Harry122, Randy McSorely, RIP

Oh no, I will miss Randy so very much even though we never met in real life. Randy was one of the first people to welcome me to the seasons and I always enjoyed his recordings, his comments and happy nature.

I am very thankful to have met Randy here and glad that we had the season not long ago where we all celebrated Randy and his music. RIP my friend.

Randy was a ukulele in human form. Always bringing joy and smiles to everyone around.
I have lost one of my most cherished friends. Randy has a brother and a father to me throughout the years. He has encouraged me to post often and write as many originals as possible. As you have experienced, he always found the good in all our works and kept us moving forward, even when we didn't quite see it ourselves. His infectious smile and creative wit had us feeling better the moment he walked into a room. He insisted on hugs when you arrived and a bigger hug when you departed. I have been playing in a group with him for the past few years and recently finished a CD together. I have been blessed to see his creative genius over and over again. His graphic artistry and use of language always left me in awe. As a part of Forté and the Pianissimos, he brought both outstanding originals, humor, and class to every performance. His original "Summer's End" was his way of saying goodbye.
He always spoke so highly of his Seasonista family and you have all brought him so much joy. We will be performing many of his originals and favorites at his memorial on Monday. This will be a hard gig to get through, but his lyrics will keep us laughing.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/summers-end/1473759968?i=1473759985Randy Hug.jpg

Last edited:
This thread has been the best place to visit for me this week. I have cried and laughed remembering things over the time he was here. His spirit certainly DID touch us all the same way. I love what forte555 said about him insisting on hugs. He always made me feel like I was getting a virtual hug with every vid and every interaction.

What a guy! I loved him to death and already miss the heck out of him.

His positivity and that big grin was the best part of him!

Gratitude galore for his example of how to live and give love. He certainly spread it throughout the virtual world.

I was devastated when I heard from Elena of the news of Randy's death. I had genuinely no idea he was ill. We didn't get off to the best of starts, but once we'd uncrossed wires & swords, our relationship picked up rapidly. I once sent him a clip of a schoolboy named Ruari McSorley talking about snowy weather in Derry, NI. In return, he sent me a link to McSorley's Old Ale House & Bar, reputedly NYC's oldest bar. This October, I was in NYC, and went on this odyssey (tip for non-New Yorkers, cross streets in Manhattan don't go all the way crosstown below 8th St) in search of McSorley's, just so I could get a shot of me standing outside to send to Randy.
I never got to send it. It was nightfall before we found the bar. I was using a camera, not a smartphone, and I still haven't got round to sorting out the pictures from the trip. Blah, blah, blah. Clichés about "seizing the moment", "taking the time to talk to a friend" have never rung so true as they do right now.

Last edited:
Just seen a post from Joo about this on Facebook about this having been criminally absent just recent. Absolute punch in the gut, like Joko said. He was and is everything good about this place. I've missed his regular contributions recently, had no idea that this was the reason why.

Rest well Randy.

Well,that's a bugger and no mistake. I didn't know the lad was even poorly as I've been away for a while now. Bummer. Sympathy to all his family.

A collaboration Randy and I recorded. Of course you can tell the song was chosen by Randy. I had never heard of it before. Cheers Randy.

Love that you reposted that Rex!

Randy didn't want to be the subject of pity or conversation. He would tell me of some little (or big) health issue and then always, always end his message with "but life is good! I have no complaints and so much to live for."

When he first told me of his illness he assured me it was private and I was the "only one" he has told. I always felt surely that wasn't the case, but the message came through that he didn't want his illness out there for public knowledge because he knew we would all see him differently. He wanted us to see his whit, his humor, his smile and joy of playing the uke.

Randy was a super talent in every way. His vids almost always had a simplicity in how he played. That was the Systemic scleroderma. His fingers were tight and it was difficult for him to make even the simple chord shapes. His lungs were effected and singing was a struggle as well. Aren't you glad you didn't know! All you see is his joy for playing and making us smile.

Randy was musically gifted. He always worked out his own chording to songs and could change keys on the fly. He told me his band mates were always impressed by that. But, I believe his real gift was that of making people feel welcomed and happy.

If I could only be,
like Randy in a tree,
Id monkey around and make you smile,
and hope you'd stay and play a while.

He is infectious! He made you want to pick up the uke and join in.

This year has really taken me away from the seasons. During part of my remodel in the house I had packed all my things and stuffed closets full of everything I needed out of the way. Randy contacted me and asked me to participate in a collaboration. He said it is just a small song and he would handle all the editing, saying I know your swamped right now and its ok if you cant but it could be fun. :) (Of course! Everything Randy does is fun.)
When he told me the song I knew just what I needed in order to pull it off. I had to pull out the boxes and find that wig and set of Austin Powers teeth!
Believe me its was worth the time and effort and it was just the distraction I needed from all the construction going on.

Last edited:
Love that you reposted that Rex!

Randy didn't want to be the subject of pity or conversation. He would tell me of some little (or big) health issue and then always, always end his message with "but life is good! I have no complaints and so much to live for."

When he first told me of his illness he assured me it was private and I was the "only one" he has told. I always felt surely that wasn't the case, but the message came through that he didn't want his illness out there for public knowledge because he knew we would all see him differently. He wanted us to see his whit, his humor, his smile and joy of playing the uke.

