If you ever thought that steam bending sides was a myth. Very short video 36 secs

Wow, That's very interesting and clever. I would liked to have seen his whole set up.

Wow again! Are those DeStaco clamps or some other kind.? Wonder how long that wood was steamed, source of steam to create a box( often it is a pice of plastic pipe) and if the process works with highly figure wood. Could be a game changer.

Wow again! Are those DeStaco clamps or some other kind.? Wonder how long that wood was steamed, source of steam to create a box( often it is a pice of plastic pipe) and if the process works with highly figure wood. Could be a game changer.

Amazon has the same clamps for around $10.00 each. I've seen people bend pretty thick wood using steam, did you notice the guy bent two pieces at the same time? Some say that thin wood wrinkles bad when steamed, but I think if you use a full width form it would press all of them down flat.

If you look closely he is bending multiple pieces. I would be willing to bet they are very thin in the .040 range maybe less. They will likely be glued together. Still a nice process. You can get steamers on ebay for 20 to $30. I have one and use it in conjunction with a blanket on stubborn valuable wood.

If you look closely he is bending multiple pieces. I would be willing to bet they are very thin in the .040 range maybe less. They will likely be glued together. Still a nice process.
He posted more details elsewhere: it's three layers of alternating grain 1/16 maple, then let dry 24 hours before Tite-bonding in the same rig.

The only concern I would have about this type of steam bending, is that the bent strips are not able to expel the moisture due to the fact they are locked into the side forms. How long before the moisture is gone? If it were me, I would transfer the bent strips into another open working side form after about an hour so the strip will dry into the desired shape.

Top Bottom