Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from an old beginner

Default Hello from an old beginner

Hi all. I've recently decided to take up an attempt to learn stringed instruments. And thought this would be a great place to enhance my learning experience.

I bought a Charvel Surfcaster A/E at a pawn shop on a whim, and then it snowballed a bit from there. Added an old beater 7-digit sn Yamaha G-85A classical acoustic guitar, pawn shop clearance deal, that I really like.

Then I decided that what I really wanted was a baritone ukulele to learn with. I had a ukulele when I was a kid, so I am somewhat familiar with the instrument. But never had any training or came close to mastering it.

I drive a truck on weekdays, and often have an hour or two or eight that are available for extracurricular activities before I get home in the afternoon/early evening. A baritone uke seems like about the maximum size instrument I would want to carry around. And about the maximum size that I could comfortably play from the drivers seat while sitting around.

So my search continued for a used baritone ukulele. But I wound up with a Mandolin that seemed to cheap to pass up. Another pawn shop clearance deal.
    Figured even if I didn't play it that it might look nice hanging on the wall. A different kind of art if you will.

Then bought a Fretlight 500(pawnshop clearance). A mistake, but cheap enough that I hope to recover most or all of my expense.

And then a way too cheap like new Dean EX-SN that I didn't really want. But just couldn't walk away

So I plan on selling most of these. All except the vintage Yamaha which I really like. And I'll probably add a Les Paul copy that I've been eyeing for quiet unplugged practice at home.

But I really want a nice baritone ukulele as my go-to instrument of choice. Unfortunately these seem to be rare on the used market in my area. So I have come here seeking knowledge in buying and learning this instrument in every way I can.

I don't know where you are but I have a Brunswick BU4B baritone uke and its fantastic. Laminate mahogany, sounds great and cost me about 70
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

I am near Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. Had been considering getting a Makala with the hard foam case just to get started. But the Brunswick may be something to look at.

Welcome to UU
    Grandma Uker Penny

Quote Originally Posted by old and slow View Post
    I am near Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. Had been considering getting a Makala with the hard foam case just to get started. But the Brunswick may be something to look at.
    https://www.brunswickguitars.com/uku...ny-finish.html
    It also comes in maple
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

Welcome old and slow!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I haven't been able to access the site for a couple of days. Kept getting a message from my devices that said it was unsafe. And when I tried to bypass it got a screen that said there wasn't such a site.
    Only happened on the forum. The regular UU site was accessible.

Welcome, I started at about 65. It is great.

Quote Originally Posted by plunker View Post
    Welcome, I started at about 65. It is great.
    Then I've got a little head start on you. And hopefully not as slow as I suggested.

Maybe my screen name should've been "slow to get old". And have aspirations to become associated with "slow-hand"

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome, old and slow! I had the same problem you did re accessing the forum. Not sure what the problem was, but it's good to be back. You will quickly discover that this place is addictive. :-)
    Jan D,

Quote Originally Posted by old and slow View Post
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. I haven't been able to access the site for a couple of days. Kept getting a message from my devices that said it was unsafe. And when I tried to bypass it got a screen that said there wasn't such a site.
    Only happened on the forum. The regular UU site was accessible.
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)

Thread Information