Will keeping ukuleles in tune when not being played warp the neck?

joneo

Reaction score
Hello, I have a number of ukuleles and some don't get played very often. I do rotate playing them depending on the circumstances or how I'm feeling that day, however.

Is it bad to keep all these ukuleles in tune even if not being played for a length of time? None have steel strings. They are sopranos, concerts, and tenors. Thanks.

I have nine tenor ukuleles and play them from once a week to once in 2 or 3 months. I leave all in tune and don't have a neck problem with any of them. The nylon/plastic strings don't have anywhere near enough tension to cause that.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
I've never de-tuned any of mine when putting them away, & haven't had any troubles so far after 4 years, so I reckon it's OK to leave them tuned up. :)

My concert has been in its case for months without playing. Pull it out to play, its fine

You may need to retune if you’ve left it unplayed for a long time. Even in a case, slight changes in temperature and humidity can get through. But completely detuning is necessary probably only if you’re shipping it or taking it on a flight.

Top Bottom