Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Harry122, Randy McSorely, RIP

Oh no, I will miss Randy so very much even though we never met in real life. Randy was one of the first people to welcome me to the seasons and I always enjoyed his recordings, his comments and happy nature.

I am very thankful to have met Randy here and glad that we had the season not long ago where we all celebrated Randy and his music. RIP my friend.

Randy was a ukulele in human form. Always bringing joy and smiles to everyone around.
    I have lost one of my most cherished friends. Randy has a brother and a father to me throughout the years. He has encouraged me to post often and write as many originals as possible. As you have experienced, he always found the good in all our works and kept us moving forward, even when we didn't quite see it ourselves. His infectious smile and creative wit had us feeling better the moment he walked into a room. He insisted on hugs when you arrived and a bigger hug when you departed. I have been playing in a group with him for the past few years and recently finished a CD together. I have been blessed to see his creative genius over and over again. His graphic artistry and use of language always left me in awe. As a part of Forté and the Pianissimos, he brought both outstanding originals, humor, and class to every performance. His original "Summer's End" was his way of saying goodbye.
    He always spoke so highly of his Seasonista family and you have all brought him so much joy. We will be performing many of his originals and favorites at his memorial on Monday. This will be a hard gig to get through, but his lyrics will keep us laughing.
    https://music.apple.com/us/album/sum...8?i=1473759985Randy Hug.jpg
    Last edited by forte555; 11-27-2019 at 04:59 PM.

This thread has been the best place to visit for me this week. I have cried and laughed remembering things over the time he was here. His spirit certainly DID touch us all the same way. I love what forte555 said about him insisting on hugs. He always made me feel like I was getting a virtual hug with every vid and every interaction.

What a guy! I loved him to death and already miss the heck out of him.

His positivity and that big grin was the best part of him!

Gratitude galore for his example of how to live and give love. He certainly spread it throughout the virtual world.
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

I was devastated when I heard from Elena of the news of Randy's death. I had genuinely no idea he was ill. We didn't get off to the best of starts, but once we'd uncrossed wires & swords, our relationship picked up rapidly. I once sent him a clip of a schoolboy named Ruari McSorley talking about snowy weather in Derry, NI. In return, he sent me a link to McSorley's Old Ale House & Bar, reputedly NYC's oldest bar. This October, I was in NYC, and went on this odyssey (tip for non-New Yorkers, cross streets in Manhattan don't go all the way crosstown below 8th St) in search of McSorley's, just so I could get a shot of me standing outside to send to Randy.
    I never got to send it. It was nightfall before we found the bar. I was using a camera, not a smartphone, and I still haven't got round to sorting out the pictures from the trip. Blah, blah, blah. Clichés about "seizing the moment", "taking the time to talk to a friend" have never rung so true as they do right now.
    Last edited by redpaul1; 11-28-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton soprano | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Just seen a post from Joo about this on Facebook about this having been criminally absent just recent. Absolute punch in the gut, like Joko said. He was and is everything good about this place. I've missed his regular contributions recently, had no idea that this was the reason why.

Rest well Randy.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

Well,that's a bugger and no mistake. I didn't know the lad was even poorly as I've been away for a while now. Bummer. Sympathy to all his family.

This is very sad news. He always brought such joy with his funny songs. My condolences to his family. He will be missed.

A collaboration Randy and I recorded. Of course you can tell the song was chosen by Randy. I had never heard of it before. Cheers Randy.

Love that you reposted that Rex!

Randy didn't want to be the subject of pity or conversation. He would tell me of some little (or big) health issue and then always, always end his message with "but life is good! I have no complaints and so much to live for."

When he first told me of his illness he assured me it was private and I was the "only one" he has told. I always felt surely that wasn't the case, but the message came through that he didn't want his illness out there for public knowledge because he knew we would all see him differently. He wanted us to see his whit, his humor, his smile and joy of playing the uke.

Randy was a super talent in every way. His vids almost always had a simplicity in how he played. That was the Systemic scleroderma. His fingers were tight and it was difficult for him to make even the simple chord shapes. His lungs were effected and singing was a struggle as well. Aren't you glad you didn't know! All you see is his joy for playing and making us smile.

Randy was musically gifted. He always worked out his own chording to songs and could change keys on the fly. He told me his band mates were always impressed by that. But, I believe his real gift was that of making people feel welcomed and happy.

If I could only be,
    like Randy in a tree,
    Id monkey around and make you smile,
    and hope you'd stay and play a while.

He is infectious! He made you want to pick up the uke and join in.

This year has really taken me away from the seasons. During part of my remodel in the house I had packed all my things and stuffed closets full of everything I needed out of the way. Randy contacted me and asked me to participate in a collaboration. He said it is just a small song and he would handle all the editing, saying I know your swamped right now and its ok if you cant but it could be fun. (Of course! Everything Randy does is fun.)
    When he told me the song I knew just what I needed in order to pull it off. I had to pull out the boxes and find that wig and set of Austin Powers teeth!
    Believe me its was worth the time and effort and it was just the distraction I needed from all the construction going on.

Last edited by lelouden; 11-28-2019 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling...what else :)
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    Love that you reposted that Rex!

Randy didn't want to be the subject of pity or conversation. He would tell me of some little (or big) health issue and then always, always end his message with "but life is good! I have no complaints and so much to live for."

When he first told me of his illness he assured me it was private and I was the "only one" he has told. I always felt surely that wasn't the case, but the message came through that he didn't want his illness out there for public knowledge because he knew we would all see him differently. He wanted us to see his whit, his humor, his smile and joy of playing the uke.

Randy was a super talent in every way. His vids almost always had a simplicity in how he played. That was the Systemic scleroderma. His fingers were tight and it was difficult for him to make even the simple chord shapes. His lungs were effected and singing was a struggle as well. Aren't you glad you didn't know! All you see is his joy for playing and making us smile.

Randy was musically gifted. He always worked out his own chording to songs and could change keys on the fly. He told me his band mates were always impressed by that. But, I believe his real gift was that of making people feel welcomed and happy.

If I could only be,
    like Randy in a tree,
    Id monkey around and make you smile,
    and hope you'd stay and play a while.

He is infectious! He made you want to pick up the uke and join in.

This year has really taken me away from the seasons. During part of my remodel in the house I had packed all my things and stuffed closets full of everything I needed out of the way. Randy contracted me and asked me to participate in a collaboration. He said it is just a small song and he would handle all the editing, saying I know your swamped right now and its ok if you cant but it could be fun. (Of course! Everything Randy does is fun.)
    When he told me the song I knew just what I needed in order to pull it off. I had to pull out the boxes and find that wig and set of Austin powers teeth!
    Believe me its was worth the time and effort and it was just the distraction I needed from all the construction going on.

It’s kind of reassuring to know you’re as silly as Randy was Linda . Thanks for the music Randy, but especially, thanks for the silliness.

Thread Information