https://youtu.be/ARitVwaig4I
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

There are a lot of misconceptions about size, volume, playability, etc, but there is a certain "something" to the sound and feel of a soprano. I love them.
    Last edited by EDW; 11-27-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Here! I play 99% soprano. Because I like the sound, and because I like the playability. I also play almost exclusively fingerstyle, mostly classical and early music.
    And usually with re-entrant tuning too. I like the possibilities of the re-entrant tuning a lot!
    Visit my ukulele web site: http://www.ukulele-arts.com/ for tabs, e-books and other uke related stuff!

I have a Kanile’a K1 soprano and an Anuenue Soprano Moon Bird. I feel super lucky to have these two sopranos.

I exclusively play sopranos at least for the moment. I started out with a few concerts because I listened to rubbish advice about uke sizes. Then I decided that I want at least one standard size uke because I'm a bit of a traditionalist. A few months later, I had sold all my concerts and now I only have sopranos. I'd be fine with some concert scale banjo ukes but even those are now all sopranos, almost by accident. I feel the soprano size and sound suit my play style the best. Lots of fast paced strumming and occasional picking la Roy Smeck and the like. I don't mind other people preferring concerts and tenors, but personally I feel I wouldn't gain anything by getting a bigger uke, at least with the same range. Recently I've decided that if I'm ever going to go for something bigger it's going to be something much more different like a baritone.

It's sopranos only for me. I did have a try of a concert last weekend but am not tempted to get one.

Mike

As most of you know I'm a Soprano fan, playing, collecting and rescuing.
    I just sold my last Martin. No worries I have a backups, a Gretch, a Samuel Osborn and a (Hot Hod) Regal, my favorite now. There will be more Martins from the rescue room this Spring when my new knee can literally stand it.
    I do play a Baritone for Low Down Blues, Dark Protest and just plain Sad Songs.

I’ve tried all the three main sizes in standard tuning and currently play the Soprano as my size of choice. Each size has its pro’s and con’s but for me the Soprano has the best balance of pluses and minuses for my use. That said I’ve found that, to my ears, some Sopranos are overly cutting or shrill whilst others others sing.

Others might think Sopranos should be jangly or cutting but I want something more balanced and melodic from my instruments, over the past few years I’ve tried and then passed on several Sopranos that didn’t quite hit the spot for me and retained two that do - neither were expensive so it’s not all about paying a lot. How you accurately identify a sweet sounding instrument from its design alone I don’t know and hence, for me, its been a process of case of buying them, setting them up and playing them to see what’s what. Any suggestions on an improved initial purchase selection process criteria would be appreciated, at the moment mine’s - rather too simplistically - down to go for a single piece top (so no stiffening along butt joint support piece) and a large lower bout.

TLDNR. Some Sopranos sing and some cut through, pick what works for you.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 11-28-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Tried (and owned!) all the scale sizes available, but very early on, decided Soprano was for me.As per my signature!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Thread Information