FS: Southern Cross Gibson Copy Concert Banjo Uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal

Reaction score
Southern Cross 1.jpgSouthern Cross 2.jpgSouthern Cross 4.jpgSouthern Cross 5.jpg

I got this from another forum member and put some work into it, including: getting the frets professionally dressed; replacing the head with a new Remo Renaissance; replacing the bridge with a newer Gold Tone bridge; and adding a brass armrest. It sounds good and projects very well. It has a few minor signs of use. The action is low enough that at the 14th fret, if you're pressing the string down, it doesn't clear the head -- as shown in the photo. But most people never get that high not he neck.

I'm asking $325 with free shipping in the CONUS.

Is the neck straight (I would assume that it is)? If so, is your replacement bridge lower than the original? If it is the same height, does the uke have a coordinator rod? If it does, you could adjust the neck angle with the coordinator rod.

The neck is straight. I've got both bridges, the original and the Gold Tone. Both are about the same height. I just like that the Gold Tone has three supports. The shell does have a rod in it. I hope that helps.

Is the neck straight (I would assume that it is)? If so, is your replacement bridge lower than the original? If it is the same height, does the uke have a coordinator rod? If it does, you could adjust the neck angle with the coordinator rod.

No you can't. it's a fallacy. Unless you are prepared to shim the neck to body joint that is.

Oh that looks neat!

That's tempting. It would be neat if you could do a playing sample of all the ones you're selling compared to the Beansprout.

That's tempting. It would be neat if you could do a playing sample of all the ones you're selling compared to the Beansprout.

If anyone is seriously interested in the Southern Cross, I can try to record a sound sample. In the meantime, here's the Beansprout, which is not for sale. :) https://youtu.be/efv6bl76CNY

No you can't. it's a fallacy. Unless you are prepared to shim the neck to body joint that is.

Not to get too far off topic here...

Since you built this uke, I will not attempt to argue with you. That being said, on most banjos you can adjust the neck angle slightly via the coordinator rod. I would assume that it would be the same with a banjo uke (It definitely is on the vintage Gibson banjo mandolins that I have owned).

When it comes to banjos (in general), it is not a fallacy. Even the two Ome banjos that I own, that have what look like dowel sticks, have spacers on one end that can be added or removed in order to make slight neck adjustments.

The Romero that I used to have used a system that was similar to early Gibson banjos. Here's a description from their website:

COORDINATOR ROD
We're proud to be using a coordinator rod & neck attachment system designed in our workshop here at Romero Banjos. We created this original design here in the banjo workshop early on, and believe it is the best way to attach a banjo neck. OME Banjos and Vance Banjos both liked it so much that they have also adapted our design on their instruments.

Romero banjo necks are attached using a two lagbolt technique adapted from early Gibson banjos, in use since the 1920s. However, rather than having two metal coordinator rods - one attached to each lagbolt - we continue to use two lagbolts to attach the neck and rim but have developed a unique single coordinator rod using machined brass and wood. Combining the functionality and strength of a metal coordinator rod with the beauty of the wooden dowel stick common to turn-of-the-century open back banjos, our proprietary attachment system results in excellent tone, long-term stability, and ease and adaptability for future adjustments."

Here's a video on adjusting a coordinator rod from another major banjo manufacturer:

Here's Frank Ford's take on coordinator rods:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Banjo/CoordRods/coordrod1.html

Excerpt from the book "How to Set Up the Best Sounding Banjo" by Roger Siminoff:
rods.jpg

Here's Jake Wildwood's blog page in which he writes about making a coordinator rod adjustment on a 1920's Gibson UB3 banjo ukulele:
https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2015/07/1920s-gibson-ub-3-banjo-ukulele.html

The strings should not be hitting the head of the uke. My intent was to give the seller (or buyer) some ideas on how to remedy this issue.

Since the banjo ukulele is of your creation, maybe you could offer some insight on how best to remedy this?

All the best,

Ryan

edit: I added three more references having to do with coordinator rods.

Last edited:
Not to get too far off topic here...

Since you built this uke, I will not attempt to argue with you. That being said, on most banjos you can adjust the neck angle slightly via the coordinator rod. I would assume that it would be the same with a banjo uke (It definitely is on the vintage Gibson banjo mandolins that I have owned).

When it comes to banjos (in general), it is not a fallacy. Even the two Ome banjos that I own, that have what look like dowel sticks, have spacers on one end that can be added or removed in order to make slight neck adjustments.

The Romero that I used to have used a system that was similar to early Gibson banjos. Here's a description from their website:

"COORDINATOR ROD
We're proud to be using a coordinator rod & neck attachment system designed in our workshop here at Romero Banjos. We created this original design here in the banjo workshop early on, and believe it is the best way to attach a banjo neck. OME Banjos and Vance Banjos both liked it so much that they have also adapted our design on their instruments.

Romero banjo necks are attached using a two lagbolt technique adapted from early Gibson banjos, in use since the 1920s. However, rather than having two metal coordinator rods - one attached to each lagbolt - we continue to use two lagbolts to attach the neck and rim but have developed a unique single coordinator rod using machined brass and wood. Combining the functionality and strength of a metal coordinator rod with the beauty of the wooden dowel stick common to turn-of-the-century open back banjos, our proprietary attachment system results in excellent tone, long-term stability, and ease and adaptability for future adjustments."