Randy was a super talent in every way. His vids almost always had a simplicity in how he played. That was the Systemic scleroderma. His fingers were tight and it was difficult for him to make even the simple chord shapes. His lungs were effected and singing was a struggle as well. Aren't you glad you didn't know! All you see is his joy for playing and making us smile.

Randy was musically gifted. He always worked out his own chording to songs and could change keys on the fly. He told me his band mates were always impressed by that. But, I believe his real gift was that of making people feel welcomed and happy.

If I could only be,
like Randy in a tree,
Id monkey around and make you smile,
and hope you'd stay and play a while.

He is infectious! He made you want to pick up the uke and join in.

This year has really taken me away from the seasons. During part of my remodel in the house I had packed all my things and stuffed closets full of everything I needed out of the way. Randy contracted me and asked me to participate in a collaboration. He said it is just a small song and he would handle all the editing, saying I know your swamped right now and its ok if you cant but it could be fun. :) (Of course! Everything Randy does is fun.)
When he told me the song I knew just what I needed in order to pull it off. I had to pull out the boxes and find that wig and set of Austin powers teeth!
Believe me its was worth the time and effort and it was just the distraction I needed from all the construction going on.

It’s kind of reassuring to know you’re as silly as Randy was Linda :D. Thanks for the music Randy, but especially, thanks for the silliness.

Hi I just heard about this sad news. From the other side of the world I feel sadness over Randy's death. Always in a good mood, with the smile in his voice and always willing to make us laugh. I loved the way he approached the songs and his videos. I am very sad. A lot of strength for your family and a hug for all of you.
Sara

I found this one from back when Randy was first diagnosed. The doctors gave him 2 years to live. He was way too stubborn to listen to any doctors. :D / That was three years ago. Way to show it to them Randy.

So sorry to hear this news. Randy's smile lit this place up for years and he'll be sorely missed. Much love and strength to his loved ones. I'm glad I was lucky enough to know him through this community.

I too have been in and out of the seasons and was shocked to learn of Randy’s passing. He was the sweetest man and was such a big encouragement when I first started trying to contribute to the seasons. I loved all of the novelty songs and tongue in cheek tunes he brought. I still think about him and all the music he brought to my life. Side note, Randy was, hands down, my wife’s favorite seasonista. She always said that she could see joy and happiness pouring out of the screen when one of his videos came on.

Condolences to all of Randy’s friends and family. May his memory be a blessing.

So...I am crying. Lets just put that out there from the get go and let everyone know I am a mess before I type his tribute to a dear friend I never had the chance to meet in person. In all my time here (since season 16), I never met a more kindred spirit. Randy only had one goal in life, and that was to make people smile. He did that for me a thousand times- every week, with his comments and his videos.
I think Randy gave this support on every video I have made, and I love him for his endurance. I know I watched every video he made because he made me smile. His brand of quirky mixed with his unending enthusiasm._and desire to make the rest of us smile, well, it was contagious. That is really a great catalogue of songs and for that I tip my hat.
That all said, Randy was also a regular volunteer defender and rescuer of wildlife, and that is what I do as well when I am not playing. That connect probably lead to our recent conversation about leaving the seasons....reckon they were tired of us. It also likely lead to Turtledrums last season. Please remember Randy and all the amazing things he brought you, because he was totally on the fence about wether he belonged here anymore. I feel that he not only belongs here...he is why we are here. We just need to remember that.
Make people smile in his memory. My god I love this man. Bless up Randy- thanks for all the smiles.
Now to cry more...dammit I loved this guy.

Everyone,

Thank you for posting your memories and tributes to Randy on this thread. As a close friend and bandmate of his, I know that he truly did chrish this group and the weekly "Seasons". He encouraged me to participate and post videos to the seasons with my great friend Forte555, my fiance Shannon, father Andy, and brother Bryant. Some of my best recording, mixing, arranging, and producing work was done in creating videos to share with you all. I look forward to continuing this with all of you.

Our band, Forte and the Pianissimos, was glad to be able to honor Randy at his Celebration of Life last week in Wisconsin. We played all of his music included on the album "I'm Gonna Play Uke" and more. If you have not heard the CD yet, do yourself a favor and give it a listen. The CD can be found on all streaming platforms or you can send an email to <ajrahm88@gmail.com> to get your own physical copy.

Many of you will recall the song "Summer's End" that Randy wrote last year. Give that song a listen again. Here's a spotify link to our recorded version from "I'm Gonna Play Uke" <https://open.spotify.com/track/6zZZHlOeGtsvNBZtwT5DKr>. If you want to listen to his original version check out <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCwqMEubEq0>.

Please continue to enjoy Randy's music and share it with your friends and family. Forte and the Pianissmios are committed to continuing his legacy and sharing his wonderful music at our shows. Again, thank you for posting and sharing with all of us. The news of his passing hit our Forte family hard and we found great peace reading all of the wonderful posts from the seasonistas. Thank you all!

Aloha and Mahalo.
AJ Rahm

Attachments

• IMG_6761.jpg
    IMG_6761.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom