Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $100 uke

Default $100 uke

A former music dept. colleague asked me for some help in finding a decent uke for $100. The instrument is for her daughter. Her daughter is a former trumpet student of mine and is about 17 years old. Initially I suggested she spend about $200 but I understand money is an issue. They have one son in college and will soon have to send their daughter off to college as well.
    I looked at the Luna Tattoo model online but have not tried it. Any ideas?

Mim has an Ohana Concert CK-10. 95 brand new. 85 b-stock. Actually she has a bunch of them. Great ukes and if you buy from Mims you know you will get a great set-up. Good luck!

I just bought an Enya Nova for my nephew. It’s under a $100. I bought it because of all the great reviews and they live in Colorado and I didn’t want him to worry about humidity, baby-Ing it, etc. it arrives today!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Mim has an Ohana Concert CK-10. 95 brand new. 85 b-stock. Actually she has a bunch of them. Great ukes and if you buy from Mims you know you will get a great set-up. Good luck!
    You can't go wrong with Mim. Shopping for a used uke would get him more for less, and the used ukes I've bought have looked new.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Yeah, if you get the right $100 uke, it will be perfectly fine.

It seems like the difference between a $100 uke and a $200 uke (in the same brand) is sometimes just bling. Not always the case, but be conscious of what you're paying for.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Yeah, if you get the right $100 uke, it will be perfectly fine.

It seems like the difference between a $100 uke and a $200 uke (in the same brand) is sometimes just bling. Not always the case, but be conscious of what you're paying for.
    Sometimes the $200 uke is just bling. Sometimes you get features that noticeably improve sound quality, like Kala's solid spruce top ukuleles for $150 or Mainland solid mahogany ukuleles for $200.

Does the Ohana CK-10 have fret markers on the side of the neck? That's my biggest complaint with Ohana. Some of their models have this feature and some don't. Enya usually doesn't have side fret markers either.

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts56 View Post
    A former music dept. colleague asked me for some help in finding a decent uke for $100. The instrument is for her daughter. Her daughter is a former trumpet student of mine and is about 17 years old. Initially I suggested she spend about $200 but I understand money is an issue. They have one son in college and will soon have to send their daughter off to college as well.
    I looked at the Luna Tattoo model online but have not tried it. Any ideas?
    I bought the Alvarez mentioned in this article for under $100, and am very pleased with it (there is additional favorable press about the Alvarez in its marketing as a special Grateful Dead edition):

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...for-beginners/

Knowing what I know now, I would probably buy the Enya Nova per ghostdr's post. Lots and lots of favorable reviews/comments, plus it is a very rugged instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
    I bought the Alvarez mentioned in this article...
    There's also the Alvarez series of Grateful Dead ukes, although it's unlikely a teenage girl would be a Dead head. : )
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

If you can get them there look at Tanglewood ukes, Union series and Tiare series

https://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/...ategory/tiare/
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

Jim has a Flea for 150 listed on market place would be a excellent first uke.

Thread Information