Kala Solid Maple Concert Cutaway?

I couldn't find any reviews out there on the Kala Solid Maple Concert Cutaway. I did find a lot of negative comments of Maple as a tone wood though (dead/dull). Anyone have experience with this model :confused:
Specifically anything about brightness, sustain, and loudness would be great.

https://kalabrand.com/collections/solid-flame-maple-ukulele/products/ka-asfm-c-c

I had one and I really liked the sound, very bell like and fun. i did end up selling it because I prefer a thinner neck profile (same reason I sold all my Ponos), but I had no complaints about the sound/tone/build quality on the Kala. They were all top notch.

I had one and I really liked the sound, very bell like and fun. i did end up selling it because I prefer a thinner neck profile (same reason I sold all my Ponos), but I had no complaints about the sound/tone/build quality on the Kala. They were all top notch.

That's what I was hoping to read. How would you rate the loudness?

I can't comment on the Kala cutaway but I've played the maple Kala Elite and it was the exact opposite of dead/dull! Pretty darn full voiced and on the brighter side. I ended up going with the Kala Koa Elite instead (more mellow) but the maple was nice. My maple backed guitars were also on the bright side.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I hate quiet ukes and made that mistake with Pono (twice!). They are very well finished, but just don't project. In their case it wasn't the wood choice, IMO they're over-built.

I own an old Pono MT and it's a real screamer—too loud to balance in ensemble playing—but it's 6 or 7 years old and well played in. The best thing is to try the instrument out before buying as there is lots of sample variation and you never know what you'll get otherwise.

If maple is a dead tonewood, then why would violin makers use it?
I guess a builder who isn't savvy could make any wood sound dull.
I had a uke built for my best friend of maple with a spruce top, she says it's the best sounding uke she's ever played.
The builder knew what she was doing.

If maple is a dead tonewood, then why would violin makers use it?
I guess a builder who isn't savvy could make any wood sound dull.
I had a uke built for my best friend of maple with a spruce top, she says it's the best sounding uke she's ever played.
The builder knew what she was doing.

I do not believe violin makers use maple for the top like this uke.

It was definitely loud, louder than the Loprinzi Mahgonay Concert I used to have....that's one uke I regret selling. Wish I had kept it.

Top Bottom