Here's a video on adjusting a coordinator rod from another major banjo manufacturer:

The strings should not be hitting the head of the uke. My intent was to give the seller (or buyer) some ideas on how to remedy this issue.

Since the banjo ukulele is of your creation, maybe you could offer some insight on how best to remedy this?

All the best,

Ryan

As I stated you can not alter the action on a banjo uke by playing with the rim rod, unless, you are prepared to shim the neck and do it well. The item in question may need a taller bridge, which is why companies make bridges of varying heights. When I made this instrument quite a few years ago the strings did not hit the head. However, it has presumably been through a few owners since then. The original calfskin head has been changed so the instrument has been disassembled, maybe more than once. At the time of the build, the break angle of the neck to the body would have been very close to 2.5 degrees or 87.5 degrees if you prefer. The bridge was probably a Grover half-inch or could have been a 5/8th inch I can't remember that far back. Once the break angle is established it is not possible to change it by altering the tension on the rim rod, unless you are prepared to shim the neck. The correct way is to alter the height of the bridge. Just like shimming or sanding the bottom of a uke saddle if the action was off at the bridge end. You would not consider trying to alter the angle of a ukulele neck to change the action. I do not make Banjos or Mandolins so will not address those instruments.
PS The original reason for rim rods on banjo ukes was to stop the ply bodies from deforming under string tension, which in my humble opinion was never needed. But, people expect to see them and so silly builders like me follow convention. I could easily build banjo ukes without any rim rods, just two hanger bolts which incidentally would still not offer a method of action adjustment.

Last edited:
In my experience (on a banjo), the adjustments are usually small enough were a shim would not be needed. I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I've encountered a few banjos were previous owners (while thinking that they were just "tightening things up"), unknowingly made a coordinator rod adjustment and pushed or pulled the neck out of alignment. I was thinking that this may be the case with this uke.

The seller previously stated that the replacement bridge was the same height as the original bridge. Otherwise, like you are saying, I would have suggested a taller bridge. The only other thing that I can think of (besides the coordinator rod being messed with) is that the Ren head may have a different crown height than the original and/or it is not tightened as it should.

All the best,

Ryan

You would not consider trying to alter the angle of a ukulele neck to change the action.

Depending on the neck angle, one might choose to alter the angle of the neck. It is commonly called a "neck reset".

All the best,

Ryan

The “original” bridge is probably not original at all and was probably either replaced or altered because everyone these days thinks they need to have super low action.. ugh.. Put a taller bridge on this one and call it a day! Seems like a great deal!! Having owned a Southern Cross I will say they are made very well.

The “original” bridge is probably not original at all and was probably either replaced or altered because everyone these days thinks they need to have super low action.. ugh.. Put a taller bridge on this one and call it a day! Seems like a great deal!! Having owned a Southern Cross I will day they are made very well.

You could be correct, but I specifically asked the seller "is your replacement bridge lower than the original?." The seller then replied "I've got both bridges, the original and the Gold Tone. Both are about the same height.".. ugh..

It does seem like a good deal.

Yeah but because they are not the original buyer who knows if that bridge is even “original”. It definitely doesn’t look like it would take much to get it where it needs to be and you are probably correct that new head added a bit of height too. By the end of it the seller will just wished they added a taller bridge to it before listing it haha. It’s a cheap easy fix though!! Someone should buy it before I do! ��

Depending on the neck angle, one might choose to alter the angle of the neck. It is commonly called a "neck reset".

All the best,

Ryan

Correct. However 99% of poor actions do not need a "neck reset" they only need a bit of work on the saddle or perhaps the nut.

Yeah but because they are not the original buyer who knows if that bridge is even “original”. It definitely doesn’t look like it would take much to get it where it needs to be and you are probably correct that new head added a bit of height too. By the end of it the seller will just wished they added a taller bridge to it before listing it haha. It’s a cheap easy fix though!! Someone should buy it before I do! ��

The instrument was originally set up with a calfskin head and a Grover bridge (I now make my own) and it played all the way up the neck, I would not have let it go in the condition it is in now. Personally I would put the original head and bridge back on, the Remo head would have added little to the instruments sound. And the action on my instruments are not rim rod adjustable. :)
PS Its a bargain!!

Correct. However 99% of poor actions do not need a "neck reset" they only need a bit of work on the saddle or perhaps the nut.

When it comes to ukuleles, I agree with that.

I also agree that it is a good deal.

This is a super deal. A small nut and/or saddle adjustment for a higher-end banjo-uke......this is a great opportunity.

For those that have not realised yet, our member DPO made the Southern Cross banjos, including this one. I think you can rely on what he says about this uke to be accurate. It is great getting this level of help in a selling thread.

Agreed. Dennis made a beautiful banjolele here. Someone needs to play it more than I do.

Agreed. Dennis made a beautiful banjolele here. Someone needs to play it more than I do.

P.S. There seems to be a few comments on the other bridge. I've got it. I have no idea whether it's original. The uke came to me with a calf head that was worn and ended up splitting when I attempted to tune it -- hence, the Remo head.

I suspect that with a few minor adjustments -- e.g., as Dennis mentioned a higher bridge -- the issue at the 14th fret would disappear. I just don't have the inclination to go through that process. Still, if someone would, that person will get a gorgeous uke. I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom