Isuzi EAK-B Baritone - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
You're right, that is a very peculiar choice of tuning for an off the shelf baritone. Considering how attractive the price will make it to beginners I imagine it will end up confusing a fair few people.

Confused the heck out of me too, and I’ve reviewed hundreds!

A bit off topic, but I just want to ask how your super hyper strobo tuner works with say friction winders?

As always many thanks to your reviews and videos.

Exactly the same - the strobe tuner works like any other, but because it displays a strobe pattern that you have to 'stop' when in tune, it's just a much more sensitive way of displaying the reading. Same way of using it though. Clip it on and tune.

A bit off topic, but I just want to ask how your super hyper strobo tuner works with say friction winders?

As always many thanks to your reviews and videos.

It works through the vibrations in the neck from plucking a string.

Some tuners give you the option of using a built-in microphone for the tuner to hear the sound, or use the neck vibration to measure it. The Snark Super Tight, All Instrument clip on tuner comes to mind. Don't remember the model number.

It works through the vibrations in the neck from plucking a string.

Some tuners give you the option of using a built-in microphone for the tuner to hear the sound, or use the neck vibration to measure it. The Snark Super Tight, All Instrument clip on tuner comes to mind. Don't remember the model number.

Your post is also a bit off-topic, but I must say that TC Electronic Unitune clip does have some microphone in it. I see no mic visible, but when I put it on it registers the notes accoustically right when putting it say to a nearby leather couch that should otherwise be something that does not get any symphatetic vibrations from uke. When it is clipped on the environment noise don't bother though. :)

To Barry:
The strobe mode in Unitune is such, that only single display moving left or right. It is pretty useless unless good strings and tuners. I would not use it with friction tuners. Strobo mode also does not allow easy to compensate our ukulele imperfections.

The Peterson tuner might have a better display in that regard and perhaps multiple segments moving.

Jarmo - yes - it does have multiple segments. I've just used it on a soprano with friction pegs about 15 minutes ago - it works fine!

I won't disagree any with that getting open strings in tune 100% is I think very good for your testing purposes. Of the nut action and bridge placement. The strobe tuner will work very well with say electric guitar with low action and perfect set bridge fine adjustments. On top unwound strings at least.

An ukulele with even a perfect bridge placement on G and A strings and if it has an uncompensated saddle bone though might need some compensation down on C and E strings tuning. So then it is good could if the strobe tuner could tell the minus cents. in terms of better melody intonation play higher up the neck. Myself mostly am a cowboy open chord player, so not really that important the compensation in tuning. But I do solo too.

It is not any James Taylor compensation, it is questionable with say acoustic guitar. But if a guitar rings like a bell with many upper harmonics, being a higher end one, then who knows? My post just for uncompensated saddle bone and in general our uke imperfections :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom