Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disaster

Default Disaster!

The split starts about half an inch from the heel block, and runs almost the full length of the side to within half an inch of the tail block. At first, the edges of the split were not well aligned with each other. There was no significant gap, but the upper and lower sections were offset, leaving a small but unacceptable step.

Lining it up by finger pressure in one place just seemed to make it worse in another. The point of impact was low down, between the line of the bridge and the tail. There is a clear mark and the wood is very slightly depressed.

The inside of the split between the neck and the waist is accessible through the sound hole. That section could be persuaded to line up well, so I glued and lightly clamped this half, fitting three cleats. Super Glue for the crack, hot hide for the cleats.

Fortunately, this stabilized everything, and caused the rest of the split to come into good alignment. All of the split is now closed with Super Glue, and I just have to fit three cleats inside the lower section. Did I say "just"? Well it's tricky, but doable.

The side will need to be cleaned up and re-finished. If I manage to make a good job of the shellac finish, it could be an invisible mend.

John ColterOuch!.jpgGlued and cleated from neck to waist.jpg

Impressive life saving operation!

Will the patient be set free to roam in the wild?
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert

Thanks, kkimura. In the post op. period, it will be most beneficial for the patient to undertake a period of physiotherapy. Taken gently, at first, but building up to a strenuous daily work-out. I can provide the necessary facilities. I will issue a further bulletin, and a video, when the patient is back to full health.

The previous Ken Timms style 0 that I resuscitated (which is roaming wild) will be going to Japan for the Xmas period, then to Australia.

John Colter

Default Disaster!

The repair went well. It now has now six internal cleats and is really solid. Applying a shellac finish is something new for me, but I haven't messed it up - yet! It's been suggested that I leave it for a week, for the shellac to harden thoroughly, before blending in with 1200 grade wet & dry.

So, it will be a wee while before the job is finished. Here's a close-up of how it looked with two coats of shellac.
    14 - two coats.jpg

John Colter

Default Disaster!

Just in case anybody might be interested, and wondering what happened with this project - I was advised to let the new coats of shellac harden for at least a week, before trying to blend it in with the existing French Polished finish. So I decided to leave it until after the holidays.

It has now been rubbed down with 1200 "wet & dry" (wet), and that went well, except that the new finish became a bit thin in places. Three more thin coats were wiped on, yesterday. After a further seven days drying time, I hope it may be possible to blend it in to give an acceptable overall appearance.

Repairing the split side took much less time than the re-finishing!

John Colter

What a fantastic result to date, I feel sure that the final finish will also be excellent, congratulations and well done. I look forward to hearing what this Ukes future will be, keep and play yourself or maybe a second (salvaged) Timms traveling the World and linking on-line friends?
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 01-05-2020 at 09:12 PM.

John,
    What CA glue was used on the cracks?

Hi Ukeanixi, I used Bostic Super Glue, marked "Multi-Purpose Liquid". It is just a regular household brand. The important thing is that it is a thin liquid type. This helps it to penetrate the crack very quickly. Some other types of CA are much thicker and don't work so well on closed cracks.

You have to use it sparingly, and very carefully, or it will go everywhere and make a mess.

John Colter

ps. I was not familiar with the term "Inland Empire". Just spent a few minutes googling. It looks like a delightful place to live.
    Last edited by ukantor; 01-05-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Hi Ukeanixi, I used Bostic Super Glue, marked "Multi-Purpose Liquid". It is just a regular household brand. The important thing is that it is a thin liquid type. This helps it to penetrate the crack very quickly. Some other types of CA are much thicker and don't work so well on closed cracks.

You have to use it sparingly, and very carefully, or it will go everywhere and make a mess.

John Colter

ps. I was not familiar with the term "Inland Empire". Just spent a few minutes googling. It looks like a delightful place to live.
    We here in the colonies don't have that brand. One that I just heard about is FastCap 2P-10. It's a system, for wood, including a rubberized version that's for more "dynamic" repairs. Comes in various viscosities thin to gel. I'm itching to try it.

Spokane is the default capital of the Inland Empire; high desert, very low humidity in summer, high in winter (snow and rain). A real challenge for ukes!

I wasn't sure what they meant by a dynamic repair - "Dynamic, meaning - of a process or system - characterized by constant change, activity, or progress."

For dealing with a closed split, the regular type of liquid CA glue is ideal. Don't go cracking one of your ukes just to try this new stuff! But with a climate like that, you may not have to wait too long.

John Colter

Thread Information