Help me choose a new baritone ukulele up to $300

old and slow

Reaction score
Hello to all. I am new to the sport of ukulele. And new to musical instruments in general. Although I did have a ukulele as a young child, but never advanced to any extent.
My goal is to learn the instrument, and buy a quality instrument that will make learning more fun and continue to motivate me as I progress. I have a habit of accumulating more of any certain thing that I want or need, and that seems contradictory of the travel-light attitude that the ukulele itself presents. So I have come here seeking advice.

I have considered purchasing a Makala MK-B bundle with the hard zippered foam case. And even a Kmise. But I don't care for the plastic parts, and know I would be wanting something better as soon as I got it. But this could be just what I need as a bottom of the barrel option, if I were to eventually have two baritone ukes. And the case itself looks to be of a high enough quality. But I really think I'd like to jump right in for something more of a mid-level uke, which might be a lifetime uke for me.

I have an idea of what I like. Mainly quality components. But am not knowledgeable enough to have any hard and fast requirements, except that I want a baritone uke. And my upper limit is pretty set at under $300. But I might be happy with something closer to $150.

A wide neck profile. Wide nut.
I like the look of a slotted headstock.
Don't care for painted on logos. Although at my price range this appears to be an unavoidable consequence.
I also prefer a solid headstock without laminate. Again this may be something I have to accept in my price range.
Quality tuners are a must.
I want something of a traditional look. So matching top, sides, and back. In a medium or dark color. So no spruce top.
And a deep or woody sound I believe. Nothing too bright.
Not sure that I'm for or against either solid wood, solid top, or all laminate.

Some of the candidates are the Lanikai ACSTB, Cordoba 20BM, Kala KA-B, Kala KA-ZCT-B, Oscar Schmidt OU57. Something in mango or spalted maple maybe.

What do you guys say? What are your thoughts on these or others that I should consider?

Thanks for any and all advice or comments that may point me in the right direction for purchasing a new baritone ukulele.

I have the Kala solid mahogany baritone. It's an excellent value & I highly recommend it.

I will third this recommendation. A member and friend has one, I have played it and it is a great instrument

I have a spalted Kala KA FMB and like it a lot. It’s about the only uke I play much any more. It sounds good to me, and I really like it’s looks.
:eek:ld:

I have a spalted Kala KA FMB and like it a lot. It’s about the only uke I play much any more. It sounds good to me, and I really like it’s looks.
:eek:ld:
I like the looks of the spalted woods. And my guitars have spruce top with darker sides.

But kinda wanted a more traditional look for my uke. And I'll likely have to buy new or have limited options on the used market.

Attachments

• 20191105_152408.jpg
    20191105_152408.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191115_213842.jpg
    20191115_213842.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Maybe check out the Kala cedar top too, mine is fitted with fluorocarbon non wound strings, great tone.
I think I'd like the flourocarbon strings. Might even use the middle four classical guitar strings.

I like the look and sound qualities that come with the cedar top also. So maybe that's an option I haven't considered. But I worry about it's durability.

I think I'd like the flourocarbon strings. Might even use the middle four classical guitar strings.

I like the look and sound qualities that come with the cedar top also. So maybe that's an option I haven't considered. But I worry about it's durability.

I knew Keith would recommend his Kala cedar top as he always does, they have a great tone. Cedar is softer then mahogany, but you probably know this with your classical guitar. I own a few cedar topped instruments and with a bit of care you should no issues, they won’t explode on impact or anything:p

I knew Keith would recommend his Kala cedar top as he always does, they have a great tone. Cedar is softer then mahogany, but you probably know this with your classical guitar. I own a few cedar topped instruments and with a bit of care you should no issues, they won’t explode on impact or anything:p
Actually, I believe that old Yamaha has a spruce top. But cedar is a little softer than spruce.

Not exactly what I was looking for

But I couldn't pass up this old, made in Brazil, Giannini baritone uke that they were practically giving away. A few nicks and dings, and needs new strings. But very solid overall.
I was able to tighten up the friction tuners, but will most likely upgrade to geared tuners down the road.

It has a narrower neck and nut than what I had planned on. And a shorter scale. So that kind of changes my tuning preference. Maybe a re-entrant. Cuatro or banjo tuning maybe. Or probably just standard baritone tuning to start.

