Mélopée Guitars and Ukuleles?

BigJackBrass

Charlatan, Humbug & Imitation Humorist
UU VIP
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with Mélopée Guitars and Ukuleles of France, either dealing with the company or playing the instruments? Online information is rather sparse and Toulouse is a bit far too travel for me at the moment.

The resonator models caught my eye, although they're not the most unusual instruments in the range.

Oh I like that resonator!

Oh I like that resonator!

Gorgeous, isn't it? I am a little surprised by the method used for securing the strings, though. That sort of slotted plate is something I've generally seen on cheaper resonators, often along with complaints about the strings breaking and the knotted end falling into the cone.

If you can read some French, there's a lot of info on the French forum (www.ukulele-forum.fr). Sébastien Berlinet, the luthier behind the brand, is in fact a forum member there.

His creations are highly esteemed, his prices are quite moderate and he's especially known for the ukulele building courses he offers. The banjo-like 'a truck just drove over me' model above, is in fact based on the polynesian/tahitian ukuleles with a soundhole in the back, and is louder than the ones by Motu. It also has a resonator built out of an old 45rpm vinyl record.

As for securing the strings in slots on the cover plate, that's only an issue if the slots still have burrs - Seb makes sure his strings won't break.

He also sells his creations online in case you can't get to Toulouse - his website has a 'boutique'.

Last edited:
Gorgeous, isn't it? I am a little surprised by the method used for securing the strings, though. That sort of slotted plate is something I've generally seen on cheaper resonators, often along with complaints about the strings breaking and the knotted end falling into the cone.

Can't really see as that part is blurry, but yea I'd think a tailpiece would be better

Top Bottom