Soprano by Choice

Something about the soprano with low G makes me wants to pick it up more than any other uke types.

I’ve tried all the three main sizes in standard tuning and currently play the Soprano as my size of choice. Each size has its pro’s and con’s but for me the Soprano has the best balance of pluses and minuses for my use. That said I’ve found that, to my ears, some Sopranos are overly cutting or shrill whilst others others sing.

Others might think Sopranos should be jangly or cutting but I want something more balanced and melodic from my instruments, over the past few years I’ve tried and then passed on several Sopranos that didn’t quite hit the spot for me and retained two that do - neither were expensive so it’s not all about paying a lot. How you accurately identify a sweet sounding instrument from its design alone I don’t know and hence, for me, its been a process of case of buying them, setting them up and playing them to see what’s what. Any suggestions on an improved initial purchase selection process criteria would be appreciated, at the moment mine’s - rather too simplistically - down to go for a single piece top (so no stiffening along butt joint support piece) and a large lower bout.

TLDNR. Some Sopranos sing and some cut through, pick what works for you.

My acacia Koaloha Opio and my mahogany Ohana SK-38, have such completely different personalities. The Opio has a nice rich full sound and the Ohana barks. I wish you luck finding that elusive sound you're seeking.

Anything larger than a soprano is cheating .

A friend of mine has a Larivee soprano. I don't know its age but he bought it second hand, about ten years ago. I've never seen a better made ukulele. It is immaculate in every respect. It is most attractive, visually, and it sounds wonderful.

I covet that uke - not his wife, or his ass - just the uke.

John Colter

Soprano with standard Am7 tuning can be so floppy, depending of the strings of course. So one must have a really good technique to not over bend them with fingering.

Some chords are also easier to play with larger scales, depending of course also of the spacing of strings. Just my thoughts.

A soprano tuned up a whole tone to "a D F# B" is my uke heaven. It sounds great, feels nice and snappy, and intonates accurately. I love my Martin S-0.

Graham Greeburg I think would like a 20 year old Larivee.

Thanks for the pointer, if my research is accurate you used to have one of the older ones. Larrivée stopped production of that Uke for some time but have restarted - I’ve no idea whether the old and new versions are the same or not. Availability in the U.K. is poor and no doubt the price is well outside of my comfort range too.

Koaloha Opio was mentioned by someone else, they are available in the U.K. but the price is well outside of my comfort range - I really would need to play twice as well as I do before I could justify that expense to myself never mind my Mrs. I know a few people with Opio’s in the concert size and am somewhat jealous, I constantly remind myself of the 10th commandment (though shalt not covet). Indeed I like them sooo much that I’ve even considered playing the Concert size instead - yes, unfaithful to the Soprano, but as they say ‘everyone has their price’.

It’s been interesting to read of people’s experience of tone from the Soprano size, it certainly does seem to vary from model to model and from make to make. Having bought and sold a few Ukes over the internet my conclusion is that you need to expect to resell most of what you buy and judge the loss involved as a kind of rent, the cost of trying something different. I’ve had both some nice surprises and some disappointments; resale is a hassle and the costs for the more expensive Ukes aren’t that small. The hassle aside it’s been interesting and you learn a bit too, including that for dearer stuff it really is best to try before you buy (rarely possible via eBay).

Soprano by choice, but choose wisely to match your own ideals.

Last edited:
Soprano with standard Am7 tuning can be so floppy, depending of the strings of course. So one must have a really good technique to not over bend them with fingering.

Some chords are also easier to play with larger scales, depending of course also of the spacing of strings. Just my thoughts.
I know what you are talking about. Some of my chords sounded outright awful before somehow figuring (and fingering) it out.

I like the sound of my son's soprano, but I find it a bit cramped. D and E is a tight squeeze for my piano hands. Is that a given with sopranos?

I like the sound of my son's soprano, but I find it a bit cramped. D and E is a tight squeeze for my piano hands. Is that a given with sopranos?

I may depend on width at the nut. You may find others completely comfortable.

See I fancy a makala shark sop but I've no idea what they're like to play

As far as I know the Sharks and Dolphins are the same as each other bar their bridges. Dolphins make a nice beater and I’d have thought noticeably better than what your son’s Uke is (Spongebob Squarepants Pineapple). The Sharks don’t seem to be widely available in the U.K. but the (original and much older) Dolphins are.
(Edit. YMMV. For availability I’m mostly thinking of what I’ve noticed being offered new and second hand on eBay, usually I go for second hand - they’re cheap, resilient and have always made good beaters for someone.)

String spacing makes a massive difference to ease of use with thicker adult type fingers. Even with a 35 mm wide nut a custom version can have 30 mm over the strings. Fit a bone saddle and Martin 600 strings to a Dolphin and it’s much improved, fine to practice on and take to a Uke Club, and ideal for outdoors. A Kala KA-S is nicer sounding, a quite noticeable step up, but you can make music on a well set up Dolphin too - loads of cheap second hand ones on eBay so why not treat yourself.

Last edited:
As far as I know the Sharks and Dolphins are the same as each other bar their bridges. Dolphins make a nice beater and I’d have thought noticeably better than what your son’s Uke is (Spongebob Squarepants Pineapple). The Sharks don’t seem to be widely available in the U.K. but the (original and much older) Dolphins are. String spacing makes a massive difference to ease of use with thicker adult type fingers. Even with a 35 mm wide nut a custom version can have 30 mm over the strings. Fit a bone saddle and Martin 600 strings to a Dolphin and it’s much improved, fine to practice on and take to a Uke Club, and ideal for outdoors. A Kala KA-S is nicer sounding, a quite noticeable step up, but you can make music on a well set up Dolphin too - loads of cheap second hand ones on eBay so why not treat yourself.

Actually I've seen quite a few sharks available online in the UK. I would treat myself but I lack funds. And I'm not really allowed any more instruments (I have .....18 I think of all types.)

Top Bottom