Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soprano by Choice

Default Soprano by Choice

I play fingerstyle on the soprano because I like the way it sounds best. Who else here is partial to the soprano?

I'm primarily a concert player, but I completely understand your choice. Some things just sound more "right" to my ears on a soprano!
    Ukes include (but are not limited to)
    • Blackbird Clara
    • Kamaka HF-2A (Koa Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (Acacia Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (Spruce Top Concert)

I started out mainly interested in tenors. At first I didn't understand why someone would play soprano until I saw someone who could really play playing their 20's Martin 2M. All of the sudden I got it! I have owned 3 tenors and I sold my last one this summer. My biggest uke is now my Takumi concert. I own two other soprano's, have one being built, and am considering another. More and more I love soprano ukes. Sometimes I think I would want a tenor again for low G but my concert actually sounds shockingly good with low G so maybe I'll try one on that again. There is something so unique and so cool about a really good quality soprano though.
    Last edited by CPG; 11-27-2019 at 04:44 AM.
    Takumi TC-1M Mahogany Concert
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)
    David Hanson (Cripple Creek Mandolins) Mahogany Teardrop Soprano
    Rebel Mango Double Creme Soprano

Like many of us I started out with a tenor three years ago, since then have tried baritone through soprano and everything in between. Now I play soprano exclusively (well I do have a concert flea that I leave out). There is nothing better than strumming a soprano.

Andy

I prefer listening to / watching someone who can really play a soprano over any other size (George Elmes springs to mind). When it comes to playing, though, I always gravitate back to the larger scales. I think it's my history as a guitar player - the muscle memory is better on something bigger. I keep a soprano and love it, just don't play it all that much,

I have 3 soprano bodied ukes, but 2 are concert scale, & the other is tenor scale, I have them for two reasons, I don't get on with soprano scale, but sometimes I like to have the sound of their small bodies.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

IMHO the relationship of the soprano ukulele to the larger sizes is similar to that of the violin to the viola, the cello, and the double bass. All sizes of ukulele are different, one from another, and it is OK to specialize. I'm a soprano player.

John Colter

Guilty as charged.

Two sopranos, a soprano "stick" uke, and a baritone for when I want to pretend I'm a guitar player. My 2nd uke was a tenor because of the "kool-aid" I was drinking at the time, but I didn't drink enough of it and never really warmed up to it. Tried a concert too, and even though I really like the size of it, the soprano sound is what I like. That and being able to stretch across all those frets.

Long neck sopranos are pretty cool too; that was my first ukulele size.
    Glenn

I prefer the soprano. I started trying to learn the acoustic guitar. While looking for guitar tutorials for many of the songs I like I kept running into ukulele tutorials. So, I tried the baritone ukulele which was better but most of the the tutorials were in GCEA. I tried some GCEA strings on my baritone and it did not sound right.

I originally bought into the ‘big hands’ misconception so I got the larger scales first, concert and tenor. I wanted a travel ukulele, so I purchased a soprano. Perfect. Love the size, love the feel, and love the sound of the soprano. I gave away the guitar, baritone, tenor, and concert and now I only have a soprano.

Sometimes I feel the ‘upgrade to a concert/tenor’ or ‘soprano may be to small’ type comments are not fair. It seems the only sopranos that get universal love are vintage Martin or other vintage ‘K’ types made of exotic woods, and our buddy Timms of course. I never seen one of those being called ‘too small’ all I read about is the sweet vintage sound. Well, I also like the sweet modern sound of the soprano. I also think the ‘tenors are too big’ comments are unfair, but I digress…

“Ode to Soprano” by dgame
    Long live the soprano
    In big hands or small
    Long live the soprano
    The standard of them all
    Long live the soprano
    The old ones and the new
    Long live the soprano
    You should get one for you
    Long live the soprano
    For the adult and for the kid
    Get a properly setup soprano
    You will be glad you did

Well said, Dgame! That poem is worthy of the great W T McGonagall himself.

John Colter

Thread Information