high above, i can only see the love
i feel the love

can you drift away?
can you drift away?
can you drift away?
can you drift away?

I wish I had more time to do an original, but not this time. Either way Berni, as soon as you mentioned Melanie, this was the first song that came to me :D. I always thought Melanie had written the words, but now I have found out that is not the case, they were written by A.A Milne. I thought someone would have done this already.....

"Instant Premier".. a new feature of You Tube... mine is in about 30 seconds..
|

One more week where I looked up songs and chords, but didn't manage to learn anything.

But great songs from the rest of you!

Well, that's 406 wound up. I asked Joko to please post his budding masterpiece here, even if the Season is officially closed and the baton has been handed over to Val :D

If my maths is correct, we had 19 original songs from 11 Seasonistas (not counting me or mine) and 14 covers from 10 Seasonistas.

I am particularly proud to have been the midwife of the originals. Nineteen songs now exist which would not have existed had I not issued the challenge(s).

There were some brilliant response songs and some wonderful total originals. It is going to be very difficult to choose an outright winner of the mystery instrument.

So, I am going to spend some time in the next couple of days listening carefully to all of the originals again and then I will make a short list and finally either choose a winner, or else randomise the short listed entries and choose an overall winner by raffle. I will let you all know when I have reached a decision. Meanwhile, can I simply say a HUGE thank you to everyone who contributed this week. Despite the "outage" in the middle of the week, I have really enjoyed hosting and I hope I don't leave it too long before I host again.

Una abraçada a tots! ( a big hug for you all)

Berni

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting Berni. It was really fun to step up to the challenge. And so many fantastic originals this week.

Wait, what? Closed... but I'm only 18 hours late!

(Masterpiece? psshaw)

[Bm]Let me tell you[A] about a [F#m]man [D]
[Bm]But he was no [A]ordinary man [F#m]he was Fran[D]cis bacon
[Bm]In life he earned a[A] place , [F#m]in the end he[d] fell in disgrace
[Bm]And no One man [A]has done[F#m] what he did[F#m] since [D] since

[As2] [Bm] Bacon… [D] A scien[E]tist
Bacon.. Of legal genius
Bacon.. An empiricist
Bacon… He made our..
…world

[Bm] [A] [F#m] [D]
He caught the eye of a queen
His brilliant mind brought success as well as enemies
even though they tried to bring him down
Because of him in Britain there’s a single crown

Bacon… No one like him
Bacon… Rosicrucian
Bacon… Intellectual
Bacon… Homosexual

They say he was the lover of King James
And that he was the author of Shakespeare
Perhaps distractions from buggery
Drove his peculiarity but if he could see
Our modern world he’d be happy happy

Well, it has been so difficult to decide on a winner for my week. There were so many great original songs in both categories. Pa solemnly opened us up with his answer to the pathological optimism of "Things Can Only Get Better" with Rob keeping the protest flag flying with his scathing "Dennis vs Rupert". Then there were songs that just put a big smile on my face like Steve's "I'm the Guy who Found Hank" or Val's feisty reply to "Honey Pie". And there were songs that were perfect ripostes to the originals too like Ylle's "Jolene" or Red Paul's "Mary's Song" to choose just two off the top of my head a week after the season ended. Oh and, of course, Mats' superb take on the Devil at the Crossroads theme (how can you write such a fine song in a language not your own?). Lynda (BEV) really got the creative juices going too and came up with some gems (my ISB bias steering me inevitably towards her "Maybe Someday" as the best of them). Joko gave us some zany antics early on and then kept us on tenterhooks with his experimental song about Francis Bacon.

In the totally original category, Alan P gave us a ballad about Billy the Kid's Girlfriend, proof that love can make you blind to even the worst excesses of your partner ( I was reminded of that song watching "The Irishman" this weekend as the wives of the hoods, just get on with life as if their men weren't killers).

However, when it came to really incredible song writing two names shone out for me - John raised the bar to almost unreachable heights, early in the week, with his song about Joan of Arc's sister and then Jon of Van Diemann's land gave us three songs of mystical, almost religious power - making my choice almost impossible.

In the end, I have only got one instrument on offer (for now) so I have decided to offer it to Jon Duncan whose work just keeps going from strength to strength. I hope you will all agree that he is a worthy winner.

But I can't just let it go at that. John (JP888) I have decided to offer you a little runner up prize in consolation, so please get in touch by PM with your snail mail address and I'll get if off to you ASAP (the same goes for you Jon, of course. I had your address years back, but don't know what happened to it.)

So, thanks again to everyone who contributed to both the originals and the covers. I look forward to hosting again some time in 2020.

Top Bottom