Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Southern Cross Gibson Copy Concert Banjo Uke

Quote Originally Posted by DPO View Post
    You would not consider trying to alter the angle of a ukulele neck to change the action.
    Depending on the neck angle, one might choose to alter the angle of the neck. It is commonly called a "neck reset".

All the best,

Ryan

The “original” bridge is probably not original at all and was probably either replaced or altered because everyone these days thinks they need to have super low action.. ugh.. Put a taller bridge on this one and call it a day! Seems like a great deal!! Having owned a Southern Cross I will say they are made very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jddewitt81 View Post
    The “original” bridge is probably not original at all and was probably either replaced or altered because everyone these days thinks they need to have super low action.. ugh.. Put a taller bridge on this one and call it a day! Seems like a great deal!! Having owned a Southern Cross I will day they are made very well.
    You could be correct, but I specifically asked the seller "is your replacement bridge lower than the original?." The seller then replied "I've got both bridges, the original and the Gold Tone. Both are about the same height.".. ugh..

It does seem like a good deal.

Yeah but because they are not the original buyer who knows if that bridge is even “original”. It definitely doesn’t look like it would take much to get it where it needs to be and you are probably correct that new head added a bit of height too. By the end of it the seller will just wished they added a taller bridge to it before listing it haha. It’s a cheap easy fix though!! Someone should buy it before I do! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Milwaukee Matzen View Post
    Depending on the neck angle, one might choose to alter the angle of the neck. It is commonly called a "neck reset".

All the best,

Ryan
    Correct. However 99% of poor actions do not need a "neck reset" they only need a bit of work on the saddle or perhaps the nut.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dponeil@xtra.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jddewitt81 View Post
    Yeah but because they are not the original buyer who knows if that bridge is even “original”. It definitely doesn’t look like it would take much to get it where it needs to be and you are probably correct that new head added a bit of height too. By the end of it the seller will just wished they added a taller bridge to it before listing it haha. It’s a cheap easy fix though!! Someone should buy it before I do! ��
    The instrument was originally set up with a calfskin head and a Grover bridge (I now make my own) and it played all the way up the neck, I would not have let it go in the condition it is in now. Personally I would put the original head and bridge back on, the Remo head would have added little to the instruments sound. And the action on my instruments are not rim rod adjustable.
    PS Its a bargain!!
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dponeil@xtra.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by DPO View Post
    Correct. However 99% of poor actions do not need a "neck reset" they only need a bit of work on the saddle or perhaps the nut.
    When it comes to ukuleles, I agree with that.

I also agree that it is a good deal.

This is a super deal. A small nut and/or saddle adjustment for a higher-end banjo-uke......this is a great opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    For those that have not realised yet, our member DPO made the Southern Cross banjos, including this one. I think you can rely on what he says about this uke to be accurate. It is great getting this level of help in a selling thread.
    Agreed. Dennis made a beautiful banjolele here. Someone needs to play it more than I do.
    Beansprout 4 String Banjo
    Beansprout Concert Banjo Uke
    Beltona concert resonator
    Tyde concert learner uke
    Stuart Wailing nickel/brass concert
    Gold Tone Little Gem concert banjolele
    Gold Tone BUC concert banjolele
    Kmise Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    Agreed. Dennis made a beautiful banjolele here. Someone needs to play it more than I do.
    P.S. There seems to be a few comments on the other bridge. I've got it. I have no idea whether it's original. The uke came to me with a calf head that was worn and ended up splitting when I attempted to tune it -- hence, the Remo head.

I suspect that with a few minor adjustments -- e.g., as Dennis mentioned a higher bridge -- the issue at the 14th fret would disappear. I just don't have the inclination to go through that process. Still, if someone would, that person will get a gorgeous uke. I hope that helps.
    Beansprout 4 String Banjo
    Beansprout Concert Banjo Uke
    Beltona concert resonator
    Tyde concert learner uke
    Stuart Wailing nickel/brass concert
    Gold Tone Little Gem concert banjolele
    Gold Tone BUC concert banjolele
    Kmise Baritone

Thread Information