Harry122, Randy McSorely, RIP

Jazzbanjorex

Reaction score
My Seasonista Friends it's with a heavy heart that I inform you that our friend Randy has passed away last night peacefully in his sleep.

I asked his wife Lori if I could post the notice to his community of ukulele players and she said please do.

I will send her a link to this thread so if you wish to say some words she could see what Randy meant to us.

To me Randy was always smiling and light hearted. The songs he played and the songs he wrote alway brought smiles. We collaborated on a song or two. He helped me with green screen editing. He stole my backgrounds as a joke so I, in turn, stole his. I'll miss him and his music.

Thank you my friends.

Last edited:
Thank you Rex for starting this post. I dreaded this day and the thought of starting the post. I am overwhelmed with sadness. Randy was more like a kindred spirit or a brother to me. He always put a smile on my face. You couldn't help but smile all through every video he made. His ukulele spirit is something that we should all emulate. He was generous, kind, clever, funny and heartwarming. He just really knew how to make this place fun in every way. I will miss him like crazy!
He shared with me his health struggles a few years ago and so this has been a long journey of support for him. I am glad that he is out of pain and no longer suffering but my heart goes out to Lori and the family. He always shared with me how wonderful she was. I adored how much he adored her and how he always shared his appreciation for her.

I would encourage you all to repost collaborations here as well or a favorite song of Randy's.
I have his recent CD and it is such a joy to have. I will cherish it.

Lori, my heart is with you!
xx

Here is one I completely for got about. Randy sent me a message wanting me to do this song with him. He had no idea that my sister and I had this "secret language" called double talk. We used it all the time as kids and could spin a sentence so fast that our tongue would trip and spit would fly.
Randy always picked great fun songs.

May Randy rest in peace and Lori find comfort in the warm memories of their days together.

Randy was deeply touched by the love he felt from those who participated in the Season I hosted in August that was dedicated to him:Season 392 - Hats Off To Harry. At that time I knew that Randy felt the challenges had become greater for him, but I also knew that he considered himself the luckiest person in the world. He told me that in our every email.

And each time we communicated, he always made me feel as if I were the luckiest person in the world. His friendship was inspirational in every way.

Thank you again to everyone who joined with me in giving Randy the gift of his very own Season. Linda

Here's the link to Randy's Season:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140907-B-Season-392-Hats-Off-To-Harry!-B

Last edited:
God bless Harry for giving us so many wonderful songs.
I think he poured his spirit into the song Summer's End.
I covered it for the Hats off to Harry season. SOTU 392
Being a gardener I really appreciated the attention to detail in this song.
Now that I look at the thumbnail I see that the bee has got ragged wings
a sure sign that it was Summer's End. There are always signs that Summer is about to end.

Last edited:
Such sad news.What a lovely man he was.
Like some others here I just thought he'd become a bit too busy to participate here lately. He never really bought up his health issues here as far as I remember. I guess plenty of his close friends here knew he wasn't well.
I was lucky enough to win a small gift in his Hawaii season.It came with a beaut card.I got a real kick out of that.
I used to look forward to his vids a lot.
Glad Linda (Turtledrum) did her tribute season.I think he really enjoyed that a lot.

Well this is such sad news.
We corresponded a lot over the seasons years. Somethimes agreeing and sometimes disagreeing.
He mentioned his health issues but I had no idea that this was coming so soon.
I know leaving his house and moving into a unit was not a move made easily.
I loved what he brought to the seasons.
I thought of him when Berni recently asked if anyone dared predict what he might bring as a theme this week.
I considered him a friend.
My thoughts go out to Lori and I wish her all the best in what is ahead for her. Lots of positive thoughts - which I'll keep sending whan ever I think of Randy.
I don't know what comes next - I don't think Randy did either - I think we sometimes corresponded about such things - whatever it is I wish the best for you my friend.
He covered a few of my songs which always pleased me greatly.
The fact that he chose to cover this one tells me we were pretty much on the same page....

I shed a tear whan I told my wife about Randy's passing so I'm certainly more than just a little blue - Randy brought us some wonderful music....I won't forget him and I sure hope his YouTube channel stays up.
One of his beaut songs that I covered ...

Last edited:
So so sad news. Harry122 was always somebody with funny ideas on the other side of the pond, and a beloved companion over years for me. I wish a lot of strength for his family, and rest in peace, dear Randy!

I'm really sorry to hear that. He will be missed!

This is so unexpected. I'm terribly sorry to hear this. His videos were infectious to see and his smile just lit up a song whenever Randy appeared. Like a lot of people here. I was expecting him to make another video, but his health problems were a lot worse than thought. My prayers and thoughts go out to his widow at this time.

This is the first video he made when did my desserts seasons last year.

R.I.P. Randy.

Last edited:
Really bummed and blue to see this news! Another sad reminder of fleeting this life is. . .

Randy's joy and wonderful sense of humor were a huge inspiration to me. When I first found the courage to join the seasons, he was a huge supporter and always had kind and encouraging comments when I posted videos. While I had the sense he was dealing with some health issues, I had no idea it was this serious. He will definitely be missed! Thanks for sharing this and some of his past threads! R.I.P. Randy, and heartfelt condolences to his wife and family ~

So sorry to hear about this. I never met him, but felt we'd have been buddies had we met.

In response to this news I feel I can only re-post the song I wrote for him, which I meant with all my heart and still do. I am so glad he got to hear it.

When I was new here and I hadn’t long been playing the uke, Randy’s praise, encouragement and support helped me enormously. His warmth and his humour shone through in his wonderful music. He personified everything that’s special about this place. My favourite song of Randy’s, on the face of it simply a fun song about desserts, carried a deeper message about living life to the full. It seems particularly relevant today:

And here’s a song I wrote about Randy for Linda’s wonderful and timely recent season in his honour:

As I say in the song: when I grow up I wanna be like Randy!

I was devastated when Rex messaged me of Randy's passing. Four hours north of me and we were never able to get a lunch or jam session in. Randy is the poster child for the man I want and need to be. Even in disagreement he was kind and gentle. We talked often via private messenger but I'm horribly sad that I never was able to meet him in person. Tuesday, November 5th I had a health scare that I nearly lost...then this news. We are never gauranteed tomorrow. Never miss an opportunity to love. I will miss you dearly my friend. Lori, my deepest condolences to you and your family during this time. You will soon learn the impact the your dear Randy had on us here at the Seasons.

I just saw this vid from Lynda. I was already missing Randy because he had not posted for a while. I am happy that we have his songs!

So sad. He was such a sweet guy that personified the joy of playing the ukulele and he will be missed. Here is a song he wrote for one of the Seasons I hosted.

A song I've written today.

Remembering the Season in which Randy asked us to sing songs written by other Seasonistas. Thinking of the ways he brought us together that week. Honoring his love of songs we'd written.

"Halo" - Original by Turtledrum (Words and music Copyright Linda Opyr, 2019)

Baritone ukulele, vocal - Linda

randy was such a lovely guy. it's hard to believe he's gone. his regular weekly "predict" vids were always such a laugh and made the anticipation thread THE place to be on saturdays, and he brought so many great songs to the seasons. he did this one for one of my birthday weeks, a perfect pick of song from his fave band, the beatles, that seamlessly blends into happy birthday at the end

thank you Randy for your music, your encouragement of us all, your infectious joy.

Top Bottom