This will quell my impatience for the moment. But I still want a bigger bari that I can tune lower....eventually.

Attachments

• giannini baritone uke.jpg
    giannini baritone uke.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Nice. You said you wanted a traditional look, and I think you nailed it on that count!

I have the Kala solid mahogany baritone. It's an excellent value & I highly recommend it.

I will third this recommendation. A member and friend has one, I have played it and it is a great instrument

Ditto on the Kala solid mahogany baritone. That's what I bought when I needed a baritone uke, and it's a good one. It has a quality build, plays well, and sounds good, with a very warm, mellow tone.

Ditto on the Kala solid mahogany baritone. That's what I bought when I needed a baritone uke, and it's a good one. It has a quality build, plays well, and sounds good, with a very warm, mellow tone.

Wow....this seems to be the consensus. And I really love the look of this ukulele too. And the cedar(maybe more) also. And I should probably just go ahead and pick one of these.

But...... I have a wondering eye. I mean these are small instruments. I could easily have two or three baritone ukes. Maybe each tuned a little differently. Or just my one antique Giannini tuned high. And then another tuned more conventionally, or lower.

Now after getting the old cheap baritone today, I'm trying to hold out a little while to find the best deal. Maybe I'll get lucky on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

And as much as I like the features and dimensions of the Kala solid mahogany and the cedar top Kala, I also really like the acacia wood and mango. I've been eyeing the Lanikai ACST-B that's 15% off right now which has similar dimensions to the Kala solid mahogany. And would've probably already bought a Luna bamboo for a knockabout if it came in baritone, and in the large dimensions I would prefer with a wide nut and long scale.

I guess my recent acquisition, even though it's more of a collectable for me due to it's unconventional dimensions, has me hesitating a bit. Because the Kala KA-SMHB really is almost everything I was looking for. But maybe now I'm thinking the Giannini will be my house uke, and I should be looking for something more neglect worthy that I can carry around. Or maybe the Giannini is just something I'll put on the bookshelf for a little contrast to the Kala, and only play the Kala.
It seems to be quite the conundrum.
I need to pick up some strings tomorrow and get the Giannini tuned up and see how it plays and sounds.

Aloha City Ukes in Illinois now has a Black Friday deal on a Pono AB for 349 USD. That's the one baritone I'd pick in that price range.

But I couldn't pass up this old, made in Brazil, Giannini baritone uke that they were practically giving away. A few nicks and dings, and needs new strings. But very solid overall.
I was able to tighten up the friction tuners, but will most likely upgrade to geared tuners down the road.

It has a narrower neck and nut than what I had planned on. And a shorter scale. So that kind of changes my tuning preference. Maybe a re-entrant. Cuatro or banjo tuning maybe. Or probably just standard baritone tuning to start.

This will quell my impatience for the moment. But I still want a bigger bari that I can tune lower....eventually.

I own this very same baritone by Gianinni. It has a wonderful full sound tuned DGBE, although I have goofed around with other tunings. Put on a set of Martin M630 or D’Addario Titanium baritone strings and you are good to go. Congratulations and enjoy your “new to you” baritone. Mine was old and beat up when I bought but plays and sounds great.

I own this very same baritone by Gianinni. It has a wonderful full sound tuned DGBE, although I have goofed around with other tunings. Put on a set of Martin M630 or D’Addario Titanium baritone strings and you are good to go. Congratulations and enjoy your “new to you” baritone. Mine was old and beat up when I bought but plays and sounds great.

Thanks! I just ordered a set of each. D’Addario's should be here today.

After measuring the specs of the Giannini, I started thinking it might be more along the lines of your 19" super tenor. I had been leaning toward flourocarbon(like the m630), but I'm sure either of those strings you suggested will make a huge improvement over what's on there now. And I'm probably not ready to start experimenting with a bunch of different string configurations just yet.

Although I have begun, in my mind, to explore alternative avenues of the baritone uke world. Since joining here, I've been reading about long scale, 22-23", baritone ukes. Some fashioned out of small guitars. And that gives me something else to keep an eye out for, as I believe I'd like to have a super baritone in my collection.

Since you mentioned cedar, I really like my Cordoba 24B. Looks great too with the red padauk binding, but the cedar top Kala has the slotted headstock.

Top Bottom